BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Going GREEN on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-07-01 to 2007-12-31: Going GREEN on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would like to "go green". Solar power, etc. It is not inexpensive and so I will have to do little bits at a time. I can start with the new energy efficient lights. Is there a "green" company on Bonaire? I remember reading about a couple on the wild side that went green. Ideas? Resources? Let me know and thanks. Maybe if we change out the light bulbs on our property, that could be a start. Green paint? Anything.
Shelley and my favorite color is purple!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2946) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

People living out in Bolivia have gone as green as one can go. Where you live will be hard I fear since you are attached to other dwellings. The lightbulb is a great start. Recycle class, unplug cell chargers. It is great we have a windmill. Hope to see more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 1:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Ann. How does one go about recycling on Bonaire? Where is the location to bring the stuff and is there a "thrift" store to donate still usable items that are no longer wanted.

We would like to add on the the bottom floor @ LBR. Not all of my friends and family are "bird friendly" and I have 3 which is the reason for the addition. It will also include updating the 1/2 bath to include a shower, a new bedroom for me (at my age, trapsing up and down stairs is not what I want to be doing) and of course the aviary for my baby birds!

Thanks again,
Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #546) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 3:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Many of the resorts have bins on their grounds for recycling glass. Not sure if there are paper & metal bins. Ask the homeowners assoc, or the management who handles the rentals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2639) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In the past, the electric company has had the power (intentional pun!) to refuse to deliver to a building using solar power. I believe they were then the water company also, making solar power where connection to WEB is possible rather difficult. Any change in that policy now? Any change coming with corporate wind energy?

(Message edited by glenr on November 5, 2007)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1244) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 8:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

a few years ago when the yellow garbage cans for recycling glass first appeared, i asked about getting one or two for lighthouse beach. at that time i was told that they were only for hotels and restaurants, not private residences. so for the next few weeks various hotel owners would hear a case of empty amstel bottles getting dumped in their recycle containers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if the WEB policy has changed? Who should I encourage to include Lighthouse and other multi-family dwellings in the recycling program on island? It will benefit the island in the long run.
Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2948) on Tuesday, November 6, 2007 - 8:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shelley, Great Escape and Bellafonte both have the yellow bins. I put everything in a box and weekly go by either. It works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Johnson, Massage Hut-Sorobon Beach (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Tuesday, November 6, 2007 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The new red Amstel containers at the grocery stores are for individuals to recycle glass. You can always put it in the yellow ones used by the bars and restaurants if you can't find a red one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By blue mcright (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #133) on Tuesday, November 6, 2007 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Shelley,

It is very easy to heat water for showers using solar energy. If you have a place to mount a water tank (on the roof is good) that could be another step toward "greening" your property. Information can be found online but there are probably people on Bonaire already doing it that you could talk to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Tuesday, November 6, 2007 - 7:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am so glad there are so many opportunities to get GREEN on Bonaire. Since I cannot get back before the end of the year, it's going to have to wait just a couple of months. Got an idea to set it up so my renters can easily participate! YAY and thanks. Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #186) on Wednesday, November 7, 2007 - 6:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Shelley.
For info on installing and supplying Solar panels and water tanks you should speak to Mini Kroon.

She is the Manager of Rento-Fun on Kaya Grande but also runs her own Solar business. She has supplied and fitted a lot of systems on the island.

She is Dutch but also speaks English & German (Not knowing what your nationality is).

I don't want to give her private number out on a public forum but you can contact her during office hours at Rento-Fun on: +599 717 2408 or +599 717 7166.

She is a really nice person and will be able to help you on this matter. Just tell her that Tony referred you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Voelkel (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Wednesday, November 7, 2007 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, great info Tony. I am glad she speaks English try as I might, I guess I am tone deaf. Trying to master other languages does not come easy for me.

I will contact her next time I come home.
Shelley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ScubaBanker (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #671) on Thursday, November 8, 2007 - 11:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Also right down the street at Happy Holiday Homes is Louise and she has recycle bins that she uses for her property. You might want to talk to her but know she is a very green individual.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration