BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Does Bonaire really Need a Golf course?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-07-31: Does Bonaire really Need a Golf course?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #308) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Green Village Golf resort is the latest project being proposed which is a 9 hole course opposite Buddy Dive together with houses on the course. For the life of me I don't know how they can pull this off with the cost of water being so expensive! I really have no problem with the golf course although I certainly do with the potential ensuing environmental impact on the reef which it certainly might have...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #436) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

YES !!! That you are concerned for an eventuel impact on the reef is one thing, but the way you put that question is rather offending for us living here. Perhaps you don' t believe it, but even on Bonaire there are people who know and love to play golf.
If you make a keyword search you will find more discussions about golf on Bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #614) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

With the very high cost of water on Bon, I'm sure the price tag for a round will be out of sight. Like $3.50 a swing!

How mush does it cost to flush a toilet on Bonaire?

What other stupid ideas can we come up with?
Water park?
Ski tow?
Hockey Rink?
Snowmobile trails?

To the investors of the golf course: Are you nuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T-Shirt Divers John and Sue (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #380) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eventhough we are golfers, please save the reef!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #437) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry have you ever heard of grey water ????? As there are quite a number of hotels along the strip by Buddies, it can't be difficult at all... ever heard of desert golf courses ??? No ?? Ever heard of envirement friedly golf courses??? No ??? Ever heard of gras and trees with little need for water ???? Just search the internet and you will be surprised !
Just to clearify, I have nothing to do with that golf course, I had even not heard of it before it came up here. It is just not a question if Bonaire needs one, but how it is done. If p.ex. the owner of Buddys is involved, he is a diver and a golfer, and I am sure he would look into these numbers of envirement friendly possibilities.
Jerry, ever been to Curacao or Aruba ? Both have several golf courses .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4082) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte, that's what I was picturing, a desert golf course. And I don't even play golf. lol. I'll be interested to see how this all pans out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Wallace (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #163) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 4:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Briggite, I've seen desert golf courses. Isn't there a small course somewhere on Bonaire? I think its the type where you drive the ball to a sandy fairway and then use a astroturf mat (like at driving ranges) place your ball, and then hitting to a green. If it were to be a lush green fairway with palm trees that would be great. I'm just a visitor and have concerns about the chemicals and fertilizers and such but, it's not my island. It would be nice to have a well managed course there that uses its resources to put something back into the Bonairean community as well as making a profit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #438) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 4:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The golf course Piedra So (Stones only - at Washikimba) has very special roules ... I have not been there for several months, so I do not know the rules at the moment. It is a long and bumpy dirt road , no trees not even cactus so close to the rough east coast, the white stones make it even hotter out there than it is on Bonaire .... I just don't like it there....
Personally I think the way this new golf course (if this project will ever be reality) will be constructed and maintained should be subject to control(as said before, there are lots of friendly possibilites), but to start this threat with " does Bonaire needs a golf cours" made my hair standing upright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #309) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte... RELAX... (You know you can't play golf well if you're tense). I asked a rhetorical question in my initial posting. No offense of anyone was explicitly or implicitly stated nor implied.

Between you & me I've played golf on & off for 30 years & have played on some very fine courses to boot. However (this is where I differ with so many golfers), if I never play another round wouldn't affect me in the least. I much prefer to be on, about or in the water. If you love golf more, that's fine with me.

Bonaire has a natural valuable asset which is the reefs & clear oceans which surround it. Golf courses can be found anywhere in the world. Not so what Bonaire has. Bonaire's real treasure is the surrounding ocean.

As far as the courses in the desert, I've played many rounds in Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage Ca... However they get their water from underground. Bonaire has no such
underground water (to my knowledge).
Additionally you comment on the grey water from the septics which is loaded with nitrogen. If this seeps back into the ocean, not good.

Again for the record, I am not against a golf course if it is properly maintained as to limit runoff & damage to the surrounding reefs. That should be the priority, because if Bonaire loses the reefs, (as far as I'm concerned) they've lost just about everything. In the absence of good diving all the golf courses in the world will not help Bonaire. In making this statement I do realize that other tourists visit the island that do not dive.
Just my personal opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #439) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, you have a strange way of writing - are you a teacher ? ..... and you are not great in reading what other people write ..... Why do you think that Palm Springs is the only kind of desert course (for me it is not a desert course at all ! there are a few in Arizona as far as I know, otherwise in Spain, or South of France which could be an example for Bonaire) ... and why do you think that grey water is autmatically bad ... and that there are no people living on Bonaire who would like a golf course .... and there is no youth who would like to try something that they see normally only on TV ? And why should there be automatically a bad effect on the reef ? The web sites for envirement techniques of today are plenty, just search for them....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5599) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have seen the runoff from the huge golf course on the north end of Aruba after a heavy, heavy rainfall...it is not a pretty sight at Arashi Beach when this happens. Brown water and it was closed for a couple of days years ago when we were there. I don't know if it was "environmentally friendly" as far as the fertilizer and the rest goes, but I do know the earth/dirt, itself, eroded (similar to what happened in Sabadeco during the deluges a while back) and it was a mess.

It eventually settled down but I don't think the reef liked it a bit.

How is the golf course in Aruba doing these days? I REcall one "Million Dollar" tournament right in the beginning of its early days with the hopes of several annual tournaments but I never saw anything after that one tournie.

I guess a lot of us just get upset at any thought of "change" on Bonaire but we do have to remember it is not "our" island, as Bridgette has pointed out (as have others.)

I would be very surprised if it were to be built at all. If it is, at least it is not a full 18 hole course and I would "hope" it is well planned, regulated and monitored so as to protect the reef, etc. This should apply to any homes build on it or around it, as well.

Just MHO. Ciao. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #310) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte..Don't know exactly where you're coming from with your postings, but it appears to me you're really reading things "between the lines" (or should I say projecting) which I never stated. If you read my profile you'd now that I'm not a teacher. Hope you get the golf course which you are apparently so protective of & enjoy many happy hours on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There may some underground sources of water in Bonaire. In March we were looking at houses, and one or two of them had a "sweetwater spring" with a pump. The realtor said it could be used to fill the pool or for watering, but it was a bit brackish.

Does Bonaire need a golf course? No, not in my opinion. There's no hope for a green grassy lawn, so we wouldn't have to worry about run-off too much. (Hopefully they would not even try to grow grass and if they did - good luck keeping the goats and donkeys away!).

As for a desert golf course - I would never go (even if I did golf)... it would be way too hot and sunny and I'd burn up in like a second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #852) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 9:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

jerry, if you had ever seen me golf you'd know that my cost per stroke would be way, way down. those people who shoot in the 70's and 80's are just wasting money. they are paying about $.75/stroke. i can get my cost per stroke down to about $.35 by playing my usual game.

i would worry about the environmental impact. but it would be an opportunity to the kids to experience something they have only seen on tv. as far as the tourists golfing, they might play one round or so if the place had clubs for rent. i can't picture going on vacation and taking dive gear and golf clubs at the same time.

besides, i like the idea of a stress-free vacation. and sometimes my game is not stress free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2795) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte, there are many golf courses around the world. There is only one Bonaire. You knew it had no golf course when you moved there. As you say, there are other islands with golf courses and they are not far away. If golf is very important to you, you could have settled someplace that provided it. You could also go for a weekend outing to a nearby golf course.

Insofar as environmentally friendly golf courses, first, I believe that very few things are built on the island in an environmentally friendly way; second, how about an environmentally friendly sewage treatment plant instead? Not as sexy as a golf course, but a lot more practical and necessary.

Lastly, this golf course is all about attracting tourists, and bringing up the youth of Bonaire as a reason to build a golf course is an attempt to seize the high moral ground on the issue by claiming it's "for the children". Better to destroy all the television sets on the island first, and start a program of adults reading to children.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #440) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seb, it is not about me and if I like that golf course (till I read it on BT I had never heard of it), but it is about the way that some of BT try to tell people born here or living here for many many years what is good for them and what they have to do. But the moment somebody from here makes a comment about the US these same people get agressive like ..... look of some other threats from the last weeks....
The sewage plant is all on paper, the big question is, who is paying these big millions of $$ .... it would come to something like Nafl 5000 for the little houses and much more for the bigger houses and even more for the house along the coast ! Just look at the threat about the $75 pwpp tax .... not those BTers would pay .... and if I think about what we paid on hotel taxes etc when we stayed in Flordia, these $75 pppw is nothing ! And if I compare the big rich Florida with our relatively poor little Bonaire , how much more is done here for the environment !!!!
Vince, my teacher comment related to you telling us what has to be done and that in a rather unpleasant way...... and as you like to know, I am born in Berlin - Germany, lived many years in France, than in Belgium and than in Holland, where I got a Dutch passport, and I live for 18 years on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #369) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 12:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte,
I don't know if you will be happy with this, but I am with you, you are totally right. Us-people constantly telling us how to behave, and when you give them some of their own cookies, they get aggressive like hell, and very, upsetting, personal. US-people know how to rule the world, and they cannot even keep their own garden clean.
Remember this is NOT personal and also a generalisation, of course.
Every country gets the president they deserve, you know. Just take a look......

But we are just screaming in the desert........
(that is a dutch one, and I don't know if my translation is correct.)

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5605) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is becoming very ugly now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick T. (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1078) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Harrie, I knew you would come out of the wood work on this one. Why do you always have to be so negative. I don't see anyone telling anyone nothing, except for you. All anyone is worried about is the reef and the impact this has on it. Which you also should worry about. I know I am!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #441) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 2:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I tried as good as possible from the beginning on to show that there are different ways of thinking and different ways of doing something - and I tried to ask for some respect for people living on Bonaire. I even tried to say something in a little comic way, when I ask Vince if he is a teacher .... as I see it, only few of the replys tried to deal with my answers, but they lectured me like I was the one builing the golf course tomorrow .... and some of them clearly showed that they even have no idea what they are talking about (try to look it up what a desert golf course means ... not a golf course in the desert please !) .... as usual Harries comment was much more direct , I would guess because of some comments in other threats .....
Sorry Patrick, but I think Harrie might not be diplomatic, but the negative parts are coming from some other writers... starting with the title of this threat, which pushed me to write ...
Is it really so difficult to try to understand and respect other people, other cultures, other ways of thinking ???? Life is not black and white, not bad and good, not friend or enemy .... life is grey in different shades...
What you (in the US, or even Europe) all take for granted (the big super markets, the big cars, the 3 garage house .... the golf courses, the absence of environment protection, the masses of traffic with enourmous consume of oil, the constantly running of very cold aircos)are not or barely existing on Bonaire. Why do you expect that people on Bonaire want to stay behing in everything ? The way it is written in some of the replys, it looks to me like: Let Bonaire be 3rd world, because we want it that way for our vacation - we dont need to protect our sea and wild life, but they have to do it all to perfection ..... and than some come to live here because it is soooo peaceful here, but 3 months later they do nothing than complaining because it is not as perfect as at home and they start to tell the Bonaireans (born here or not) what they have to change .... a little more respect even towards such a little island and small number of population could go a long way.
I personally would think a not to fast progress is what Bonaire needs and the Bonaireans deserve ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick T. (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1079) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 3:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Briqitte i agree with you, but i don't think of Bonaire as being 3rd world. More as a very special place and to be protected because of the reefs surrounding the island and the culture of the Bonaireans. Thats my humble thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4091) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 3:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Patrick, I agree... I think Bonaire is our haven and respite from the real world and that it needs to be preserved in pristine condition. However, Bonaire IS their real world. It is only natural for them to want a bit of progress, and more say in that progress than the folks who merely vacation there. But, please, NOT a Super WalMart?? Ever?? lol!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3377) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 3:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeez, I truly believe everyone is just a bit too touchy around this board lately. Relax everyone. The Bonaire Reporter this week did have a clip on the new golf course in question and it is my guess is what started this whole thing. BTW, I do not think Bonaire is a 3rd world country either. Let's all play nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2801) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 4:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte, I happen to think Bonaire is a very special little island in the sun, and yes, I feel it is my right to voice my opinion against so called progress. Just as you and Harrie and other resident aliens feel you have the right to complain about Americans. Please both of you notice, no one here is stopping you from doing that. But you should stop being surprised that when you attack folks, they get defensive, and may strike back.

I don't think you could build an eco friendly golf course on Bonaire that would bring a diver/ golfer couple back twice. I think it would be silly. I hear there are nice islands out there that cater to golfers where you can dive too. You yourself say there are courses on Aruba and Curacao. If you really cared about golf, you'd know all about them.

This is not about golf. It's about prejudice. The topic is golf, Please stay on topic. Feel free to start your own thread about cultural stereotypes or xenophobia in CC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #147) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 5:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since Bonaire already has a golf course, could adding another one really be called progress? Why not just improve upon the old one? It's such a small island for 2 golf courses.

There are better uses for land in Bonaire, in my opinion. I would rather see an aquarium, which would be educational for the children & popular with tourists. Or at least represent a sport that doesn't already exist on the island, like a rollerskating rink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #626) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is getting out of hand, step back, breath, good, now let's slow down a bit.

1. If you live on Bonaire you should have a say in this project. For us living elsewhere, we can only voice our thoughts.

2. Voicing our opinions on BT is just that, voicing our opinions. Nothing we say means a dam thing anyhow. Ever see any improvements made, or suggestions acted upon buy anything said on BT? Not me! Just look at the old Sunset pile of rubble, how long has that been there? How about the building project down south? Yes boys and girls, it goes back to pre BT. We argued back and forth on that subject years ago, the same thing happened, name calling sprung up and people became offended. I think the chat room was part of infobonaire? Do not fall into that trap, Please!

3. Bonaire is not a third world country, it's just governed like one.

4. We vacationers just see Bonaire evolving in a negative way. Growing to fast for the intra structure to handle. Not to mention the nature that is being displaced, or just paved over.

The above statements are just my opinion, and not the views of BT or it's affiliated stations.

And that's the way it is.

Wine time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MONTY FORBESS (BonaireTalker - Post #60) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 6:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey bridgette, if they build a course, could i make enough money being your caddy to move down there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #18072) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Monty, get in line! ;-)

I had a very lengthy pollyana post completed, and the whole thing timed out on me and I lost it...I hate it when that happens.

Here is a link to the Piedro So Bonaire Golf Course. As Brigitte said, it is definitely an eco course. I just wish it weren't so dang hot on Bonaire or I'd probably like to try it sometime...probably like the days of my youth when I was in college and played in the deserts of Phoenix in the summer...I could take the heat then...not now...lol!

Back on topic (sort of), when we played the Arnold Palmer Course in Oahu last month, they had cool towels for us to wipe our brow and hands with when we got back to the clubhouse. I wonder if Piedra So offers this...maybe on every hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #18075) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the other link to Piedra So Bonairean Golf Club. It's in Dutch though so I have no idea what it says (except that the English links "Shop" and "Tourist" info are "under construction).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4596) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

a golf course would be nice...but it would have to be artificial turf...due to run off and pesticides being introduced into the ocean. More like a miniture golf course...include the kids!...
As with Tennis...I think golf is too hot of a sport(as in temp. to take off on the island.)
I personally would like to see a large telescope on bonaire...would be great viewing on the Kontiki side....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1181) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow - I actually agree with Seb's thoughts. (With BT, anything is possible! :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #151) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 9:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah.... Meryl has a good idea. Mini golf complete with astro turf would be super fun!

The telescope idea is good too... would be a lot more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

But just think... a coral reef inspired mini-golf course... shoot the ball into the gropuer's mouth... a rotating wheel of squid to avoid...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2803) on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was going to suggest miniature golf, but it's too darn hot in the day, and too buggy at night ( I always think of miniature golf as a nighttime game.)

But I LOVE the telescope idea! A whole new group of tourists to go after.

Hey Gail, who'd a thunk it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #283) on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So Harrie, you don't like Americans? It did not say that in your BT profile. I want to make sure I have this correct, because your posting was very strong and directly anti-US. Our government monitors people who make statements like yours.
;-)

C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #307) on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl,
We actually have a very active tennis community here. Just have to pick your time of day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #851) on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl reminded of me of a special "find" on one of our Harley rides last year.

In Southern Colorado we came across Echo Basin Resort. Under construction was a complete artificial turf golf course. This resort is backed by some Country Music Stars and Arnold Palmer's name was mentioned as a golf designer. We watched a couple of kids playing pool and later found out they were Tanya Tucker's.

Here's a link to the golf page.
www.echobasin.com/golf.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

He, Herrie is back !!! Will become "fun" again this one ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WHUDS (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Funny I have lived here for 5 months now while at Medical school.

Honestly Bonaire is a third world country but not in the way some people have written it. I find many vacationer's to be UGLY when it comes to going to a small country like Bonaire, they come here for the beauty and then complain cause it's different than Home. Sorry but the rest of the world does not turn around you and where you live. I have traveled all around the world and no where is perfect. Some places have this and others that. I think a golf course is too much for the island IMO, a small 9 hole could be done with little impact on the environment IMO.

As far as vacationers hey I don't care if you have visited for the past 10 years, until you live here you will never understand this island. You will never go through the joys and the hardships the Islander's and the residents go through. 5 months is not long enough but I'll be here another 14 months maybe I'll have some idea after that.

If I visit your town for a couple of weeks a year for years should I be complaining about what your town doesn't have that I want? I think I would tic people off in that town too.

Bonaire has the best mix of "get away from the modern world feel" and Diving, if you do not want that then go somewhere else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (BonaireTalker - Post #89) on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe does a golf course add something to Bonaire. Why not give this a change. Why not make 2 ?? Some competition is good for business. Windsurfing came and has shown a steady and solid growth and when Kitesurfing came "everybody" did his and her best to ban that. Gladly they survived that all and now, IMHO, it really adds something to Bonaire. Now golf is new, so that's bad now.
As vacation destination it is good and smart to focus on more then only one activity especially on one that is landoriented for a change. If we only stay focussed on watersport activities and the growth of number of Hotelrooms (at least the growth the rumors say) will actually happen you might find line-ups in the near future to enter a divesite :-))
Is that the growth we want ??? I don't think so. Diversity is important !!!

I am very sorry, but, let's face it; "Unlimited shorediving" has grown too, and all that brought were a lot of cars and a few compressors running 24/7. Not very ECO friendly either, is it ?? Did the island grow with this ...... NO !!
A lot of people giving their input here on the future of Bonaire are retired people. They have made their money, came here because they like it and do not want to see to much growth and changes. Very understandable, but not very realistic. If you want Bonaire to stay "alive" you have to open new markets once in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #370) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Menno, Thank you for welcoming me so warmly, but please write my name correctly. Menno, please keep in mind that you are financially dependant from your clients, Dutch as well as American, and that probably influences your ideas about those people. I am not. That makes a difference. BTW: I am not an old retired person, I still have to do work to make my money, and I also understand that Bonaire has to grow and has to change, to survive. But please, not in the direction Aruba did……

WHUDS, Thank you for making this statement, because you really tell things that I agree with. But you do it in a more polite way then I normally, perhaps my English is not good enough for that. Oh boy, these kind of discussions would be a lot easier if I could do it in my original language…

Carl, Thank you for warning me that Big Brother is watching me. I thought we have freedom of speech in modern democratic countries…… Actually, you caused me several sleepless nights for fear, but I got my sleeping-pills now from the Botika, so perhaps I can sleep tonight….

Carl, you really didn’t get the clue at all, please reread my posts carefully, and not with an aggressive pair of glasses on your nose. I never ever stated anywhere that “I don’t like Americans”. Not in my profile, not in my posts.
I will try to explain this for the X’s time.
I like “Americans” just as much as “Europeans”. There are lots of “Americans” that I don’t like, just as there are lots of “Europeans” that I don’t like.
An important thing what I don’t like is the behaviour of many (several?, some?) Americans on Bonaire and on BonaireTalk. Many (several?, some?) of them behave as if the island is owned by them and that the “American way of living” should be brought to Bonaire as soon as possible. I don’t think that is correct. If you visit this beautiful island once-in-a-while, you must behave like a guest, and accept the things that are different from your hometown. (Just as I do when visiting your beautiful country USA, as I do so often. I like your country, I like your people, your way of living, although it is not my way of living, I can enjoy your country to the fullest, same as I enjoy countries in the “real third World”.) But I will not come to your country, and tell the Americans how to reorganise their country. There are lots of things in which your country could be changed, but I keep my mouth shut. (Want examples: Energy-conservation, USA is millions of miles behind Europe, and the main problem of the high energy-prices are caused by the waste of energy in the USA. Who is the inventor of the extreme gasoline-swallowing and unsafe SUV’s?. Who blocked the Kyoto-agreement? And what about eating-culture? Totally different from Europe, but again I don’t say it is better or worse, just different. I like the “European-style” much better. Please don’t push me to give more examples, there are enough.)
The behaviour of: we are spending a lot of money on Bonaire (more than Dutchmen do; we are the big Tippers!), so Bonaire has to do things the way we want it, is what bothers me. First that is not true, most Dutchmen living on Bonaire pay taxes too, in our opinion less then in Europe, but compared to America the taxlevels in the Netherlands are extremely high, so you pay easily less then in Europe, but still more then in USA. And also, Bonaire is a part of the Royal Dutch Kingdom, and a lot of money is floating from the Netherlands to the Antilles. Not from the USA to the Antilles.. A very big fear is that Bonaire is going to be a kind of Aruba, (ever been there?) This would be fatal for this island. Aruba is completely American-dominated. It completely lost its identity.
Another point is specially towards BonaireTalk. Any criticism on BonaireTalk will result in a big slash-down from the other BT’ers towards the criticaster. I am used to tell in clear and honest words what I think is wrong. I try to work on the subjects that can be changed within my possibilities. And I am used to listen to comments on that, and act accordingly. Many people (on BT) try to tell the truth covered in roses and pink satin and with a lick of honey on it, just to make it softer. Or even hide-away the problems. What you reach is that nobody really understands what you mean. Just to compensate that, I do my statements in a rough and clear manner. Hoping we can find the way in the middle together, that’s needed.
This discussion started with the thread of Alex in Trip Reports, “The good, the Bad & the Ugly”. This trip report had a lot of comments on Bonaire in it, good and negative. I tried to explain to Alex that he had his holiday-preparation done with the help of BonaireTalk, as you know dominated by “Americans”. With the ideas he had about Bonaire, he just got the wrong information. He got information about Bonaire through “American glasses”. AND THAT IS DIFFERENT!. (Different, not wrong).
Yet another thing, people on BT always get extremely personal when attacking a criticaster, also when the criticaster wasn’t personal at all, and just tried to make general statements. That is no strong behaviour, just kill the messenger, and problem is solved.

Carl, I hope I have taken away your opinion that I hate Americans. This was a very difficult writing for me, because it had to be done in a not-original language for me, and because I am a technical-guy from top to toe, my language-genes are near to absent.

Finally, I don’t dive, and I don’t play Golf, and I also can enjoy Bonaire. Yes, I (we) do cruising on the boulevard, and enjoy that too.
If a golf-course on Bonaire could be financially secure, and absolutely environmentally-secure, why not?

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By anne hainsworth (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Discourse and debate is always a good thing, for the people who live in Bonaire and have to deal with daily life and realities there, and for divers/tourists who find it very peaceful. This board is good for that. The whole "Big Brother" theme/threat/whatever that was real helpful for representing the US, thanks. Kneejerk reactions invoking the spector of satellite surveillance and saying anyone who has had a negative experience with Americans hates our country is, well, not really the experience of most people I have met (around the world), but when I see statements like that, I can see how people get miffed (and as we all know, these kind of arguments bring out the BEST in everybody). I am in that government-work world, have been all my life, and we sure don't like to throw comments like that out too much-- we save that task for talking heads who are trying to get reelected by keeping everyone afraid and angry. Now stop this U.S. vs the world stuff or I will dispatch small military aircraft! Peace on Bonaire Talk, with love, from a "crunchy" conservative! A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #442) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anne, thanks ! At least one of the US-BTers who saw the ludicrous comment about the watching US government for what it is and commented on it ! I was shocked when I read it ! Where is the right of free speech ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By anne hainsworth (BonaireTalker - Post #55) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If my last post was kind of unreadable, here's another try: not all Americans want to "Americanize" everything (in the commercial way), some are proud to be where they're from but they don't see the need to taunt other people to make a point. I've found that this board is a good place for me to LISTEN and LEARN about life and business on Bonaire, not pick fights about which way is better. Bonaire, like the U.S., is a work in progress, with many wonderful people and always a few annoying ones who manage to get a lot of attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By anne hainsworth (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard a lot of comments like that throughout my life, but many more in the past five, difficult and confusing years since we were attacked. This is not the post to divert into a review of American culture and world views of my country, but I just had to respond, because, simply, I found it to bizarre and unhelpful comment (although he's free to speak his mind if that's what his views are). I have a theory I've developed called my "5 percent rule," feel free to remember it when you meet someone from another culture or political tensions take over. 95 percent of the world just wants to live in peace,work hard, get home at night, have dinner, feed their dog, and pay their honest dues in society. The other 5 percent are crazy and get on TV. I'll leave with that thought so the moderators don't have to reorganize everything and I don't annoy anyone who's really having a bad day and doesn't care about this stuff... I'll be in Bonaire next month, can't wait for the hospitality and beauty, and yes, the slower pace!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #372) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte,
do you think I really had sleepless nights about the governmental watch?
Come on.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #641) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anne, don't forget to take your golf clubs.
Have a nice trip.
If you run across Harrie, give him our love.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #443) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nooooooo !!!!!!!!!! But I can not see any excuse to make these kind of comments in a discussion ! Sounds like these comments "nuke them" ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By anne hainsworth (BonaireTalker - Post #57) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No clubs this trip, unless I need them to chase people away from my truck...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By anne hainsworth (BonaireTalker - Post #58) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Regarding the golf course, I'm inclined to agree with the commenter who said it probably wouldn't be a great investment for the island (not a golf "destination"). The cost-benefit analysis would certainly be interesting to see. I think I'll just golf in Bermuda and dive in Bonaire. I guess I could always get a job retrieving golf balls from the ocean if I decide to quit my desk job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MONTY FORBESS (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Marcus, i think after you guys kick off your shoes, apply the sandals and head for pasa bon pizza, we need to invite all of the folks over for a couple of cases of amstel brites, i think after that, they might find that there is a lot more incommon than they think, oh by the way, the shoes come off june 7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #632) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are elments on this thread and the good, bad and ugly thread that are insuating that anyone who does not actually live on the island does not have a right to an opinion about the island. If someone who doesn't actually live on the island expresses their opinion they are accused of "telling Bonaire how to reorganize itself or telling Bonaire that it should adopt foreign ways." So, it seems to me that the only way to make these elements happy is to get those who don't live on the island to stop posting their opinions of Bonaire on Bonaire Talk.....Too late, here's mine: A golf course on Bonaire is a bad idea in my opinion. Anything that remotely threatens to harm the reef is a financial mistake in that there are several studies that prove a intact reef is much more valuable in terms of income for an island than a reef that is destroyed by over fishing for example; that is to say, the income from the fish is much lower than the income from those that visit the reef. It would have to be one eco sound project to make it worthwhile in my opinion. Of course, I don't live on Bonaire so what do I know anyway. This, however, I do know: 18 days and a wakeup!! Have a nice day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #633) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Testify Monty!! June 3d for us my man. Later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just Jeanine Again (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2629) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One wake up here. We are a dive/golf family and for us Bonaire is the dive trip. We would understand the need for a second golf course if the first one were already doing well but from our limited experience it is not, so why invest when the first one is not doing well? Just our humble-US-Non Bonaire resident opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #313) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well this thread was started by me to be an open & honest discussion/debate about the efficacy of the new proposed golf course. That's all. Nothing else was ever intended. From there it certainly appears to have morphed (or more accurately deteriorated) into one strange thread with accusations (some personal) going back & forth.

So in essence, I'm going back to my own personal views which I stated in the opening. I have nothing against a golf course but am concerned about it's potential environmental impact on the reef. That's all.. No pontificating, no preaching, no name calling etc.

I'm a firm believer in free market entrepreneurialship. Let the public decide if this is a good or bad idea.. People vote with their wallets.. If it's not a sound economic proposition, we'll all know soon enough and a price will be paid for poor judgement.

I for one think that the impetus for this project may somehow be tied to the rumors of a large hotel who may chose to develop on the island in this area. But again, I am not "a local" and don't have a crystal ball nor the advantage of being immersed in the daily goings on of the island..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrison D. Ipock Jr. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 11:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Been coming to Bonaire for 20 years. I have built a golf course now ranked in the top 100 in the US. Be glad to comment on any questions regarding construction, costs, management. I could write a book on all the aspects. I am sure it could be done but WOW what a job. I won't be bringing my clubs with me. I love the game but the first Big question is who would play?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4614) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Linda, great link...looks like "real turf " to me!
Susan, I would imagine tennis time would be either very early morning or late day...but sun and mosquitos are pretty discouraging! I see a few tennis courts but never see anyone on them.
I vote for the telescope.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #583) on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 8:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The 4 courts at Harbor Village are almost full every night from 6pm-on, especially Tuesdays & Fridays (round-robin nights), with local/resident tennis players. No bugs-just nice breezes & lots of beer. There are other outdoor courts also busy in the early hours & evenings. The HV courts are not really noticeable from the street, possibly contributing to the image that tennis is not played much here. Other facilities host indoor and/or outdoor football (soccer), volleyball, bowling, basketball, softball, table tennis (ping-pong), swimming competitions, yoga, gyms, tai kwon do, judo, choirs, bands, etc., for adults and kids, for their individual enjoyment, and for the teams of Bonaire to use to prepare for competitions. But basically, the point of this thread comes down to the 'behind the scenes' things that visitors might not think of. What I've listed above are activities most visitors would not travel to participate in, but are necessary and/or desired by residents. Golf is still one of the top sport reasons to travel (maybe is still #1; I believe most stats also show that golfers spend more locally, per person, than other travelers). It's no secret Bonaire needs income to support the community-the island itself, as well as all of the other support industries, from restaurants to the laundry. It's hard to have an entire economy's infrastructure based on a year-round resident population of only 14,000. Having a responsibly built challenging/unique situation golf course can add that extra 'pro' factor for some tourists, groups and small conventions considering Bonaire as a destination choice, besides being a sport for residents. A sport like golf may be the added boost we need to keep the airplane seats full year-round, encouraging airlines to keep flying here, and not drop frequency like Air Jamaica has done. Bonaire is constantly stuck in a 'catch-22' situation. We need more hotel rooms to keep flights full to keep airlines flying here. And we need more hotel rooms (or at least the same amount maintained) to give the airlines someplace to put their passengers. Flights here will not increase or become easier if there's no place to put the people; if golf helps keep demand for seats & rooms up, it's good for the overall economy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4676) on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, very nicely put and it is a catch 22. IMHO I do not believe that a golf course is the solution in either the short or long term. I do not see how the ecology of Bonaire could ever support it being a golf destination (you don't have enough water). Now you could have one or two courses but that would not be enough to attract many golfers. They really need a few courses to be happy on a week long vacation.

And all of the above takes years and years to develop and lots of money.

I am reminded of a time a few years back right after we started a Boy Scout Troop. Our membership was static with no new scouts. My friend was concerned and I told him, do what you are suppose to do, stick with the program, have the meetings, go camping and they will come. They did and the troop was and is very successful.

That's my humble suggestion for Bonaire, stick to the program. Protect your reefs, be a safe/secure destination and encourage sustainable development. They will come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By zamira (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, June 4, 2006 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey peoples i just want to say something: Bonaire needs a golf course!! And if it's possible Bonaire doesn't need only need a GOLF COURSE.. Bonaire needs a SWIMMING POOL with 8 lanes and 50m long too like Curacao. A golf course and a swimming pool on Bonaire it's a good thing because there's alot of peoples (Kids, Teens and Adults)that like to swim. There's a group of swimming on Bonaire. We really need a big pool to train in it.. And if there's a Competition that Competition could be on Bonaire. A Competition could mean alot to Bonaire 1 because it brings more peoples to Bonaire and more money and tourism. So my point is if we make a SWIMMING POOL on Bonaire our Kids, Teens and Adults would be happy ANd Bonaire could be happy too because more peoples are coming when there's a Competition on Bonaire and more money. So Bonaire needs to have A SWIMMING POOL !!. Just think about it.

Now we go to the discussion of a new Golf course on Bonaire.
Bonaire needs another Golf Course because it's going to bring more tourist to Bonaire and more money for Bonaire. I know some peoples are saying that why does Bonaire need another Golf course if the other isn't going that good ?
The other Golf course "Piedra So" doesn't have grass. But this project wants to make A Golf Course with grass. A golf course needs to have grass !! otherwise it doesn't look like one!! A golf course means more tourists on Bonaire that's what we want right?? more toursit right ??
LEt's give it a chance peoples please just think about it before your gonna say something. Oh and 1 more thing I like Golf !! I didn't play it yet but i like it i want to try it. And we all want to try something new Right Peoples ?? Just THINK ABOUT IT PLEASE DO IT DON'T THINK ABOUT THE NATURE OF BONAIRE. Bonaire has alot of nature. Just make something like a GOLF COURSE or a SWIMMING POOL. Just make one of them and then Bonaire wouldn't be so boring anymore. Bonaire is not so Boring but they have to make things to do here..!!!! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!! JUST THINGK ABOUT IT FIRST AND THEN SAY WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY !!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Enrique (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, June 4, 2006 - 1:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey peoples i just want to say something: I know the water is expensive here on Bonaire but read this. I want one of those 2 to come true. Bonaire needs a golf course!! And if it's possible Bonaire doesn't need only need a GOLF COURSE.. Bonaire needs a SWIMMING POOL with 8 lanes and 50m long too like Curacao. A golf course and a swimming pool on Bonaire it's a good thing because there's alot of peoples (Kids, Teens and Adults)that like to swim. There's a group of swimming on Bonaire. We really need a big pool to train in it.. And if there's a Competition that Competition could be on Bonaire. A Competition could mean alot to Bonaire 1 because it brings more peoples to Bonaire and more money and tourism. So my point is if we make a SWIMMING POOL on Bonaire our Kids, Teens and Adults would be happy ANd Bonaire could be happy too because more peoples are coming when there's a Competition on Bonaire and more money. So Bonaire needs to have A SWIMMING POOL !!. Just think about it.

Bonaire needs another Golf Course because it's going to bring more tourist to Bonaire and more money for Bonaire. I know some peoples are saying that why does Bonaire need another Golf course if the other isn't going that good ?
The other Golf course "Piedra So" doesn't have grass. But this project wants to make A Golf Course with grass. A golf course needs to have grass !! otherwise it doesn't look like one!! A golf course means more tourists on Bonaire that's what we want right?? more toursit right ??
LEt's give it a chance peoples please just think about it before your gonna say something. Oh and 1 more thing I like Golf !! I didn't play it yet but i like it i want to try it. And we all want to try something new Right Peoples ?? Just THINK ABOUT IT PLEASE DO IT DON'T THINK ABOUT THE NATURE OF BONAIRE. Bonaire has alot of nature. Just make something like a GOLF COURSE or a SWIMMING POOL. Just make one of them and then Bonaire wouldn't be so boring anymore. Bonaire is not so Boring but they have to make things to do here..!!!! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!! JUST THINGK ABOUT IT FIRST AND THEN SAY WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY !!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Enrique (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, June 4, 2006 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey peoples i just want to say something: I know the water is expensive here on Bonaire but read this. I want one of those 2 to come true. Bonaire needs a golf course!! And if it's possible Bonaire doesn't need only need a GOLF COURSE.. Bonaire needs a SWIMMING POOL with 8 lanes and 50m long too like Curacao. A golf course and a swimming pool on Bonaire it's a good thing because there's allot of peoples (Kids, Teens and Adults)that like to swim. There's a group of swimming on Bonaire. We really need a big pool to train in it.. And if there's a Competition that Competition could be on Bonaire. A Competition could mean allot to Bonaire 1 because it brings more peoples to Bonaire and more money and tourism. So my point is if we make a SWIMMING POOL on Bonaire our Kids, Teens and Adults would be happy ANd Bonaire could be happy too because more peoples are coming when there's a Competition on Bonaire and more money. So Bonaire needs to have A SWIMMING POOL !!. Just think about it.

The other Golf course "Piedra So" doesn't have grass. But this project wants to make A Golf Course with grass. A golf course needs to have grass !! otherwise it doesn't look like one!! A golf course means more tourists on Bonaire that's what we want right?? more tourists right ?? LEt's give it a chance peoples please just think about it before your gonna say something. Oh and 1 more thing I like Golf !! I didn't play it yet but i like it i want to try it. And we all want to try something new Right Peoples ?? Just THINK ABOUT IT PLEASE DO IT DON'T THINK ABOUT THE NATURE OF BONAIRE. Bonaire has allot of nature. Just make something like a GOLF COURSE or a SWIMMING POOL. Just make one of them and then Bonaire wouldn't be so boring anymore. Look Aruba is smaller then Bonaire and Aruba has 2 golf courses why not Bonaire ?? We all know that Aruba has allot of peoples but still why can't Bonaire has 2 or 3 Golf courses or 1 big pool ?? Bonaire is not so Boring but they have to make things to do here..!!!! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!! JUST THINK ABOUT IT FIRST AND THEN SAY WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY !!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marilyn Mc Clain Friedrich (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Sunday, June 4, 2006 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Don't know much about Curacao anymore (lived there for a year 43 years ago!), but I really ache for the changes that have happened in Aruba. Life has changed dramatically there, and not necessarily for the better. I have family and friends who live there and still go every year. I'm spending some time in July in Bonaire to try to recapture some of the peace and beauty Aruba used to have. One thing that is truly wonderful in Aruba is there sports facilities. My friends in Aruba have children who are very active in the swimming program there and the facilities are beautiful. It is critical to develop facilities for the residents of the island (especially the youth) as well as focusing on what brings in an income. I'm in the minority that finds golf boring (I know - I'm a Phillistine), but hey, if it attracts tourist and doesn't hurt the ecology - go for it! Enough said. Feel free to throw darts at me when I arrive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Young (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow...new to the site. My wife and I have visited Bonaire and hope someday if we are lucky enough to move there. I loved the fact that things were NOT open all hours of the day, that cats were sleeping on the beer when we went to the store, the easy laid back attitudes of the wonderful people we met, especially the lack of all the crap we have to deal with here in the US, even in the small town where we live. Bonaire seems to be a very wonderful place and hopefully it's charm and character won't be abandoned and pushed aside in the rush for technology and conveniences. As long as things can be thought out with long term consequences (environmental, economical and cultural in mind) there should be no reason why Bonaire cannot have "it's cake and eat it too!" Now I'm new and don't want to ruffle any feathers but it seems that Bonaire has two natural resources, salt and diving. Bonaire is considered a gem in the world-wide diving community and that is something to be both proud of and protective of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrison D. Ipock Jr. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kurt, I don't think that you have anything to worry about regarding a golf course on Bonaire.I commented earlier having the experience of building one here in the states. Our cost to build,10 million dollars, cost to operated 2.5 million a year. The construction costs was 7 years ago and there was no cost for the property (242 acres). Obviously, the materials and expertise was local and readily available. In order to make profit we need 25,000 rounds a year at 100.00 a round. I do not have any desire to play golf when I come to Bonaire and I have been coming for over twenty years. A golfer knows that the game itself takes between 4 and 5 hours to play. The tropical sun and heat and wind make the game difficult to say the least and not enjoyable for the majority of the golfers that may be older. Those by the way are usually the ones that can afford paying the expensive green fees. The maintenance of the course is a whole different story. ENJoy Bonaire as I have for what it is.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration