BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Bonaire Joining Europe
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2007: Archives - 2007-01-01 to 2007-06-30: Bonaire Joining Europe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Ashley Parkes (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone - please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject - I am new to this forum - but can anyone tell me what is the current situation about Bonaire potentially Joining Europe (Holland) - I have tried to find detail in the archives but I have failed.

Kap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #589) on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try this one
http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/36/305017.html?1166821321

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Ashley Parkes (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, February 1, 2007 - 7:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks very much for the "link" Brigitte, I will read this with interest.
Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Ashley Parkes (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Thursday, February 1, 2007 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Brigitte
I read the I have read the forum comments. They are very interesting. In the forum it mentions that Bonaire will enter Holland transitionally from June 2006 - did that happen ?????
Thanks
Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #591) on Thursday, February 1, 2007 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Talks between Holland and the 5 islands to come to an agreement about the new statuts of the different islands started June 2005 and this was supposed to have ended with the Slotverklaring... as explained it has not really, because of Curacao island government changing his mind after the signatures under the slotverklaring. 1.Juli 2007 was the date set for the transission period - if that is possible without Curacao is a big ???? - Talks continue, certainly with the 3 small islands and certainly more is possible for them than for St.Maarten without Curacao ... there will be island elections on all 5 islands in April and the Dutch government is in no rush to do anything about Curacao before that date ... if the people vote out these responsable parties (as they did in the elections for the central government last year) it would make things easier. We just have to wait for April ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joshua Holman (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 12:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's a pity the Curaçao has rejected the autonomy that The Hague has given. If they had problems with the pact, why didn't they raise this with The Hague before last Nov.? To me, this seems politics is placed before people, and that is sad, not just for Curaçao, but for Bonaire and the rest of the Antilles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #330) on Friday, February 2, 2007 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very few people think that the island government of Curacao is concerned about the welfare of anyone or anybody but the island government of Curacao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Ashley Parkes (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, February 6, 2007 - 7:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all the comments and educating me in the position for Bonaire.
Do you think that being governed / overseen buy the Netherlands will bring you into the European Common Market like Guadaloupe is ?? My understanding that the Island of Guadoloupe gets some benefits from being part of the EU in the form of grants for conservation etc. Am I right in that ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #597) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 11:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

here a link to the St.Martin Daily Herald with the latest information about the new status of the 3 small islands and St.Marten
http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/j226/sign226.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #322) on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 3:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Excellent news.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #605) on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

An article about joining Europe or not in the St.Maarten Herald
http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/j237/UPT237.html

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration