BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Fire at Hamlet Villa #13
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-06-30: Fire at Hamlet Villa #13
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As we speak the whole villa #13 at Hamlet Oasis is in flames. We can see it from our house in Republiek. Just spoke to a guy who lives closeby. They are keeping the adjacent villa wet to prevent that from catching fire. Looks like not much will be left from #13. Hopefully nobody got hurt. The fire brigade was there within 10 minutes which seems pretty fast for Bonaire. Undoubtedly more news and picture will follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2769) on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 9:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We could see the blaze from Donkey Beach. My friend from a business nearby said it was villa 10 at Habitat. He must have been mistaken...He said no one was hurt, thank God. Let's wait for official news...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2575) on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not nice!!!!

Most of the houses I have seen on Bonaire seem to be built of concrete blocks covered with stucco or concrete. That wouldn't be a likely 'burn to the ground' construction. Are Hamlet villas different????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5710) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 8:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brad gets the scoop with pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #479) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I stayed at #13 twice several years ago. I didn't think the place could burn like that, given its construction. Is there any idea of probable cause?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, AKA Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4482) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh my...how sad. That was a beautiful home. Thanks for the link Cecil. I had forgotten to check Brad's blog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrison D. Ipock Jr. (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glenn, Unfortunately, I have been witness to too many fires where brick, concrete, and steel buildings have burned to the ground. Hope no one was hurt and that the surrounding buildings are safe. I guess I will find out as I arrive tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #256) on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It caught on fire again this evening. We watched last night from Buddies and again tonight from Den Laman. I was snorkeling off Cliff/Hamlet this afternoon and it still smelled really smokey. Alas, we watched the sunset (great) and full moon rise (also great) and flames from the Bonaire tonight.

My cousins (Brad and Sandra Swanson) took the pics that really tell a wild, sorry story.

Bud Gillan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #652) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very short article in the Amigoe and a picture - heard it was #10, dutch owner http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_31945.php?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5991) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi! If you go to Amigoe click on Aboneer on the top bar and then on the left click on Antillen and it will bring you to the picture. OMG....what an intense fire. HORrible. Glad no one was hurt and it was contained to one unit. Thanks for the link, Brigitte! cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5992) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bud, do they have any idea how the flames kicked up again so long afterwards? I realize sometimes there are embers still hot but this sounds like quite a bit of time had lapsed between flare ups. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2647) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The owner passed by this morning and he was at a loss as to how it started again. Our fireman are pretty well trained but sometimes things can happen. As I understand it, there was a small propane tank involved in the initial blaze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3938) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW! what a beautiful home - was....
will definitely look for updates as to cause, etc.
Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2576) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Amigoe pic seems to show complete involvement, with fire in the window at the left. I wonder if this was a leak from the propane tank that filled the inside with a flammable mixture that was then ignited by a spark from something like a thermostat. That could explain the degree of damage with the construction type.

In the Vietnam war era it was known as a 'fuel-air bomb', used to level an area in the rain forest for helicopter landings. A main reason many towns, etc., have laws that require storage of liquified gas containers outside structures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #162) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen
Weren't those instant L Z makers amazing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2577) on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 8:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Was it unit 10 or 13? We have stayed in 10 for a number of years, and it had an american owner, but it was for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1857) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Didn't BT-er Jan Klos have some interest in #10?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koma a.k.a. Tom C. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4635) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 9:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, according to the profile on file Jan does have an interest in Hamlet Bonaire #10. See: http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/cgi-local/bbs/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profile=foxsanta-users

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1858) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

For Jan's sake, I hope it was #13 then - though I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Saw the picture. Definitely one of the Hamlet Beachfront villas, rather than Oasis. Hopefully that doesn't involve Jan. Still not sure if it is 10 or 13. Not used to the side view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos - ( Hamlet Bonaire #10) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #488) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 12:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan & Tom, thanks for the concern. Hubby and I own #10 at Hamlet Oasis/ Bonaire. Not to be confused with Villa #10 (just ask Cecil & Sue, Darlene & Tom), The villa is on the water. It is 2 different complexes although the Villas share our road. By looking at the picture from Amigoe, it looks like it was Villa #10. According to one of the realtor web sites it has recently been sold. I know in the past Villa # 10 had students living there from the Medical School. There were also several dogs living there as well. Maybe someone out there can shed some light on to which Villa it was, and if everyone got out unscathed. It is a horrible thing, never gone thru a fire, and would not wish it on anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane Korzeniewski (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Villa 10a had med students living there in the past. Also 2 dobermans, who were not there in recent years. 10A is N of 10. 10A had a pool. Anyone know which one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #481) on Sunday, July 1, 2007 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A friend living on island said it was 10A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2688) on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

10 was just sold and is intact, no fire..it was next door. Not sure what the new owners are up to as far as I know at this point. My housekeeper also works for them so I will ask and see what she has to say...

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration