BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Cell phones
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-07-01 to 2007-12-31: Cell phones
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Hoyer (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any suggestions for cell phones? We will be in Bonaire the first week of December and I would like some advise on whether to bring my Verison cell phone and how to make it work on Bonaire.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Hibdige, Lac Bay Villa (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know the phone you mention but Bonaire uses the Tri-Band system (USA type) and the best bet for local stuff is to go and buy a SIMCARD from Digicell in the main street and have a local number - or pay whatever roaming charges your home provider raises for the privilege of travelling. In Europe we get hammered for roaming charges.

The Digicell SIMCARD will expire in 3 months or 6 months (not sure these days) if you don't use it. Still I prefer to have a local number. Costs about 25NAFs including some credit....

Trevor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was looking at my Verizon package - you can get a temp International package - roaming is 1.29 per min.. in/out can be $$ plus what ever else they tack on. Im calling them to check it out the cheapest I can see at this point is in Bonaire with Chat n Browse abt 75.00 for 2 weeks plus 1.5 hrs or so of airtime / inbound calls. Ill let u know what Verizon says..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

o.k. the deal with Verizon you have to call them and add International dialing capabilities on your line Bonaire is in there service lane - this part is free - then roaming charges apply of 1.29 per minute. Calls in will be on your local number - call out are based on roaming - but Im sure it will be roaming in as well they werent very specific on this point. Hope it helps.. It will me to have to shop around Bonaire for phones/returns etc..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #147) on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have Verizon and made a couple of calls from Bonaire in Sept. It only showed up on my bill as minutes used. I just dialed the U.S. 10-digit number with no prefixes. I got a call a day later that was a recorded message saying I should prefix the called number with 011 or something. I made no more out-going calls so I don't know if that would work, or cost me more, or what. On no previous trip had I even gotten a Verizon signal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (LBR27) (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are there cell phones available for rent on Bonaire? We have a cell phone available for our renters. A chippie card and a regular old calling card works like a charm.
Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry****************************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7831) on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Look up Michael at Chat and browse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1249) on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i'm surprised it took 7 posts before someone mentioned chat n browse. definitely the way to go.

also, when calling to bonaire from the states you have to prefix the number with 011...when calling the states from bonaire prefix it with 001.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I believe I mentioned it in post #3...I suppose cost factor is based on how much one plans on calling - or using for biz or personal to keep in touch. Then having to p/u and return, so it all depends "how much one wants to keep in touch"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2961) on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jan, my Verizon cell works in BON but I never use it. I have a Digicel phone. If you need it for emergencies then use it. If you need to have contact with work then rent one from Chat n Browse as all of my clients do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By YucatanPat (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 6:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just got back from Bonaire, and my wife and I rented a phone from Mike @ Chat for the week. We could not be happier with service, except she now wants a new cell as the model we rented was nicer then the one we have here at home. Mike also has fast internet service onsite, and is a hell of a nice guy to boot!

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Hoyer (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just spoke with the Verison international department and they told me there is no coverage on Bonaire although they show coverage on Aruba.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By superd (BonaireTalker - Post #80) on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

if you have international calling enabled iphones work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia * (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2749) on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jay, we use Verizon for home and business cells here in VA. Checked into this for our April and July trips this year and NO coverage at all in the Bonaire area! It's TOO expensive anyway soooo.....

Go to Chat N Browse; easy, fun, fast and great prices on phone rental packages. It's the ONLY place we go....Michael ROCKS!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2181) on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well i have a tri-band phone that works in Bonaire. My service is with At&t. I can tell you that the calls are $3.25 a minute and text messages are $ .50 incoming and outgoing....so be careful if leaving your phone on as this will incur charges whether you answer or not. i would leave mine off, get the messages all at once and decide which ones were important enough to merit a reply..I usually inform most people that need to contact me to use the internet and E mail me. I am now looking into SKYPE as well for those people I really need to talk to.

Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure the Verizon service covers Bonaire - Here is what I just got from the Verizon web: It is available with any digital phone plan service: I plan on just using for emergencies for my daughter, and house/dog/fish/gecko sitter. Go to Global phone services on www.verizonwireless.com I'll post when I get there in 6 days...

$1.29/min Aruba
Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Bermuda
Bonaire
Brazil
Cayman Islands
China
CuraƧao
Dominican Republic
India
Israel
Jamaica
Jost Van Dyke
Macau
Netherland Antilles
New Zealand
Peru
South Korea
St Maarten
Taiwan
Thailand
Tortola
Venezuela
Virgin Gorda
Virgin Islands, British

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angie Ohlson (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sry forgot to add, you must ask for I-dial to be added to your phone - txt & phone service is available for Bonaire - for the c.s. persons its under Neth. Ant. - check out the web.. it did take me about 25 min to get I-dial added, as the c.s. persons I spoke to seemed to be geographically challenged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kobi in Virginia * (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2787) on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You will have to talk to your local Verizon office and they do need to adjust/add to your telly. I was told, in July, that I could not get service on BON. Whatever the excuse the whole event just isn't worth it to me; one more electronic device to carry/pack, etc. PLUS I REALLY would rather rent from Michael. Painless, inexpensive and gives me a chance for a hug with old friends :-) I won't ever take my phone and I have to call home daily and call my business twice a day while in BON.

Good luck with whatever you do. I know you'll have fun on Bonaire with or without a phone :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1155) on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always rent a phone from Michael from ChatNBrowse.
So much easier than trying to figure things.(Roaming charges ??) Just go in and sign up with a credit card and get a #, then you will be reachable again. Had no problem calling anyone in the states.
My sister thought her service would be covered, but only to find out otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3197) on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

FYI, when we were recently on the island, I got a voice mail from Verizon informing me I could use my phone on Bonaire. The charges were as posted above by Angie. I was informed I would have to register for international calling to use my phone, but that was not the case, for I did not register, and did use the phone a few times. I am not sure that Verizon ever charged me for anything other than the text messages, however.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration