BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: First Trip Questions
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives - 2008: First Trip Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Rempert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This will be our first trip to Bonaire this weekend at Sand Dollar. Can you help us with these questions?

1) Will our AT&T or Sprint phones work in Bonaire?

2) Can I buy Diet Dr Pepper (I know, a bad habit!)

3) Where can I rent an underwater housing for a Nikon D70 DSLR?

4) Does Sand Dollar have Wifi?

Thanks and welcome any other diving or dining suggestions too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #722) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 8:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You need to go to see Michael at Chat N' Browse right after the traffic circle on the left (seaside) next to Lovers Ice Cream and rent one.
2> No
3 Underwater Planet-see Murial. It's on the same road just before Chat N' Browse
4 ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Rempert (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Marge, I just read on another post that my AT&T phone will work with Digicel (sp?), of course with roaming costs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #725) on Wednesday, March 5, 2008 - 8:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can buy minutes cheap once on island. My calls home totaled $4 US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sparty (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #106) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 8:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where on the island do you buy minutes for an AT&T phone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3244) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I believe at Chat & Browse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt back to Bon 4/20 (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can get wifi in your room at sand dollar, though I can't remember the exact price. Chat & Browse, which is only steps away from Sand Dollar also has wifi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #753) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Many folks find it more economical to just rent a cell phone from Michael at Chat n Browse than use their "home" one.

Fish Eye Camera (the op for Den Laman and Sand $) is also an excellent resource for things underwater and digital.

Bari is a FANTASTIC! house reef by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ A3) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 1:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ken and welcome to BT. My wife and I are owners at Sand Dollar. Randy is right in that Bari Reef is an excellent dive right out front of SD with easy entry from the DBA pier. Bari is also a fun easy night dive. We have rented a phone from Michael at Chat with no problems, and for the first time later this year we plan to bring our laptop and use him for wireless. All rooms at SD have a safe that can fit a laptop and other valuables.

Buy Susan Porters book on Bonaire's dive sites as it provides tons of information and is under $20. When you are in the baggage claim area at the airport you will also see pamphlets on dive, dining, local events and various tours and services. Grab a bunch and have fun. If you have a truck and time, go up to the national park on a dive day off, its worth the trip.

Use the search engine at the bottom of this page to find lots of other information from posts about Bonaire.

Have a great trip.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chet Wood (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #789) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 3:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The probability of wifi working from your room at Sand Dollar this year is near 0 (very low signal strength); but is still available (as I sit now across a table from Michael), out in front of Chat'n'Browse & Sand Dollar Grocery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ A3) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #144) on Thursday, March 6, 2008 - 10:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info Chet. I had hoped since I was in A building that would not be the case as I have this image of sitting on the patio & surfing the net. Have to contact Michael on other stuff so will add this to the list.

Anyone else have an experience with Sand Dollar WiFi in the recent past?

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2937) on Friday, March 7, 2008 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The wifi at Sand Dollar is a heartbeat away from working but management has been dragging their collective feet in allowing me to remedy the situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (Sand$ A3) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #145) on Friday, March 7, 2008 - 5:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, I thought the WiFi was up and running at SD, my mistake and thanks for the information. Please email me privately if I can help with this situation.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2940) on Saturday, March 8, 2008 - 8:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It has been a constant problem with all the competing signals lately...I will explain when I see you...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration