BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Need update on Dengue Outbreak
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-07-01 to 2007-12-31: Need update on Dengue Outbreak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ******************Jerry***************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7972) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any info on the current situation with the Dengue Outbreak?

Louise takes some medications that has knocked her immune system to hell. She called her doctor and was told to stay away if it is in fact a outbreak.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2789) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes there are a number of cases and it seems to be letting up..You can avoid being bitten by covering up, using repellent and staying away from likely areas of infestation especially around sunset/sunrise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3773) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, that's not good news! As I mentioned yesterday, quite a few people are getting hit with it, and it's not in the remote areas. If you do go, spray like he)) constantly and cover up if possible.

I looked on the CDC site and they didn't have any info on Bonaire specifically. Also, it is hard to distinguish Dengue from other things. I wonder how many of the cases are being reported to WHO or the CDC.

In the current trends by the cdc...no mention of caribbean or bonaire...
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/dengue/index.htm#current

Intubation is 3-14 days...

Here's another good link

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/dengue/resources/DengueFactSheet.pdf

Hopefully someone on island can give us more info on the situation....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ******************Jerry***************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7973) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3774) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Michael...does this mean no sunsets with wine??? Why go to Bonaire...:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2791) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

no problem...just slather up and find a screened in porch...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #323) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to hear that Jerry - difficult decision - good luck - best wishes to Louise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ******************Jerry***************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7976) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Alex.

This is a real problem that we have to get some current facts. Is it growing? Subsiding?

We have some friends that got bit at the airport on arrival, spent ten days sick as hell.

What to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Hibdige, Lac Bay Villa (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can I add some details ???

Wherever mosquitoes holiday, so do risks. We regularly ignore malaria because it never happens to us. Dengue is equally popular these days but has received some extreme press because it is painful and it can be terminal. There has been a general increase in reported Dengue cases around the world in the last 24 months (I travel to Singapore and Malaysia and Borneo a lot) and it's profile is high. Likewise is the desire of the local health authorities to ensure that minimising the risks are understood and that basic and advanced precautions and preventions and protections can be implemented.

There have reported case(s) of Dengue in the Antilles this year - as there have in many other places. The dramatic increase in mozzie vacations this year due to the heavy rainfall has prompted the Department of Health activity in public education and awareness.

DOn't panic; just be prepared.

Trevor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marilyn M. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #331) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was there late Oct., early November and had a mild outbreak of Dengue. Three days while I was there, and a relapse of a week when I got back. My immune system is crap also, Jerry, but I usually come to the islands (Aruba and Bonaire) prepared with an arsenal of medications. I must also add that the mild case I had was probably due to my exposure since early childhood. I also didn't bother with mosquito repellent since I don't react to the bites in general - that doesn't mean I don't get bitten! Idiota! I have a nasal spray for bleeding problems, anti-inflimmatories (sp?) for joint pain, eye drops for the eyes, Tylenol for any fevers, etc., etc., etc. So I was prepared, but for other reasons! I didn't associate my symptoms with Dengue due to my other health problems until I got back and got sick again. I would say, the doctors know Louise best, as they know the medical side effects of her medications best. In my case, I believe an ounce of prevention would have done the trick. Just tend to be bullheaded and forge ahead! My niece in Aruba had Dengue for a month and she is usually mega healthy. She was pretty miserable. I think Trevor's right, no need to panic, just don't be foolish - like moi!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ******************Jerry***************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7977) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are not going to smell pretty, but will be bug-bite free!

Mid Jan should be a bit dryer as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sorrows (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This may be a stupid question, but how did they know they got bit on arrival? I mean, is it that obvious or that quick?

Trevor, you must have a very exciting job that takes you to Malaysia, Singapore and BORNEO a lot! Or is this about diving? Or both?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ******************Jerry***************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7979) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

"This may be a stupid question, but how did they know they got bit on arrival?"

There arms and legs was bloody from all the smacks. Started to feel sick the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia * (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2872) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry,
Praying that you two get there safely and get Z E R O bites! No one will care that deet is your choice of parfum :-) Be safe while there!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3777) on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorrows, we always spray BEFORE we get off the plane on Bonaire...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #324) on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 4:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, there is a DEET repellent which does NOT stink. IT's called BUGGSPRAY (www.buggspray.com) and they have a vanilla-scented one (you'll smell like cookies) and a completely non-scented variety. It's EPA-approved and has good reviews. I haven't tried it myself, but will do so the next time I am on Bon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Davis, InfoBonaire, Bon. Insider (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #169) on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I saw a government report about 3 or 4 weeks ago that stated Bonaire had 12 reported cases to date in 2007, and I believe that "to date" was probably through October.

If I remember correctly, some nearby islands (can't remember if it was Curacao or Aruba) had a higher instance of reported cases. Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos ) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1171) on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's an interesting approach just outlined in Scientific America on the problem of addressing mosquito health concerns..I'm just not too keen on the "sparing the bugs part" but I'm sure we could adapt it somewhat.

A 'Flower' That Delivers Disease-Killing Treatments to Mosquitoes

In development: an artificial flower that kills pathogens in disease-carrying mosquitoes but spares the bugs

By Larry Greenemeier

The PROVECTOR will be designed to last about a year before its artificial petals need to be replaced. The product's lifespan will depend upon the mosquito population in a particular area and the amount of chemicals that they ingest.

Another dangerous mosquito-borne disease that Kollars hopes to stop is dengue fever, a disease in tropical areas that can cause headache, rash, achy joints and, in some cases—mostly in very young children—can be fatal if the victim goes into shock. "Our goal is also to develop the technology," Kollars says, "and then transfer that knowledge to help developing countries so they can produce them."

MIT Holding says it will cost about $3.7 million to conduct the next round of product development and testing, which will include trying out PROVECTOR on mosquitoes in rural Georgia come spring and in the Florida Everglades next summer. "We hope to have received some funding by next fall for overseas trials," Kollars adds. He says his team is testing four different prototypes of PROVECTOR to come up with the most effective mix of color and chemicals—not to mention, disposable petals that are biodegradable.

"PROVECTOR alone isn't the answer," Kollars acknowledges, "but it will interdict at a different stage than other treatments for malaria and other diseases. I've seen kids dying of malaria; it behooves those of us who can do something to do something."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gnann (BonaireTalker - Post #72) on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 2:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Somewhat relevant to the discussion above regarding when traveler's might get sick...

The usual "incubation period" for dengue (that is, the time from the mosquito bite until the onset of symptoms) is 5 to 8 days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Mena (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #153) on Saturday, December 1, 2007 - 12:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I got dengue last week but thanks God I´m fine now,of course I took a lot of liquids like fruit juices,gatorade,sardine soup,milk etc,this time my,sorry don´t know the english word for that,my plaquetas(that thing in blood that don´t let us bleed)didn´t fall too much,only 127,000 but I am kinda scared since this is the second time I got it,I´ve heard people have died from dengue here in Venezuela,I don´t know but it´s almost impossible to avoid mosquitoes,I´m thinking seriously to move to a country with cold winters like Argentina,Chile or Uruguay since I´ve heard they don´t have dengue because of the cold but so far they´re only plans since that´s not an easy issue but by no means I would like to get sick of that again.My advice if you get it,drink lots of liquids,and when I say lots I really mean it,every 15 or 20 minutes drink something and keep it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Frank (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #628) on Sunday, December 2, 2007 - 11:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Victor,

Plaquetas are platelets in English. Glad you have recovered. Sardine soup? Sounds terrible. No Dengue in New Jersey, but about 20 degrees F here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Haskell (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Monday, December 3, 2007 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was there nov22-dec 1 , used deep woods spray between dives , after cleaning up i used an organic cream called Cactus Juice , the stuff smells great and really works , I saw a couple of skeeters land and split before i could whack them , never got bit ... take that back , dont think i got bit , give me about another 12 incubation days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Mena (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #159) on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 1:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks David!,everyday I learn new words.Sardine soup is not that bad hahaha,but when one is sick one doesn´t mind too much about tastes if it means getting well soon.
Very cold up there in New Jersey right?,but I envy you hahaha,I like the cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3809) on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 11:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Victor, glad you are on the mend. I have to agree, sardine soup does sound icky...but if it heals, guess it's worth it!

Move to California...no skeeters and perfect weather:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Mena (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #160) on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 - 3:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Boat Chick!,I´ll keep California in mind hahah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #446) on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Perfect weather in California? I've been offered a job in California, and the weather in San Jose is one of the strongest negatives. It only gets warm enough to be comfortable for one or two months a year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3813) on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Kevin, San Jose is quite a bit North of us. It's been 44F the last couple of mornings, which is rare. It's around 75F and sunny right now:-) You must like it hot, and we all know I DON'T....lol!

That being said, most coastal Californian's wear flip flops 365 days a year (unless it's raining really hard and your feet might get wet)...plus, you blood will thicken up a bit once you've been here awhile...AND it doesn't snow in San Jose, that's a plus..right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #447) on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 - 9:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bear in mind that I lived 17 years in Phoenix before moving to San Jose, San Jose for 7 years, and then moved here. My home here has AC in the bedrooms, and I keep that set to 84F ... it runs just enough to keep my clothes from mildewing. I drive a truck without air-conditioning.

In San Jose, I would run the heat in my house from September until late May, and would bring a space heater to work so that my office would be comfortable. I would also block off the AC vents in the office for the summertime. I truly don't like to be in temperatures much below 80F for any length of time.

(Message edited by kww on December 5, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3814) on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 - 11:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhh....I see Kevin...you are more comfortable in the heat...and have lived in SJ...I think you should stay on Bonaire:-)

I lived in Phoenix for a few years, and hated it...it was too hot to do anything outside for more than half the year, and I'm a sports gal:-) I did golf one summer when it was 115F and just about died...lol...did get a hole in one on a chip shot...of course, I was by myself!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration