BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Karpata shortcut
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-07-01 to 2007-12-31: Karpata shortcut
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #578) on Sunday, October 7, 2007 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone have any info on the condition of the "Karpata shortcut", that dirt road marked by a rock with a mountain bike symbol that eliminates the need for driving the long way around back to town? I know from previous experience that the "road" is pretty funky and was just wondering if it is passable at this time in a small Hilux truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Sunday, October 7, 2007 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were in Bonaire last week and traveled the road in question. It was rough but passable as normal. we met several other vehicles on the way.

should not be a problem with the truck-just go slow over the rough areas-mostly up or downhills.

Vann Evans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Natalie S (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We drove it a couple of weeks ago and it seemed a lot easier than it was the previous trip. The dirt road to Nukove was a lot worse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 12:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going down on the 20th again, and did not know the road existed. Could you please help me out and tell me where it is (between what dive sites), and where it comes out? How long of a trek it is before you come back out on the paved road?

I hate taking the long road home as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #582) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's the details to the best of my memory: at Karpata, you have choice of going right or left. Go right. In less than a mile, there will be a dirt road on the right that is (was?) marked with a rock that has a bicycle painted on it. Turn right on this road. It's a bit hairy, very bumpy, especially in a very steep uphill section but has always been passable. Make sure the tailgate of your truck is up and everything is secure so it doesn't go flying out. Stay straight on this road (do not bear left near the top) and it will take you out to the main coast road near Oil Slick Leap. It is an adventure but will save you quite a bit of time compared with the long way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vann Evans (BonaireTalker - Post #28) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just a quick note to add to Scott's excellent directions--the rock marking the road is RED.
Vann Evans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stine (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 8:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was there a little over a year ago and the road was fine. They paved parts of the hills if I remember right. Saves a ton of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4972) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 10:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just went over it last week, rock is red...road is bumpy in alot of areas (more than usual) once you pass the strip of poured concrete...it gets better....Hope that helps..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1136) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 10:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last May the rock was gone, but just turn left the first chance you get and you will be ok...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #144) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 - 11:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Works a lot better if you turn right :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mrs. Tribs - BT Bon Meet Aug 08 (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4999) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 5:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's what I was thinking Bas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Burnham - Blennylips Bonaire (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #143) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When you take the Karpata shortcut, be sure to visit Bonaire's tallest tree.

Well, okay. It may not be the actual tallest tree on Bonaire, but it should be...definitely the coolest tall tree!

Coming from Sabadeco, take the first left, but harder to describe when coming from Rincon. From the satellite photo, you can see it is just after one of the stretches of concrete road.

Cheers,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1139) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My other LEFT!! Duha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tad Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate the help with the shortcut. Can't wait to try it! Driving time really cuts into my drinking time. Can't let that BAC level get to low!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daphne T Felix (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been driving the dirt roads of Bonaire for years. They save time, even at the lower speeds, and get me closer to the other side of the island where there aren'r many divers. The climb-in can be a challenge but the diving is great, although not for the casual diver. (currents and waves).

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration