BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Events during the Regetta
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2006-08-06 to 2007-01-01: Events during the Regetta
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Raykos (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 10:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be bringing a small group to Bonaire October 7-14 for a week of Drive & Dives. Since this is also the time of the Regetta, are there any events that we should make sure we go see during the week and/or are there any times that we should stay away from town due to overpopulation?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #19383) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 2:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Stay away from town during the day and at night...traffic is a nightmare!

There is a "boat parade" but don't know what night it's on. All the boats get dressed up and cruise along the promanade...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Margarite and Jim Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2166) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

test

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Margarite and Jim Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2167) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Jeff! I was present during the opening night of Regatta year before last. Yes there is traffic, so park it and walk! I got to see the opening ceremonies which includes a lovely flag presentation and a speech by some of the local authorities,( lots of countries represented in this regatta.) Also there was an excellent band there from Curacao. I LOVED IT! There are also lots of little boothes...good for shopping and trying different cuisines .The people watching is first rate! Lots of local people and others also from all over.
The curious thing about the regatta is, there is so little wind on Bonaire in October.......would make it particularly challenging! I was told by some old salt that it started as a challenge between Captain Don and some other sailor...... who could get around the island first in conditions of no wind....... I don't really know, but I like that story!!

My understanding is that there will be either an exhibition or competition for the King of the Carribean, freestyle windsurfing kids. Very exciting. I know I will be there for that! (NO, you sillies!, I'm not going enter as a competitor! Not this year anyway:-))) )
The races go on all week ,I believe, some in the morning and some in the evening. Lots of different divisions from wind surfing to Sunfish to bigger boats.

Stay away from town during Regatta? Not this girl! I'll be there. Hope to see you too,Jeff!

Margarite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #19399) on Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 7:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Margarite...lol...I won't go during Regatta again! It was too crowded in town for me. We did go into town one night this last year as they had the booths downtown and the music, that was fun. But the cars and traffic were just too much. I have enough of that where I live...lol! I'm glad you enjoy it though:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Babs (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10987) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 11:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed the downtown booths, walking around and seeing some of the music and dancing! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2379) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No King of the Caribbean this year at Regatta but every year they have races in town and freestyle one day, usually Wed. at Lac Bay.

I loved Regatta my first time in 2001. The shows were great and lots of people. Let's see how 2006 is...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T-Shirt Divers John and Sue (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #433) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've been on a boat in two of the Regattas and will be there again this year. The boat parade is usually on Thursday. I like seeing the boat activity and listening to the music with the locals in town. See you all @ the Regatta!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4719) on Friday, September 8, 2006 - 10:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, I think my first regatta was 2001, too ! I LOVED IT... it was very fun ! I was in the boat parade that day, it was my birthday and we were on the Capt Mike boat ... my dive group chartered the boat for the sunset sail and we ended up in the parade... I have great Bonaire birthdays !

PS. that trip was the first time I saw t-shirt diver Sue waltzing through the Divi one morning on her way to a boat dive in that amazing dive skin !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T-Shirt Divers John and Sue (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #436) on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly,
Are you sure you can't come and dive with us and party with us during the Regatta?? It looks like we are going to have a nice group this year. It's not too late!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4725) on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 10:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I sure wish I could ! Alas, we are unable to travel with Riley just yet and I don't want to leave him again... boo hoo.... but soon I hope we will be traveling as a family and exposing Riley to all sorts of fun stuff !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2205) on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is the link of the events of the Regatta.

http://www.bonaireregatta.org/

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration