BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Crime on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-07-01 to 2007-12-31: Crime on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PhilipA (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 10:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Simple question - has anyone heard of a burglary being solved, the perpetrators arrested, property recovered etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[less than 30 days] (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #251) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 1:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great question, that has been asked many times! I recently asked about a specific father, son duo who were apprehended with stolen merchandise and didn't receive any responses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2617) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 3:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To answer a 'simple question' simply: yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #409) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 12:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Many of them are solved. Property recovery happens less often, but I've heard of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By superd (BonaireTalker - Post #77) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the interests of applying equal documentation would the admins consider requiring the above to to validate their responses as they do those experiencing the actual trauma.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe[less than 30 days] (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #252) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

GREAT IDEA, how about it mods---lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dixie Drabod (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 8:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Text removed by moderator for not complying with posting rules concerning crime reports

(Message edited by modseb on October 1, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #255) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 4:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holy-freehollies, there's crime on Bonaire?

I would'a never fingured!

Hasn't this horse been stoned too death--yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7108) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Play nice kids, the GUARDS are very touchy about this subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dixie Drabod (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I noticed that. It's very unfortunate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7119) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 2:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dixie, welcome to BT.
The reason is that in the past people would post about crimes that might or might not have taken place. In order to keep this crime thing going, the guards put a simple rule in place. Back up your statement with a police report, no here-say- get the facts straight. Sounds harsh, but it does keep the facts straight.

And no, I'm not a GUARD, and I have been slapped more then most.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dixie Drabod (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you,

I hope that once I have that in my possession that I am able to post it, I am just doing any and everything I can think of to keep someone from making money off of something which wasn't theirs.

We moved to Bonaire because we like the people here and I won't let this deter us, there are bad people everywhere. It'd just be nice if they had to have a "warning" sign tatooed on their forehead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7120) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 4:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Email the report to one of the GUARDS. Do not post the report here as it might contain private info. See Administration bottom right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dixie Drabod (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, October 1, 2007 - 7:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Will do.

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John th'oldun (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, October 2, 2007 - 10:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm puzzled, why is everyone so reluctant to talk about crime? Evidently things get stolen, it sounds as though not much gets done.
What are the statistics for crime solving?

Does it all get covered up because someone is afraid it will affect tourism? Probably the reverse is true, look at most favourite tourist areas in the world- very high crime rates, but people still go to them. How about honesty in talking about it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mod Seb (Moderator - Post #86) on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - 12:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to Bonaire Talk, John.

We have instituted a rule requiring police reports to post crime reports, because we had a lot of trouble with false and or exaggerated reports, gossip, and outright lies being posted as fact. Often these were first time posters who stirred things up, who never participated further on BT.

Since the postings here are archived forever, we would rather not have our board devolve into Bonaire Crime Talk.

If you perform a keyword search on crime, or robbery, or burglary, you will no doubt find many references and postings about crime. In fact, had you read our posting rules before posting, you would already have the answers to some of your questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just asked a simple question about the overall safety of Bonaire, and what general types of crimes are usually committed. I don't believe the "terms" of this website would prohibit me from asking such a question, would it? Given the number of responses, I would assume that many on your island are open to chat about this subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9346) on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 4:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John use the Keyword search for your inquiry it has been chatted to death...an it is better to let a sleeping dog lie...Everyone is tired of talking about this subject.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John th'oldun (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 8:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And a lot of people are tired of hearing that we can't talk about it.
Keep at it John, I'm sure some areas have less crime than other areas which have crimes we can't talk about. I hear that Slaagbai is a very low crime area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Governments are clearly at fault on this subject. If we know someone has committed any sort of crime, simply remove them from the island and never allow them to return. If they ever attempt to return, don't let them get through customs. Is that simple enough? Let them find another island to loot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John th'oldun (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow - at last someone who sees and speaks clearly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe I should run for office. Woops! I forgot! I would make a terrible politician. I am full of common sense...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think Bonaire should use $5 out of every "exit tax" to use towards the deportation of criminals. A fine use of an unfair tax. Paying to leave an island? You have to be kidding me! So what if I don't want to pay it? or what if I want to swim to another island? Do I still have to pay it? Sounds like, "You can leave any time as long as you pay us $35..." I bet the World Court would laugh at this one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1263) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Departure Tax is usual in most Islands. Some are more some are less. John, the next time you go to Bonaire, email me, I'll be glad to pay your tax when you swim to another Island! As far as running for office! I will vote for you as you seem to be good deportation material!!!

Get a LIFE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #574) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

John, It's a very long swim to another island, and I believe (please someone correct me if I am wrong)the majority, if not all countries(including the US) have a departure tax. Not sure if you are full of common sense, just maybe some lack of knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia ** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3364) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ouch...who picked the scab off this wound....again!?!?! It was healing SO nicely!

LMAO, Jan & Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go to the next and last degree. Tax the fish that swim around your island. $35 to leave?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #496) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think you're right Jan. It costs me about $105 to leave Jakarta...only residents have to pay.

Bigger island, more money to leave. Not strange at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #709) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Its $80 to leave Venezuela, 2 years ago it was $60 at the Dominican Republic, $55 Puerto Rico ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4009) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kobi...lol...you're right:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

$80 for Venezuela? $60 for Dominican Republic? MAN! Just look how far all that taxation has gotten them! Hahah. You couldn't force me to go to either nation, even at gunpoint. What happened to freedom of movement? Guess most of you are happy with the tax. I'm happy for you, however Bonaire could be more discrete, especially if you want all the tourist dollars to remain happy as possible, like using some of that departure tax to attempt to reduce your burglary statistics to near zero. It's an island the size of JFK International Airport in New York! How difficult can it be locating known break in artists?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One more question. Is it possible to drill a well to obtain fresh water on Bonaire? Is it allowed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #576) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Most of us know what the policy is for reporting crime on Bonaire Talk. Most of us know, that crime is everywhere no matter where you travel or live. We all feel for each other when someone becomes a victim, and offer encouraging words to those affected and safety tips to avoid being a victim whether at home or traveling.
This thread should be moved to a different heading, as it really doesn't revolve around crime, but speaks about departure taxes.
John, no one is telling you to travel outside the US. If you do, you will pay departure taxes. There are laws that countries have that need to be followed. Whether you like them or not,it doesn't matter. I feel that you are someone who just wants to make statements to get a reaction. I will no longer react.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian back in March (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3456) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

John you wouldn't want to drink the ground water especially by other buildings as most sanitation is with holding pits and pumped out.

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AJNukeykjc&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gttD4_FvC0c

Do you still fancy digging a well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #472) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I really don't like the topic this is under, but will correct the above. You can get good, clean groundwater out of an inland well. As you get to close to shore, it becomes brackish. I haven't heard of any fecal contamination issues with any well on the island, although I'm sure that it is possible to locate one too close to septic facilities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Lamar (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brian,
I was unaware of such problems. It's an absolute shame. The waste could be dried, such as with the salt in the south-west and the byproduct burned and turned into energy, or burned on a barge at sea. This sort of waste dumping should not be allowed in 2007. As for the well. I live 100 meters from a salt water marsh. My well gives me fresh water which has an abundance of iron. If it is filtered, it can be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1264) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I THINK JOHN IS A TROLL!!! What do ya think? This is the last post to this thread for me! Good by TROLL...

(Message edited by ronindiana on December 30, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Moderator) (Moderator - Post #44) on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 6:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Enough.
This thread is closed.
ModMare

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration