BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Natural insect repellant
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-07-31: Natural insect repellant
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marji Keith (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm wondering what I can buy on island in the way of something not too toxic for mosquitos. I'm pregnant and would like to avoid harsh chemicals. Also my 2 year old gets bit up pretty badly. My husband and 4 year old don't even need repellant. I'm trying to figure out what to bring or if there are natural products available there. Is there a health food store or somewhere that specializes in natural products?
thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #260) on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bite Blocker is totally natural, flower and plant extracts and is non-toxic. It can be ordered over the web site. It worked very well and I used it on both my children. It had an odd smell when I wore it but on everyone else it smelled great, it must have mixed differently with my body chemistry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By anne hainsworth (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try Smartshield. It's also marine-friendly and DEET free! I got it on someone's recommendation here on BT, and so far, so good. www.smartshield.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kaniela Makanihaku (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, July 8, 2006 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Take a fabric softener sheet and rub it on your exposed skin then stick it through a belt-loop.

Spray a light mist of lemon juice in a circle around you covering an area about 15 feet in diameter. Should work up to two hours. Since mosquitos typically come out around dusk and dawn, one round of spraying will typically work. A light spray on you works well and if done right is not sticky.

Peppermint or other mint will also deter them (it masks the odor of CO2 that the mosquitos seek).

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration