BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Crime?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2000-01-06 to 2001-03-07: Crime?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Martin on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Definately don't want to affect tourism, but...we're heading down at the beginning of September, and my guy (a Dutchie who is currently in The Netherlands on business) tells me he just heard on the news over there that Bonaire has just had a murder and that the police are extremely corrupt (of course, you have much of the same going on everywhere these days!!). Anybody feel comfortable elaborating on that? What's going on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 12:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have never had a problem with crime
and we have been going over 10 yrs. Just got back from 3 wks there .
At no time do we feel unsafe in Bonaire,anywhere. We take reasonable precautions with our valuables.
I think the crime thing is well overstated. We think it's one of the safest, friendliest islands in the Caribean.No beggers anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The double murder victims were discovered this past Sunday morning at their home. The victims were long-time residents of Bonaire, Alfons Pleumeekers, a 60 year old businessman, and his 52 year old wife, Maria del Carmen Lopez. No motives or suspects have been made public. (We have been told that it would be against the law for the police or prosecutor to release such information until the investigation is complete.) Local speculation is that it was personal.

The public reaction has been intense. A somber protest march is scheduled for Monday afternoon demanding action in this situation and against all crime in general on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First of all Amy, let me answer you before addressing Linda's comments. No, I don't feel comfortable elaborating about the homicide. I knew Fons well and will miss him and his contributions to the Bonairean community. I will say thank you to Lorraine for her comments. Her statements are based on personal experience and what she states holds true for our visitors and residents alike.
As for speculating as to whether the crime was personal or a robbery, etc. that will come out in the investigation. Corrupt police? I don't believe that is the issue here at all. The issue is that our police crime units are not used to investigating these sorts of crimes because they just don't happen here. (They are being aided by outside agencies). I do think it is very sad that this happened here and my prayers are with the family. As for Linda's report, I see she has reported "just the facts" and has called attention to a painful internal tragedy. I hope that this does not become an issue until after the results of the investigations are complete and the island community has had a chance to mourn two of its own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lonnie hoover on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Crime is a serious and growing problem on Bonaire . I don't believe the local police are corrupt but inexperienced, poorly trained and generally unconcerned when it comes to foreign travelers, especially Americans. The police are far more interested in how pretty they look in their uniform and ridding around in a car or truck with a blue light on top. The whole problem with the growing crime problem on Bonaire is that the good and solid citizens of the Country are largely apathetic. The idea that "if it dosen't affect me then it is not a problem" is the general view by both Bonarians and many people who contribute to this news link when the subject of local crime is raised.. Case in point, Lorraine; I enjoy your reports and contributions very much, however your last comments about crime on Bonaire being no big deal because you use common sense precautions is just short sighted and ill-informed. I've been comming to Bonaire frequently for 16 years and I can assure you that crime is very real, very serious, and a growing problem. Fortunately I have never been the victim of serious or violent crime but I personally know of several people who have been robbed at gun point and/or had their rooms burglarized (sometimes while they are sleeping).. These poor people get little or no support from the local authorities. Crime on Bonaire is a lot like the piss-poor service ALM offers. Everyone knows of horror stories tourists have suffered at the hands of ALM for years but no one in authority on Bonaire seems to give a tinkers damn. Certainly no one in authority has ever steped forward to do anything about it. The crime problem gets a similar lack of care or attention. Everyone on Bonaire, especially business people and officials, are keenly aware of the serious and growing crime problem, but as long as it is only happening to American tourists few if any are willing to demand swift and sure apprehenson and punishment. I hope official Bonaire will wake up and smell the roses before they allow this problem to kill the goose that laid the golden egg (eg. tourism) Believe it or not people are very concerned and the problem will only get worse unless or until the people of Bonaire rise up and DEMAND results from their government. Bonaire is on a slippery slope. Let's atleast recognize the problem and pleaes, any further contributors, don't be so naive as to suggest that all you have to do to be safe on
Bonaire is to use common sense precautions. If you are a regular visitor and have not yet been victimized by crime count your blessings because you soon will be, unless things change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Paugoulatos on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lonnie.You are right on target.We have been regular travelers to Bonaire three times a year for 10 years now and have been victims of theft on Bonaire twice now, both times in the past year. We're not blind to the crime on Bonaire and have always taken precautions so as not to be a victim of crime while there, however it seems to me that the thieves are getting alittle more brave and daring than in the past. During our last trip I woke up at 5:15 am to a barking dog only to surprise three dark skinned men going through my kids bedroom while they were asleep in their beds. I chased them out of my house and delighted in the fact that they left their shoes behind and ran barefooted away over rock and coral to get away. I then thanked my guardian angels that they didn't confront me with a gun or knife. I have to say that the experience put a damper on the rest of our vacation. We did call the police and they took the "evidence" and our report and that was the end of that. We jokingly figured that the three men probably got their shoes back that day! We all know that crime can happen anywhere, anytime, and we will continue our trips to Bonaire because we love the Island. However, I now look at faces on the streets of Bonaire to see if I recognize the guys I chased out of my house. It's sad that it's got to this point since vacation time is time for relaxing instead of being on constant alert against thievery or even worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The people of Bonaire (born or not born Bonaireans) see very well that we have a big problem here. End of March a petition circulated and about 2500 people (in the barios, churches, in Rincon and the Kaya Grandi) signed it - coming Monday there will be a big Demonstration (look it up in the Bonaire Reporter) from 4 - 6 pm - businesses will be closed.
The big problem is, that not the Island Government but the Central Government on Curacao is responsible for the Police, the Custom/Immigration and the Judges as well as Flight Control and Permits and the ALM and even the hospitals laboratory. Curacao with 160.000 people is much more important to them than Bonaire with just 14.500 people. And most civial servants dont like it at all to be send to Bonaire to work - many of them will find their ways to avoid to spend much time here. And as for the moment the crime problem is the most urgent one we do ask help from the Crown .
It is not "the American Tourist only" who suffers you can believe me - the Bonaireans themself have their fair share of break ins etc. And they too gave up to call the police for help - even more so, as they know exactly what is going on. We all realize very well that we need urgently help from Holland - as Curacao seems not willing (perhaps even does not have the money) to do something else than promisses.

The ALM problem: does anybody really thinks we are happy with ALM here on Bonaire?? The daily flights are now reduced to 5 or 6 flights daily - and there are many reasons possible that one of us has to go urgently to Curacao, Aruba or even Venezuela. You can not get a seet on the plane in short notice and if you are lucky to finally get one - you may count 4 to 7 hours to go to Aruba or Caracas (30 minutes flights!!). Fun !!! But we are as mentioned just 14.000 people - how much political power do we have???

Our Island Palament did also ask for help from Holland last week - using articel 26 of the Statut of the Kingdom of the Netherlands - which means doing so without the agreement of Curacao. And there will be big advertising in the Dutch Newspapers

Ÿour Majesty
HELP

The money for that (and it is quite an amout needed) was given by residants and the buisiness community

So put on a white T-shirt and join us on Monday afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lonnie,
You are right, I was not aware of that situation and my regards goes out to all who mourn them.
But, like Michael said, I speak from personal experiences. However I am aware of the problems with crime, but compared to the other islands in the carribean, Bonaire is safe. Grant you, there are more(one more is too many) than before and the lack of response from your gov. is sad.
Hope your demonstation get their attenion.I don't understand my gov. let alone yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cors Boom on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte,

I hope the dutch government will give help but I doubt that this will be arranged quickly. In some towns here in the Netherlands there are considerable problems with criminal behaviour by people from the Netherlands Antilles, mainly from Curacao. A deal to try to solve the problems both in the Netherlands and the Netherlands Antilles was struck between the dutch government and the central government in Curacao which also included restrictions for young people without much education from the Antilles to move to the Netherlands. A few few weeks ago this part of the deal was rejected by the parliament in Willemstad who insisted on free access for everybody from the Netherlands Antilles to the Netherlands. As these restrictions are the most important part of the agreement for the dutch government they have already indicated that they won't be very forthcoming in providing help to the Netherlands Antilles.

I hope they can achieve some kind of agreement to solve the problems. It would be unforgiveable to spoil a place as beautiful as Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cors
I hope that you are at least partly wrong - because the whole problem is, that Curacao does not care about Bonaire. They send here what they do not want on Curacao and Bonaire does not want to go the way Curacao is going. We do not need their imported criminals (in or without whatever uniform) and help for us only can come from the Netherlands. We never had these problems on Bonaire till a few years ago. For many years I never locked my car - I did not even know where the key for my house was because I never used it. And as we are so very small there is no reason that we can not go back to that situation. This small island can be controlled. And it is not even a big job for the Netherlands - we are smaller than your island Tholen - and Tholen has direct contact to the main land what we do not have here. You have to come and go by plane.
We have to try what we can and that is HELP from the Netherlands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vince couchara on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey Michael & Jake. glad to hear the crime problem is solved. VINCE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shelley Beban on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Vince. When I read about the tragic killings, somehow I knew you'd crawl out from under your rock to comment. The tone of your post indicates a morsel of rightious glee. I feel sorry for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, You are an ignorant child and I have never felt more like telling someone off. Your snide remarks are just further proof of your immaturity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Roberts on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Michael (and all others that might feel compelled to respond in anger to Vince)

Once upon a time I truly enjoyed a newsgroup that was centered around soccer. My daughter played the sport and the newsgroup was a great resource for information about tournaments, training and the competition. It was also a great place to whine and complain about referees, bad calls and other "sins" of the sport, as "Soccer Moms" are known to do. One game my daughter participated in ended in a forfiet because one of the girls on the other team took one of our girls out during the game, in a blatent foul, breaking her leg. The ref was incompetent and the spectators were out of control. As you can imagine, this game became a passionate, heated discussion online in the newsgroup. Allegations of racism, slanderous remarks, and all sorts of heated comments started flying on the bulletin board. All from people using it as a forum to fuel their own insecurites and immature egos. People that were passionate about the validity of their feelings and opinions would fight back and forth through postings. It got out of hand and the newsgroup was closed down.

I guess you are saying....and your point? Well, my point is, use care when dealing with immature, insensitve morons like Vince. I enjoy this newsgroup and its sense of companionship and commardary. Don't respond to childish posts and they will go away.

We share your concern about the crime on Bonaire and grieve your losses.

Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michelle Neff on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 7:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bravo Cheryl!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette & Mark Roswell on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So can anyone tell us how the march went today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john bressan on Monday, June 26, 2000 - 10:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Cheryl, If we ignore the Vinces of the world they will not have a venue and they will go away out of frustration. I would hate to see a great news group ruined by someone with such a closed mind
jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 3:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince is baiting us with his mean-spirited comments. I, for one, will not think less of you (targets) when his attacks are ignored from now on. (Just in case you were thinking his stink wouldn't dissipate on its own.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 6:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bravo, guys!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 8:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The March was a huge success in terms of attendees. Now, they real challenge begins. We are all of the same mind and will work to change laws, etc. that have been crippling our police and government.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To elaborate on Michael's message, the march and subsequent gathering at the Wilhelmina Plein drew between four and five thousand Bonairean residents, accounting for just about half the adult population of the island. Pretty significant turnout, especially when you consider that this was a solemn occasion. In fact, this is the island's largest ever turnout for any non-celebratory event (i.e. Carnival or Regatta).

The march itself started at just about 4pm, with the front of the march arriving at the Wilhelmina Plein about 45 minutes later, and it took another 20 minutes for everyone else in the march to catch up. Standing up above the marchers across from the Maduro Travel agency on Kaya Grandi, marchers reached all the way from the corner two streets up to further than the eye could see south. Quite an impressive sight!

There were about 45 minutes of speeches, sermons, and commentary by civic leaders (no politicians!) in Papiamentu, Dutch, English, and Spanish. Basic gist was that we need to press forward using the momentum gained to get the Dutch government help resolve the local situation on Bonaire, and provide aid for improved policing.

All very inspirational.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Baranoski on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 12:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Would an e-mail from a few concerned tourists to the Dutch government help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Roberts on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Post an address and I am sure quite a few of us, concerned tourists, would gladly write.

Are there any pictures of the gathering that someone could post? I believe the more publicity this outcry gets, the better. There has to be a way to get the Dutch government acknowledge the problem and begin addressing it.

Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cors Boom on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cheryl,

The department responsible for it is "Ministerie van Binnenlandse Zaken en Koninkrijkrelaties" (Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations). The politician responsible for the Kingdom relations is Mr. Gijs de Vries, the deputy minister (It might by confusing as the last name of the minister is also De Vries). You can send a message through their website. You can find the dutch version on www.minbzk.nl and the english version on www.minbzk.nl/international.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 4:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cors,

Thanks for the note and suggestion on where to send messages. Every little bit helps!

Cheryl - pictures? you want pictures? :-)

We just uploaded our photos (over 100 of them) from the march - see http://www.nettech.an/CrimeMarch for a thumbnail listing. You can click on the various photos to enlarge them.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 4:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have read all of the recent postings regarding the recent horrific crimes commited on the Island as well as the "petty" crimes, the situations at hand and what steps have been taken by the residents to bring this situation to an immediate head and what other steps those of us not residing on the Island might be able to take to show our support of the residents of Bonaire.

I followed Cors Booms suggestions and visited the website for the Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations and made my own posting, a copy of which is attached below. Perhaps others can take a moment out of their busy schedules to do the same. It might help......it certainly cannot hurt! Thanks. Carole Baker

I wanted to send a note to you to alert you to the fact that there are quite a few people very concerned with the increase in Crime on the Island of Bonaire.

This situation truly deserves your immediate and sincere attention. It appears as though a "bandaid" resolution to the increasing problem has been or is now being attempted. This will not suffice. You will need to direct an effective and forceful policy of "NO TOLLERANCE" to crime of ANY SORT on the Island of Bonaire. Some crimes might seem petty to some of the authorities, but they should not be treated as such and should be taken seriously and handled with a firm legal hand.

To quote your own Constitution:

"promote public order and safety and provide centralised management of the country’s police forces; "

The time has come to stand up and fight this slow spreading disease called crime before it eats away at the life of the Island of Bonaire.

There are many, many concerned persons who do not reside on Boniare who will be standing up and fighting for a safer more secure Bonaire.

I do thank you for your time and sincerely hope that you will take a serious look at this situation and take ready action. Carole Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 5:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake: Thank you for posting the demostration photos. Very impressive numbers of concerned residents.

I certainly hope your joined voices will be heard by the appropriate parties who have the power and control to make a difference.

Just remember "United we stand, divided we fall".....it works! Our hearts go out to all of those who participated in the March Against Crime and those who helped make it possible.

We hope it will bring prompt and permanent "positive" results.

Thank you again, all of you. Carole Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas brossard on Tuesday, June 27, 2000 - 6:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, I also would like to thank you for the photos...very impressive.

I too, have e-mailed the Netherlands Ministry with my message of concern for the island we all (on this board) seem to love.

For those of you on island, thanks for the good work, I know you're doing your part to help be part of the solution.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Goodenough on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, thanks for the photos. Did I miss something or where the white shirts part of the theme?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy Martin on Wednesday, June 28, 2000 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all of you for answering my question. I'm really happy to hear that so many are passionate about solving the problem. With resolve and teamwork you are halfway there. I also hope that this newsgroup will be the beginning of a continously growing network of support for the island. I will also be writing to the Dutch government as well as spreading the word among my other peace-loving friends and family...crime or no crime, I still look forward to my upcoming trip to Bonaire, to meeting these united people and to enjoying the beauty of the place...no one can take that away!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 9:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be sending my e-mail to the ministies today.
Congratulations on the peaceful turn out and please know you have our support in your efforts. Thanks to all for the photos and info. Amy, have a wonderful time in Bonaire, you'll see why so many of us come back again and again. Hope you catch a dolphin experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Roberts on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 1:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I sent my two cents in and I hope it helps. I posted below what I sent.

What an outcome for the march! The pictures gave me chills just looking at them all. Very impressive! Thanks Jake!

Cheryl

Respectfully I wish to address the growing concern about crime on the island of Bonaire.

My husband and I vacation there yearly and hope to travel to Bonaire more frequently after retirement. We have been the victims of "petty" crime while diving but have always managed to take it in stride until the recent, more serious crimes occured.

Bonaire is home to people we now call friends, having met them over the years while vacationing. Their grief is real and the concern for their safety we share is valid.

Your government must do something to stop the growing incidences of crime on Bonaire now, before more wonderful people are hurt and the tourism trade suffers.

Bonaire does not need to aquire a reputation as being unsafe as this is a difficult thing to undo. Please be proactive in this matter, instead of reactive!

As it is, getting to Bonaire is difficult and tends to scare many Americans away. ALM is being run so poorly that only the most dedicated or uninformed travelers use them to get there.

Don't let crime add to the reasons "not to go to Bonaire" as these reasons may soon outweigh the reasons "to go to Bonaire".

Sincerely,

Cheryl A. Roberts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sharyn spray on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have also sent a message to the ministries, if evryone who is a longtime visitor(or shorttime visitor who has fallen in love with the island like the rest of us)e-mails, maybe they will begin to understand how many folks treasure Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Collins on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 2:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are sending our e-mail today!!! Carol and John Collins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Ranney on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I sent my email today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kemp on Friday, June 30, 2000 - 6:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Quietly and in a very personal way I have made Bonaire my second home.I had no right to, and the kind people of Bonaire don't even know they have me as an unofficial citizen, but I am.With all the discussion about crime and the loss of innocence on Bonaire,I've been wondering what I can do to help.Yes,I will send the email to the Dutch ministry mentioned above.But is there anything else? I know I'm not alone in refusing to accept as inevitable that Bonaire's crime will escalate to the high levels known eslewhere in the world.Why should we? If we were talking about our hometown neighborhoods we wouldn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cors Boom on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The dutch parliament is adjourned now for the summerholiday and will be back at the end of august. There is a special committee for the kingdom relations. They will meet on the 6th september 2000 with Gijs de Vries, the minister responsible for the kingdom relations, and one of the subject is safety and justice on the Netherlands Antilles. If you want you can also send an email to the chairman of the committee. He is mr Paul Rosenmuller of the green party and his email address is P.Rosenmoller@tk.parlement.nl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herma merx on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 11:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've send our email to Paul Rosenmöller today. In Dutch.

Thanks to everybody.

Henk Roozendaal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Baranoski on Saturday, July 1, 2000 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My e-mails are off. I also plan to send a letter. There is still something to be said about letters, especially when dealing with government officials.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Fischer on Monday, July 3, 2000 - 2:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was staying at Brigitte's Cocopalm Gardens last March when my neighbors' rented truck was stolen. I believe that event became the catalyst for the petition Brigitte started circulating, and the plans for the demonstration. What an amazing experience to log back onto the newsgroup after several months and find out how much has happened! Of course, I'll be sending my letter Rosenmoller too. May all this lead to a positive outcome. I miss Bonaire and all its good people more than I can say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro on Tuesday, July 4, 2000 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm glad to see the issue of crime is getting the attention it duly deserves. Having been involved with tourism, I know nothing can be more destructive & damaging as the "perception" of being unsafe.
Many years ago I owned a condo on St Croix (1979-1985). Topographically, St. C was one of the most beautiful islands I've been on but frankly I have no plans of ever returning. The reason was crime..It got so bad that the owners of my condo voted to put up "decorative wrought iron" over our beautiful balcony facing the ocean. If I have to live behind bars, I will sell (which is what I did).
As I approach the time when I'm considering a less rigorus lifestyle, I again want to purchase somewhere in the Caribbean.. I've been to Bonaire many many times & have always enjoyed it. One of my top pre requisites IS SAFETY. My first trip to Bonaire was over 15 yrs ago & I'd hate to see this little piece of paradise destroyed by the cancer of crime as it has destroyed many other islands. I've been on the sister island of Curacao & frankly was not too impressed (I noticed a lot of wrought iron covering the windows).
It looks like the cancer is being dealt with & I wish the Bonaireans the best of luck/success in addressing this critical issue. Make no doubt about it,if not aggressively treated it will spread.
Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Van Beek on Tuesday, July 4, 2000 - 8:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just sent my email too! I can't bear to see Bonaire ruined!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl A. Van Beek on Tuesday, July 4, 2000 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just sent my email too! I can't bear to see Bonaire ruined!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickeywillemsen on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone.This is the first time I place a comment about the crime on Bonaire.I'm from Holland and a lot of people are proud that there is also a small part of Holland in the beautefull caraibean and that there is "still" a quit place to go to on there vacation were they can relax and be totally away from the hectic and agressive Holland.So it's very sad to hear that Bonaire is gliding of to the same level of living in many big city's of Holland also.The Dutch government is spending a big deal of taxmoney to refugees and all kind of other helpfunds witch I think is o.k. but now I really think that it's time to help our own small part of Holland in need and the people that live on the island also.I'm ashamad that my government is almost doing nothing about it and it's time that someone stands up and put his feet on the ground and do something about it.Like someone else said;it's a small island and it can't be that big a problem to solve the crimewave on the island but if the Dutch Gov. ain't doing nothing about it the problem only will grow.I will mail this message to the Dutch gov. also and hope that many more will follow and that they finaly will WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!
Best to everybody;Mikey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antonio Ferrer on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 5:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

In spite of the deterioration that is common to all modern industrialised society, Holland is still a special part of Europe, and that is, in a way, reflected on Bonaire. As you say, just don't let that slip away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cors Boom on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There was a full page item in last saturday's Telegraaf, the largest paper of the Netherlands, describing the problems with crime, not enough money for the police, mentioning the march and there was also a picture of the march included. Also the report from the central government in Willemstad about the police got quite a bit of attention on television and in the papers. Maybe something will come out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herma merx on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 11:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm surprised not reading any follow-up about the the double murder that shocked the island population. Last good news: about two weeks ago police's arrested three young Bonairians, already known as dangerous criminals. They have confessed now. Our police and D.A. seem to be sure that the case is solved. And not only that: also other violent crimes including an alarming weapon theft the end of last year. Polices digged up the guns around the house of the main suspect. The killers still have to be convicted and hopefully sentenced to very long time, but the people here feel relieved already.

Henk Roozendaal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Reporter had an article about it I thought was very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, July 19, 2000 - 1:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is more info on the murder case and
additional police, etc., in the July 19-25 issue
of the Bonaire Reporter on line also. It sounds
as though some serious efforts are
happening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cors Boom on Tuesday, August 1, 2000 - 3:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Today I got a reply to my email to the dutch ministry of the interior and kingdom relations and they are confirming something is happening. They had a meeting with the central government in Willemstad and the local authorities from Bonaire at the beginning of july. They say the government in Willemstad will arrange a building for the police and that 7 additional policemen have been sent to Bonaire and that soon training of 20 assistants will start. They have also agreed that the dutch government will fund a study to analyse crime on Bonaire and to see what can be improved. Let's hope that together with the recent success of the police the situation will improve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeroen aalders on Monday, August 28, 2000 - 11:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

so with a little help from the dutch government it should all work out fine...
Holland the country with the lowest unemployement, crime rate and the whealthiest in the world
sound like magic to me but they can get it done!
I am open to all progress please keep me informed
later
lilaflow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This morning I learned about a robbery which took
place last sunday during the carnaval.Police was
informed and yesterday a violent assault was
committed in the same location.Just now I read
everything about the murder last summer and all
the protests of people then.I can't believe that
on such a small island with no more than about
15000 inhabitants and with an immigrationcontrol
at the only acces(airport)it is possible to commit
such violent crimes without the police knowing how
to deal with it. Perhaps there is more to it than
just a lack of knowledge on researchtechniques.Are
we coming to a point that we must carry guns
ourselves to protect ourselves and ou

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not to make light of the recent robbery, but just as an FYI - the double murder from the spring/summer was solved. The killers have been convicted and sentenced for their crime.
A side benefit to the investigation was also the recovery of some stolen guns.

About immigration control, the airport is not the only access point. People can also arrive by ship and boat. Unfortunately, criminals don't check in voluntarily and it is quite possible to have unregistered visitors on an island. We even have yachts sail in without regard. I saw a French yacht anchor on the reef outside Lac Bay and eventually land passengers. I reported it's description and name to the Marine Park and they reported back that the Harbour Master had no record of the yacht. The yacht never reported in. Immigration control also does not control the arrival and departure of Antilleans. Or myself for that matter as a legal resident of the Antilles.

Jake and I stand behind any moves to reduce crime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 9:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda thanks for setting the unknown writer (and the record) right. As to carrying guns to protect oneself, that is simple insane. We don't even do that in New Orleans and we are navel deep in carnival right now (Mardi Gras).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James K. Andrews on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 2:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Where did this assault take place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Which one?

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Marshall on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly -
Don't you just love this time of year in New Orleans? You can spot the tourists a mile away by the fear in their eyes and the way they have a death grip on their four hundred dollar cameras!

I'm used to this city by now, but I have been all over the world and never felt as unsafe as I do here in New Orleans. That being said, carrying a gun is insane, absolutely.

I will be leaving for Bonaire on Sunday morning. I've never been, but have been all around the Caribbean, and I truly believe that when tourists are victims of crime, it is because they had some expectation that they could behave carelessly without consequences. I have gotten the impression from this site that the people of Bonaire and those who visit are much more fortunate and have a better sense of community than many other islands.

After the hurricanes over the last ten years, and after seeing the fedederal aide not going to the people who needed it the most, I haven't been shocked by the increase in crime throughout the rest of the Caribbean. I am saddened to say that I no longer visit the Virgin Islands because the crime and resentment between classes has gotten unbearable.

It's all relative, and we must all remember that crime is a fact of life wherever you go, from NY to MIA to NOLA, and people need to use their heads and not expect more just because they are on vacation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James K. Andrews on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake-
I was talking about the robbery at the carnival and the assault that took place at the same location. They were mentioned in the posting by anonymous. Were guns or knives involved?

I don't want the above questions to sound negative, but I don't know of any other way to ask them. I have been to Bonaire many times and want to know what is going on there. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 3:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There wasn't a robbery "at Carnival". There was apparently a burglary attempt _during_ the time of the kids Carnival at a house located on the west side of the big hill north of Kralendijk (I guess you could call the area "upper Sabadeco" - it's about 3-4 miles from town), as I understand it. No one was home at the time (other than the burglars of course).

Early Tuesday morning, the same house was struck, but this time the resident of the house (a Dutchman who is a Bonaire resident) was home, and ended being assaulted and robbed. It's my understanding that weapons of some sort were in evidence. The police are investigating.

Not a pleasant situation on a small island, but also not something that appears in any way targeted against visitors.

I hope that helps clarify the situation.

And I agree with Jennifer - I feel much more secure and safe walking around and living on Bonaire than I ever have in my many trips to New Orleans :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James K. Andrews on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 3:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake-
Thanks for your reply. I am sorry to hear about the robbery. I have been robbed in Bonaire too. After visiting the island many times over the years, feeling relaxed and just tired after my fourth dive of the day, I crawled into bed at 10:00 P.M. I forgot to lock the door to my room and had an uninvited visitor. I chased him (and the others with him) and only lost two flashlights. He droped the camera. Minor, but it made me angry. I have had other instances but I don't want to get into them. All said (and unsaid) I still feel safer walking around Bonaire than in some US cities that I have visited and lived in. Like others, I also wish I could live in Bonaire and can not wait to get back to MY ISLAND. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 4:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

James, where were you staying at the time of the incident, did you report it and what was the response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To All, living and working in New Orleans is just like any big city. As Jennifer said, you cannot come to a city and open yourself up. Right now it is much worse in New Orleans because of Mardi Gras. As said by Jennifer and Jake, I feel much more secure and comfortable on Bonaire than any other place I visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake or Linda:
Do you notice any animosity towards vacationers to Bonaire from from the local peoples. While Sherry and I were there we did not notice any but the question was always in the back of my mind. Here are 2 americans that obvously have spent quite a bit of money to travel to Bonaire have all of this expensive equipment. Not trying to incite a riot or anything just looking for casual observations. While we were off gassing we did drive through Rincon some and had a elderly local lady in the back yard of what we would consider a quite rundown little house just wave and yell hello to us as we were driving by. The only thing that we did see were a group of young kids around 8-12 years old riding bikes by the beach there at the flagsock dive site and slowing down to look into vehicles parked by the road. Of course this can be attributed to just simple curiosity. Who knows?

Barry Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We found Bonaireans in general to be very friendly. Your experience in Rincon sounds typical. It is common to wave at everybody you know (or don't) or a short little toot on the car horn. We knew we finally got it, the day we stopped in the middle of the road to have a conversation with someone passing by in another car - blocked traffic, nobody cared. A nod of the head to say hello, a cheerful "Bon Dia" when you enter an office, a wave of the hand to let you enter traffic are all very typical Bonaire.

A group of teens or preteens could have been purely innocent or up to no good. Personally, I find similar situations just as uncomfortable back in the US when I have to walk through or by a group of kids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 6:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My case in point, when diving Jeannies Glory I managed to get our truck STUCK !!!!. A truck full of Bonairians stopped, help dig us out and they only thing they would take is Amstel. We offered $$$$ (ice cream for the kids) but they refused, said a handshake between friends was all that was called for. I gladly shook every hand I could find (grin).

The cheeful "Bon Dia" is something everybody visiting Bonaire should learn to say when entering a shop or store, suddenly you are no longer "just" a visitor...

Barry, I too occasionally run into a "gang" youngsters when diving (Bonaire or elsewhere), I try to greet them and if there are questions I will take the time and explain. I have found that offer of coke (I try to have some in my cooler) usually makes for a fun time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This was not a run in, I just noticed it as I was driving by. This was just a curiosity side note to the topic on crime as to whether the Bonaireans had a bad feeling for being a destination for others with money to come to. Maybe I am too jaded and looking through those jade colored glasses to realize that not all people are bad. In this country driving a nice vehicle through a poor neighborhood gets stares and sometimes more. In some situations here you are considered a bad person if you have more than someone else, either earned or not. I have only been to Bonaire for a total of 21 days over 2 years and maybe it will take some time to get used to beleiving what I am seeing. My first drive through Rincon last year, I was nervous. This years drive through Rincon I waved at people and they waved back. Maybe thats why I love this island so much as to consider moving there one day.

Barry Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 6:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There's the answer! Go more often...make more friends...learn the language.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 7:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I must admit that I notice that more local people on Bonaire make eye contact, smile and wave than I ever experience in the US or England (particularly, for some reason, England --- virtually NO eye contact there!) BTW, I'm English!

I really enjoy that people in Bonaire acknowledge your existence (except occasionally the wait staff in restaurants!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James K. Andrews on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 8:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly-
I'd rather not say where I was staying at the time. I have always stayed there and will continue to. The next day I told the owner and the police were called. Two detectives were called and I told them what had happened. I lost two new dive lights. Hey, who needs dive lights in Bonaire? (I have been known to stealth dive.) I felt violated! I have had things happen to me before this and after. I still have gone to Bonaire and have had great times. I love the people there. They are very friendly. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 1:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jim, of course it is your choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Sweeney on Sunday, June 3, 2001 - 6:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bon Dia! I'm a first-time poster to this board. With the anniversary of Bonaire's March on Crime 2000 coming up this month, I wonder if anyone would comment about what, if anything, has happened in the past year. I guess we'd all like it if it was a "no news is good news" situation. By that I mean if crimes do not occur, then that's good, but we may not necessarily hear that as news. By the same token, it would be sad (but necessary) to read that responsible authorities have failed to adequately address this issue and that no real improvement has been made. I am curious to read any first-hand accounts regarding whether crime is less of a problem on Bonaire now than it was this time last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, June 4, 2001 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all, just been reading through all of your comments on the crime situation.

Very briefly, this December will be our 5th visit to the island. Fortunately, we have not experienced any crime whatsoever. Of course, we must all be vigilant wherever we are in the world.

I do hope though that the crime situation on Bonaire will improve. I certainly do hope that these posts will not put off any potential visitors to the island. It is a beautiful place and the local people are extremely friendly. Just going back to Lonni's point, I certainly hope the American situation will improve. I'm from the UK, but my partner was born in the US, is this something we should be concerned about? I wonder.

Anyway, here's something that's real good about Bonaire..
your picture
your picture
your picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, June 4, 2001 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ignore the first shot folks, wrong image. But there are lots of colorful fishes and the odd Black-Tip:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry on Monday, June 4, 2001 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lets see Tahitian Black Tips and Bonaire crime, they're pretty close. Certainly got a laugh out of me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, June 4, 2001 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, perhaps the black-tips should be patroling the island, ha, ha. Glad you had a laugh, always look on the bright side:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wimberly on Wednesday, June 13, 2001 - 8:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have walked around Kralendijk at night by myself when visiting Boanire and have never felt threatened in anyway. When traveling anywhere, I have always made it a point to not look overly 'prosperous'. I have seen people dripping gold jewelry in various parts of the world and the first thing that comes to mind when I see that - is someone is saying 'Look at me - I want to be robbed.'
Crime happens everywhere and I remember the old, bad biker image of the 1%'ers. On Bonaire 1% is 147 and that many bad apples can easily ruin the image of the barrel. In general the people of Bonaire are honest and friendly and I intend to return for many years to come. I worry more about the baggage handlers at LAX or the grifters in any large US airport more.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration