BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Really Excellent News for Bonaire!!
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-06-30: Really Excellent News for Bonaire!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #980) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

According to this issue of the Reporter, DROB (Public Works) has approved the construction of a sewage plant with secondary & tertiary treatment and the contract has been signed with a German firm Dorsch Consult.
Implementation will begin on July 25 :-)
The island REALLY needs this desperately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ayorkiemom in Virginia (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #627) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

FINALLY....excellent news! Thanks for posting; long over due this is for sure!!!!!!!!!

Kobi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5703) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 2:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is wonderful news. Knowing how island time works, they may have a sewage plant working by 2020.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tararaboomdeay (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3912) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great news Vince - thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5530) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Super news! Makes my day hearing it!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, AKA Jah-neen (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4470) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Any details on where it is being built?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #421) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, their Website is here http://wasser-umwelt.dorsch.de/en/index.php and with just a little looking around I did find mention of the Bonaire project.
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5531) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, let's hope it doesn't take that long. :-( The reefs won't make it till 2020! I just got done reading the Bonaire Reporter and is saddens me the condition of the the reefs and if the island doesn't act quickly, soon I mean, they won't have to worry about the reefs or protecting them as they won't be there. I am glad to hear they are going to install tertiary treatment as well. Hey, it's a step in the right direction and I hope they move on it a.s.a.p.
That article really scared the begeegees out of me in regards to how fast a reef can die if not taken care of when stuff is already there that shouldn't be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5704) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Debbie even a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. What Bonaire has going for it is the lack of rain washing the nutrients onto the reef. If they can get the plant working fairly quickly even before they get all the pipes laid, that will at least be a safe place for all the honey wagons to dump their loads. That should remove a good percentage of the present nutrient loading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2571) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As Cecil points out, there is little rain to wash nutrients onto the reef. Unfortunately that is at least offset by the porosity of the coral structure of the island. Anyone who has watched the water spouting from the ground 200 yards across the road from Sand Dollar during onshore wave events can imagine that 'nutrients' poured into the 'ground' don't take long to reach the ocean. That was confirmed by dye tests some time ago.

The imminent start of the plant and the tertiary processing are indeed good news for the island, above and below water. Hopefully the German firm will be able to speed up the 'island clock'. We can all keep our fingers crossed that the plant will allow Bonaire to keep ahead of nutrient-induced coral loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5705) on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

All to true Glen, a couple weeks back I saw how this works in limestone. I was a mile off shore and 80' down from Barbados and the visibility was terrible from the fresh water leaching into the salt water. This was from the recent rain and the water had flowed underground out to the reef. The DM told me that only certain parts of their coast see this effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Bellevue Condos # 9) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #981) on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Without doubt I believe this issue may be Bonaire's biggest problem which if not addressed timely will have catastrophic implications for the island's economy.

As we are all aware there has been (& continues to be) a large amount of construction ongoing. It's easy to see the population of the island increasing as well as more tourist & cruise ships arriving. From what I read, the biggest factor in the eutrophication of the surrounding waters is the improper disposal/treatment of human waste. Let's hope the "tipping point" for a downward spiral of the reefs has not been breached & the project develops in an expeditious & timely fashion.
At this point, I remain optimistic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anton Galazyuk (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Monday, November 5, 2007 - 1:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am curious, does anyone have news on the project currently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin W. Williams (Pink Beach Properties (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #424) on Friday, November 9, 2007 - 11:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know that in the land I am in the midst of developing they are making me arrange some provisions for sewer connections. Nothing to connect to yet, but they are laying down rules so that new construction can be hooked in. Nothing that's a real big deal either ... just some rules on the road construction.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration