BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: I need real time news
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-07-31: I need real time news
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #513) on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a suggestion.

I’m sitting at my desk back home north of Boston looking at the web cams wondering what’s going on in Bonaire today, right now. News, gossip, how’s Cap Don? Did Jokes run out of toilet paper? Spam on sale? Police chief had his tires stolen. Price of gas today?

Why not have someone living on Bonaire do a daily news up-date?
Allow people on vacation to contribute daily on what’s going on in real time. Frog fish schooling. AA was on time. Stuff like that.

What do you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3975) on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think that's the best idea I've ever heard ! I vote for Ann Phelan. She's very newsy ... Michael Gaynor would be great, too. Nice how I volunteer everyone like they have nothing to do???
If no one is available or interested, I will volunteer... ;)

Gotta get there first I guess....

Any island takers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #515) on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, you've uncovered our secret--making this place seem slow & relaxed (aka "paradise") means that most of us who live here work all the time (we watch BT to see how you-all gossip about us!). Kinda like how those olympians make ice skating & curling look easy. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2189) on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I can say gas is 1,93 per liter, the winds WERE howling but came back a lot, we need a bit of rain and the ribs at Bobbijan's last night were still amazing as always..haa...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2190) on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 8:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, having lived in an island before when I was MUCH younger I learned not to subscribe or participate in gossip..my mantra to my kids when I was a guidance counselor was "do not believe ANYTHING unless you see it or hear it for yourself"..haa..providing newsy info is what BT is all about and why me love it..ya??

Spam?? What's that...haa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3980) on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe a compilation of folks on island??? That is a GREAT start, Ann... hee hee.... more more more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #514) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I said "gossip", it was meant to be about Bonaire, not people. The gossip colum should be on the fun side. Like, talk around town is installing a stop light down town. Not Bob James is sleeping with the goats. Is he?

A question was asked, "What is SPAM?"
It is a caned meat, you don't want to know anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3984) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No one REALLY knows what SPAM is anyway, and that's just fine by me. hee hee....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Becky Hauser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #379) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry... are you sure it's meat???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #515) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, SPAM has some meat in it, my dog will eat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #516) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know if I want info when I'm on Bonaire I go see Michael Gaynor. Michael is the "GO TO GUY" on Bonaire. He also has some really fine cigars!

So what we need now is to start a recruiting staff.
The staffs duties well be to convenes some people to contribute news stories, weather, even a fun gossip column. Anything else?

How about it Michael?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #517) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Whats going on on Bonaire today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2046) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 4:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Be pattient and we may have an option for real tiem news soon (In papiamentu we call it redu...good old fashioned gossip...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gigi55 (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 9:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

go....michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #485) on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yaaaaasssss up ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #326) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 12:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like someone on Bonaire needs to start a daily blog of what's going on. I'm not sure, however, how exciting this daily update would be - this is not a criticism, it's just my observation that life on Bonaire is easy going, without the daily drama that exists outside of paradise...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #296) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue,
Ah, contrare. If we don't have drama we create it!!!! Where else can one of the main topics of discussion be foraging for food? And "what do you mean the milk didn't come in?????" or "WOW, there's kitty litter at Tropical!!!"

Granted it would not be the drama of world events but it may provide a chuckle and a window into our reality. I look forward to seeing what may be coming, Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2048) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 8:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Susan and I (not everyday, mind you) sit out in front of Chat n Browse, like two cigar store indians and watch the passing scene. We have solved pretty much everyones problems and the world seems a much better place due to our insightful observations. By the way Susan, they still don't have the smoked salmon at warehouse but I did hear TIS has frozen lobster tails...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #516) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm watching VH1 now & checking up on all of you. Then I'm going to paint a sample patch on my living room wall (I have to do this while Jan is out, because I'm thinking of a deep orange color for the wall that frames the seaview--pls don't tell him). Then I'll have some lunch (cereal, because there was fresh milk last week), and, maybe go to the office. Or maybe I'll have a snorkel in my "backyard" then take a nap instead. I'll feed & groom my 2 dogs & 4 cats. I'll watch Seinfeld, My Name is Earl, and ER tonight. How's that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #520) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Ruth,
Close, but no cigar!
I'm happy to here your days events, but between you and me, and a few thousand other people, it's not news. We all know how you lucky people spend your day.

We are looking for "Braking News", "This just in to the news room", like, AA will expand flights to Bonaire. That type of info. Not Jack B's cat has a fur ball! Or I got up, went to the fridge, got something to eat, then I had a nap.

But, thanks for shearing your day with us Ruth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2199) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry,

Since I live next to the runway I could send flight information..what's late and what's not..haaa

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #521) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,

Do you miss the 747's?
How about a daily weather report? W/ water temp.
I think I saw your post on a weather site some time back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2200) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, Maggie and I love the plane traffic. Mom was in town last week and was so excited by the KLM. One night we watched the 12:30 AM flight come in..we went to the beach and sat under the flight path (ya, I get kicks out of this)..as the plane passed, you could see the fuel/exhaust really clearly in the night and then we heard this boom and lightning sound over our heads (the plane was past us by this time)..it was VERY weird..Maggie and I ducked..haa..my boyfriend said its the turbo or something..who knows..haaaaaaaaa

At night the KLM is very loud..my bed shakes and the windows rattle..man...never lived there for the big ones tho...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17879) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann..."boyfriend"??? do tell dalink:-)

Ruth, I don't care what Jerry says, I enjoyed hearing how you were going to spend the day. I'd love to know how the paint works out, how the snorkel is (I vote for the snorkel over work), and since we watch Earl, we can talk about it tomorrow here...same time, same place.

Michael, thanks for the visual of you and Susan on the porch of CNB smoking cigars solving the worlds problems...hey, I can do a pretty good cigar store Indian imitation, can I sit next time too? I can learn from the "masters:-)"

OK, back to work for me...I thought I'd just pop in as this thread made me smile, and after today, I really need a glass of wogga and a bottle of aspirin to cure my headache but it's too early (plus I don't think the boss would like it).

Oh, and someone please call Tropical Flamingo to stock up on kitty litter. Next time I'm on island I plan on buying it ALL and take to the shelter. So if you have a cat, better stock up now folks.

Chow chow:-)

PS - Ann, a play by on the arrivals and departures at Flamingo Airport would be nice. Take pics of the folks departing and arriving and post them on BT and we can play a cool game "I spy"...heh heh

(Message edited by cyndelee on April 27, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2201) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, if it ain't u it's Kelly..my lips are sealedddddddddd...

The most fun is when the wind shifts and the planes fly in the other direction...I get all confused..haaa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rona of Black Durgon Inn & Scuba Center (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LAUGHING...with such visuals. Can't help but join in...

Funny, Sue, how real it is that no "fresh" milk on the shelves this morning IS truly big news (and tomorrow if it doesn't show up).

Some other news...currently 90 degrees and I think the yellow sliced cheese at the Warehouse today, while labeled cheddar, was really American.

Oh, and a large pod of dolphins went by the Inn this morning around 9-ish doing spins and flips, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mare (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1371) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 3:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Real Time News?

Renting a house on the water and having your neighbors 'up the block' view dolphins passing by, grabbing their cell phones, and telling you to get to the water to see the dolphins!

mare

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #136) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 4:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is so fun! I can imagine all of these things going on in my head! I love it! And Ruth, thank you for sharing, it made me smile. Ann, I too am fascinated by planes! I lived in New York for many years and would watch the planes land at Laguardia and always wonder if one of them was going to land too early and wind up in the bay (they have)!One year I spent 4 weeks on Bonaire and after the second week I had all the arrivals and departures in my head. I wouldn't miss one! And that's when KLM flew 747's and ALM was still flying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 5:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

American cheese is a form of cheddar - it's just really mild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5551) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm hooked on this thread....going thru news/gossip withdrawal....any more news to report out there from Bonaire? If it's fit to print we will run with it! Let our imaginations run wild, just like everyone has mentioned.

Please, please, please!! Carole

PS I guess it's OK to sit in front of Michael's place with a Lovers ice cream in one hand, too, or perhaps the laptop keys whizzing away on the table in front of the store window....I can handle that....that's truly hard work and someone has to do it! cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #297) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

News flash!
Power is out at Playa Lechi. We still have power in Hato. Will find out more later I am sure...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7293) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I really think this thread is great but it is missing one thing.. BONAIRE TALK NEWS FLASH{Sorry I know gifs belong in CC but I couldn't resist} MY BAD!!

(Message edited by scubahb on April 27, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #298) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Power will be out for a couple of hours... no explanation....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17881) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rona...how DARE they try to pass "American" (aka processed) cheese off as "real" cheddar! I'd go ask for my money back:-)

Susan...time to count the WEB trucks go by ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #137) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was wondering, on Friday, April 14th, when we were leaving Washington Park, a slew and I mean many! police cars and ambulance went racing towards the entrance. I think we were the last ones out of the park, any news on what was going on? Could it have had something to do with the drug bust??? I didn't know Bonaire had that many police cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #517) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know Jerry-I was pulling your leg, just letting you know how a "normal" day goes by for the "working class" of Bonaire...

Grasshopper, migraine trumped work & snorkel-blah! (besides, it was pretty cloudy/grey today for a snorkel-makes the water too cold). Took meds & a nap. I can always snorkel tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day... Or not. Whatever.

;-)
ps-orange/terra-cotta color paint looks way cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17882) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth...:-( on the migraine.

Paint colors...that's a whole other topic in itself! I went through 5 cans of "green" before I finally found the right one for our office. "Monet's garden." Has Jerry seen the color yet? or are you just going to paint the whole room and then see if he notices ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Professor Tribs (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2500) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 8:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is so cool! I'm not going to be able to participate much due to my locale, but I am sure going to enjoy lurking on this one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rona of Black Durgon Inn & Scuba Center (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grasshopper, I went for the cheddar block and they were out. So I was excited to find "cheddar" in another section, even in slices, I figured it would work for cheese crisps... just not the same with American.

Did you know that American cheese is its own "product" or rather a pasteurized process cheese food that is made from small amounts of cheddar or colby or cheese curd or a combo of them - then added with lots of other stuff it is poured into molds and allowed to be labeled American "cheese". YUM, please pass the edible plastic :-)

I will be looking for some Cheddar tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17887) on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 10:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rona, we have our own "cheese product" lol! I agree, American cheese on cheese crisps...ick:-) I don't even like it on a grilled cheese, although my stepson LOVES American (still trying to figure out where he got that from) heh heh:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #299) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Normally here it's just 7 kinds of Gouda. If I see Massdamer (sp) I buy at least 2 blocks.

Rona,
Guess that American cheese will outlive us all.

BTW, power came back on 15 minutes after they said it would. Very well done!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3207) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rona, next time Smack and I are on Bonaire, we will have to swing by and let you taste some REAL cheddar - Cabot "Extra Sharp" or "Hunter's Seriously Sharp"., Any other cheddar ..... well, you might as well eat the box it is shipped in;-{)}

http://www.cabotcheese.com/pages/products/aged.php

Susan and Sue know what I am talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1146) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rona,

Please schedule the dolphins for the second week in July. Same time will work just fine.

Thank you, Gail :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17892) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I called Jan Jerry...lol! Hope the migraine has left the building too:-)

Let's see...will it rain today? Will Cultimara have milk? Will the blocks of cheddar come in? Will the power go out? I can't stand the anticipation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #526) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The term "food shopping" on Bonaire should be changed to "Triathlon for food".

Has anyone ever been able to find all they need at the Cultimara?

When we are there in mid Jan to mid Feb, we have to shop three stores in order to fill our list.

That TFF takes us 2-3 hrs. Because we rent a house with a top notch kitchen, it allows us to cook up some very nice dinners. But it's always an adventure to locate all the needed ingredients.

American cheese is in a class of it's own. It's rubbery, it's got enough preservatives to have a shelf life of 250 years. It's kind of like SPAM, only it bounces better when dropped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7296) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hey what happened to Zeke?? hee hee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2206) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, when I plan a dinner or a party, I shop at oh, 3 or 4 places. Warehouse for cheeses, baked goods and canned pet food. The Island Supplier for olive oil, bagged pet food and liquor, Antillean Wine Company for Guinness and Wine, Bonaire Gift Shop for wine, Tropical Flamingo for canned and bottled goods and turkey bacon as well as pet products, Progresso for beer, Fruiteria for fruit, Portuguesa for fruit and veggies, More For Less for veggies and salad stuff and the butcher..need I say more??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #527) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone want to invest in a new venture I think would take off on Bonaire?

It's a Food Mart that has all the needed staples that people need, in stock, all the time, in one place.

I'll call it ONE STOP SHOP.

Plus, you will never have to by a five gal can of mayo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #519) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can always spot "newbies" to the island if you're food searching. They're the ones with a recipe, looking for ingredients. You need to do the opposite here--see what's available, THEN figure out a recipe.

Grasshopper, migraine gone-thank goodness because they are drilling in front of my house yet again (putting in drain pipes to eliminate the flooding that happens near Voz di Bonaire). They told us it's going to be a 1% grade decline. I'm guessing in front of my house will be the new flood zone. They chose exactly in front of our driveway to install an additional drain, even though there's nothing for about 200' directly north of our house. We were told it's because they install drains every ___ meters. Heaven forbid common sense would prevail and ____ meters minus 2 would be considered.

Amazingly enough, Jan came in as I was mid-way thru the orange paint sample, & didn't flip out. All he asked was, "so how many colors are you painting the living room?" He's figured out how to watch TV on his computer, so as long as he's occupied with that, the orange is going up. It might also have something to do with the fact that when I paint, I listen to my ipod, and don't talk to him.
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #529) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do a TFF and bring home the goodies, spread the stuff out on the floor, stand back, and think, what the he.. can I make with this?

Ruth, drain pipe construction in BIG NEWS, keep up the good work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie Babcock (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3276) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, you crack me up! I know what you mean as now, hubby always sends me to Bonaire three to four days ahead of him so I can stock up our house so it is all there when he arrives and we can start having fun. It is time consuming, but when you are all done, it is so worth it. I never miss Sat. mornings for the chicken pick up either! :-) I usually buy 4 at least as they are so good to eat for lunches in between dives and all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #86) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cheddar* Eaters:

Consales (Cash n Carry) had blocks of mild cheddar today. Also More for Less has Kraft shredded cheddar (also mild).

*(or as close as we get to cheddar here)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #532) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the update Alex.
Must be a slow day on Bonaire?

Anything else going on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17899) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alex, you now know that everyone is rushing out to Consales for cheddar don't you? I see a traffic jam ahead...cheddar lovers untie! lol...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2207) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think Oud Kas is similiar to cheddar...love that stuff..but it's pricey...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #87) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry,
Not at all a slow day--Friday is shopping day. And it's a holiday weekend so it's all that more important to find everything on the list. busy busy busy.

And scoring some cheddar made my day, as it will other's, I'm sure.

Grasshopper,
What was really bad of me was to post this incredibly important information while Consales is closed for lunch. I will no doubt be responsible for the dehydration of the mob waiting outside for them to open. I just hope there's no violence...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #533) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I will be coming down Jan 20, 2007.
Please place your orders early.

h

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #534) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There will be no violence, the Bonaire Police have it under control. Consales is secure.
hk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue Goodman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #327) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 4:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I find I need to go to the grocery store EVERY day when on the island. I don't understand why, as I only go once a week here. It might have something to do with a well stocked freezer (thank you COSTCO) and pantry.

I think we need pictures of the drain installation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4003) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sue, I LOVE going every day... lol... I just wander around and look at stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #88) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Friday is the BIG shopping day, but by no means the ONLY shopping day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #535) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly, we call that being a Cultimara zombie.
You know you have spent to much time there when you start to read the ingredients that are in Dutch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rona of Black Durgon Inn & Scuba Center (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 4:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the CHEDDAR update! Tom, I look forward to your cheese tasting. And Gail, I'll see what I can do about the dolphins.

The town is buzzing today and there are a lot of visitors! The streets are packed (probably out buying up all the cheddar). There is not 1 available rental car.

Hey Cyn, this AM there was FRESH MILK at Cultimara (Dutch brand) but glad to have it!

The drain construction sure made for an interesting trip in to town with all of the people buzzing about.

There is a smaller US Coast Guard ship at the South Pier visiting.

This is a lot of news for this "sleepy" little island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17900) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Only ONE rental car available? Wow...now there's news!

I wonder if the riot at Consales over the fresh cheddar has gotten under control. "Consales blue light special" come get it now.

Rona, how is the Dutch brand fresh milk different than the American brand? Inquiring minds want to know.

My favorite thing is to drag Angela shopping with me and we go down every isle and she translates all the labels for me....I tried quite a few new things that trip!

Just watch out for the things that LOOK like sweet gerkins (sp)...they are NOT sweet, and they are NOT gerkins! Right riblet?

I'm think we need to see drain installation pics. Ruth is probably busy either snorkeling, painting furiously, or taking a nap...ah...island life!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #536) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grasshopper is right, we need a drain installation update with a pic. The tension of not knowing if the job has been completed will keep me awake all night.

Parking must be fun with all the cars out.
Thank God the donkeys are behind the fence!

Ruth, how's the room look? I wanted to paint our bedroom orange, but my wife threatened to kill me in my sleep.

Have a good night all.

And that's the NEWS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #520) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 5:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I woke up half an hour ago! In case you're worried, I faxed my full paint order to Krioyo & Jan picked it up while I was busy inspecting the insides of my eyelids.

I'll take drainage ditch pix tomorrow-morning light will be better.

Island is crazy-busy; not only is it 'end-of-the-month' (therefore payday for working locals-yes, payday is 1x/month), but it's also Rincon Day on the 30th. That's become a very large local/Antillean festival-so there are lots of visitors from Curacao & Aruba too, where they don't have such a day. And for some reason, last week Curacao declared the 29th to be the Queen's Birthday (it was the 30th; wonder if she minds...), hence a holiday, and May 1st is our "labor" day. I think there's a lot going on today (Fri) because no one's quite sure who will be closed tomorrow (29th), since it's a legal holiday (many places will be closed 30th & 1st already). Or they're planning ahead for a possible hangover from a multitude of parties tonight...Big times for Bonaire!

Gotta go, time to call Pasa Bon Pizza for take-out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (BonaireTalker - Post #34) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, my mouth started to water when I saw the pic of Cabot cheese...oh for just a small chunk of white cheddar!!! Can you bring suitcases full when you come??? Anyway, late this afternoon Cultimara had McArthur milk from Miami 2%, whole and CHOCOLATE!!! Only spent 4 hours shopping today...lines were long due to the closures over this holiday weekend but noted that Cultimara will be open 8-12p.m. Sat. & Sun. closed Monday, More For Less closed Sat. and Mon. but open til noon on Sunday. NEED INFO...what's the big foundation being laid out across the street from Barracuda Club and Sand Dollar...looks like a pretty big building...is that Deepak's new venture or something else? Anyone have the "poop"?
Big Balashi Bartender contest tomorrow night in Rincon...Dia di Rincon on Sunday looks to be especially exciting this year...all the locals are really psyched...bands from Aruba and Curacao and just lots of regular good Bonaire fun stuff...I will be working the Animal Shelter booth from noon to 3...stop and say hi, bring me a beer (I'm stocked up for water knowing it will be a long hot afternoon). Can't think of any other important news for today...just a kudo for Patrice at Bistro...had a wonderful candlelight dinner last night..Patrice did an amazing job serving a packed restaurant with no electricity...more news later...good night and good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

P.S. Jerry, what fun would Bonaire be if you only had to go to one store?!?!?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #89) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just a note for those of you planning to visit Jane at the Shelter booth (and you should)--she likes her Brights COLD, just shy of freezing really...

Dia di Rincon is not to be missed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17902) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

2% CHOCOLATE MILK? I just fainted Jane. So the power outage yesterday made it all the way to Bistro...wonder if it went out at Pasa Bon too...come on folks, we just have to know! Does Tropical Flamingo have cat litter in stock?

Ruth, how are those eyelids...lol...on the pics of the driveway...as Carly Simon would sing..."Anticipation...."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17903) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alex, you did have to mention freezing cold brights...let the frenzy begin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Grasshopper,

Power was out at Pasa Bon as well (and they were hosting the Bonaire Reporter Anniversary Party) but they managed well and were of good cheer when I saw them (after power returned!).

TF does have cat litter. So does Warehouse. How long it will last, no one knows....

Sorry about the Bright comment :-). Blame Jane--I used to be much less picky about my beer coldness--it's all her fault!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, Grasshopper, but your fainting spell was for naught....unfortunately we don't yet live in a Bonaire world with 2% CHOCOLATE MILK, my commas were separating the THREE, yes that's right THREE, kinds of McArthur milk we had today...2% milk, whole milk and chocolate milk.
BLAME ME for insisting on ice cold Brights??? Tsk, tsk, tsk....so chastise me because I am an ice cold beer snob?...I spent thirty six years slaving away so I could retire to Bonaire and drink ice cold Bright...is that such a bad thing?:-) Alex, I am proud to have played a small part in fashioning your new taste buds!
Ruth, maybe we can start a "drilling victims support group"....Mr. Smits and his new development in Sabadeco Terrace is driving the entire neighborhood NUTS!! All the way down to Villas, right, Alex? They worked until 7 p.m. tonight...and we wonder why we're so cranky? Ruth, I do hope the drilling will be worth it for you or will you be the new Kaya di Lac when rainy season comes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17904) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jane...whew...wait, all 3 is still worth fainting over:-)

Alex, thanks for the power outage update, and glad all went well despite it all. I probably would not have been happy though, I like my brights like Jane now, freezing cold...you have converted another Jane, I can see the little bits of frozen ice on the outside of the bottle...now it's beginning to sweat...better drink it fast.

(Message edited by cyndelee on April 28, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #91) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Janie, you have improved my taste buds, for sure, but many a beer is now wasted (ok, maybe not wasted but certainly less appreciated) because of it!

And yes, the #!*% drilling is driving me !&%! nuts.

Grasshopper, NO!NO!NO! one never lets the little bits of ice melt--one puts it immediately into a 'beer skin', or in Jane's case a double beer skin. Once it's sweating it's no good anymore and we have to make Jim drink it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, let's put the proper perspective on this ice cold Bright beer thing once and for all...maybe I'm not the snob I thought...Jim just pointed out to me that I am only following instructions...each bottle of Bright prominently and clearly states on the label "Drink It Ice Cold" ...I knew I wasn't a snob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17906) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alex, thanks for the heads up. Now I know where to send all the sweaty beers...to Jim...although my husband might fight him for them...he'll drink 'em warm or cold (maybe not warm, but sweaty yes). Jane, I wonder if it says that on all beer...hmmm...I think I have a mission.

Speaking of beer...can you get Hefeweizen on Bonaire ("Ice cold" of course:-))

I love this new extended edit time:-)

(Message edited by cyndelee on April 28, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #92) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am crushed! All this time I though you were the beer guru and now I find you're nothing but a follower of instructions :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #301) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am amazed to see you still posting after your tough day....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, yes Susan, you know how tough shopping day can be...so with that in mind it is probably time to bai drumi...for real this time, good night and good luck...te manan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5552) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can we be certain the digging project in front of Ruth does not turn into another "tunnel" fiasco?? OMG....I just can't imagine another "tunnel" fiasco on Bonaire just yet. LOL.

Lovin' the thread, guys!!

Annie, what time is the dinner party?? We are all ready to be entertained....we can bring any dish or treat you might neat...we'll toss it into the bags and hope the customs folks don't decide it is a "forbidden"item and can't be brought into Bonaire! LOL.

I like to save our food store receipts each year and compare them to the next trip. Used to do that while on Aruba, too, many years ago. Just like to see the difference in the prices from year to year and to see if I can remember what the item really was as it is listed in Dutch! Ah, yes...mystery food. Love that, too. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5553) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 9:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow! It's going to be one heck of a party time on Bonaire this weekend...for sure! Lots of holidays to celebrate and payday to get it all going. Whew....don't know if I want to be on the island for all of that at one time. LOL.

We definitely need reports on all of the "activities" which will take place over the next four days or so.

Any news on the police presence at the Park?? That does sound interesting. We saw the same scenario with cop cars flying up towards the lighthouse on Aruba many years ago....we had never seen that many cops on the island let alone KNEW they even had that many...anyway, the report was that someone walking up by the lighthouse found some bones buried in a shallow grave (pre Natalie Halloway's disappearance).....all the authorities sped up there only to discover it was the remains/bones of a donkey!! They thought it was a human arm or legbone and headed up that way post-haste. It was "exciting" at the time.

I wonder if the Bonaire incident was the drug bust as mentioned here or maybe a diver in distress? Any reports??? Thanks. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #30) on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 10:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad somebody else complained about the jack hammers. Between the noise and the dirt I don't know which is worse. Anybody know how much more they have to dig? and how long will it take to get the drilling done (it started 5 months ago)?
I always wonder how they could work so late. The construction crew used to work at my house, they stopped at 3:00 to get ready to go home at 4:00 (or at least it seems that way to me).

Other than that, it was another beautiful day on the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2051) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In case anyone missed Annies shopping list for her dinner party..it listed canned cat food! Guests, beware of the pate....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #538) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm told that Annie does not own a cat, is that true?

Michael if you get an invite, I might think twice about it.

American cheese and Kitty Pate, nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #539) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My mistake Annie posted that"One of my 5 cats" in another topic. So if invited, go, but I still would pass on the pate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17907) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just realized something...Jane said the work crew worked until 7PM??? Someone better take a picture of that one. Are they actually TRYING to make a deadline???

With the stores closed today, I hope all stocked up on kitty litter. By Ann's shopping list, she may have a hidden stash in case of an emergency.

Then there is Michael...do you ever close for a holiday????

Hope someone helps Jane out and takes her an ICE COLD BEER today. If so, please report back on activities:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2053) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For me everyday is a holiday on Bonaire!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17908) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2212) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a hidden stash of everything my friend..haaa...but I am not as bad as some...some people wipe out the entire stock when something hard to come by arrives..phooey on them..leave a little for us..

Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #93) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well here is some real news, I think. There seems to be some sort of fire somewhere...we noticed the smoke while up at Ol' Blue. Drove back to Playa the long way & thought maybe it was coming from the landfill, went down the Lagoen Road and then it seemed to be much further south, roughly in the direction of Lac. Anyone know what's up??? Hope it was some sort of planned event...

In less monumental news, tried to snorkel at Ol' Blue and as soon as I stuck my face in the water a box jelly bounced of my mask--took a quick look, saw about 100 more and decided it was a good day to drink ice cold Bright on the beach and just skip the snorkel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #541) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 3:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Alex, have a cold one for me.
I hope the smoke is not from Ann's BBQ? I here she's having a party. Something to do with cat food??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Professor Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2501) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 4:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yikes Alex! That would have given me a heart attack. I think you earned the beer. I hope the fire is nothing serious.

As for the BBQ, I think you will have to fight off Ann's cats. LOL! Enjoy your day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The jack hammer started again off and on since 11:00 this morning. They work on Saturday!!
We escaped the noise by going for a dive. The water was warm and had lots and lots of spot-winged comb jellies. Reef creature book said they don't have stinging nematocysts so we went ahead and dove.
Visibility was good except for the jellies. The weather is great, blue sky with small clouds here and there, another beautiful Bonaire day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
I lied.

They were, as Juni stated, spot-winged comb jellies which don't sting. Please forgive my being woefully misinformed and my potentially scaring folks. Although I have to say there were so many, even if had known they didn't sting, I probably would have stuck to the drink beer instead of snorkel plan! Frankly I do not care for anything bouncing off my mask, it ruins my snorkel 'wah'.

Still no idea what happened with the fire...

And Jane (and I) still want to know what's being built across from Chat n Browse--Michael dear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5554) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Michael...while you and Susan are being cigar store Indians could you keep an eye on the lot across the street for us? Hmmmmm.

Is the donkey still stopping in by the store to say "hi" these days? Hugs....Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #302) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, so I guess I know where I have to go tomorrow in the AM. Dirt to dish and foundations to check out...
Coffee at Michaels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #303) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Alex and Jane,
You could always learn to do as Lisa does and drink your beer on ice.... it's not bad especially if you drink the beer fast... oh but wait, the idea is not to drink it fast, right?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rona of Black Durgon Inn & Scuba Center (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cyn, I'll let you know the difference between the Dutch and American milk another time. It was sour...Cultimara was nice and switched it out. I am NOT complaining - I remember when our drink choice - other than soda or beer - was boxed milk (astronaut milk we called it) or powdered TANG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1147) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 8:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I liked the powdered Tang! And that was state side!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #521) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A fitness center is being built across from Sand Dollar/Chat-n-Browse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim and Jane Madden (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, thanks for the "poop"...we thought that might be the case....is it Michiel (sp?) Verhoef's place...we think he is one of the BEST physiotherapists we have ever encountered...hope it's his place as it will be wonderful! Anybody hear anything more about the fire today?
Yes they really are working jackhammers until 7 p.m. and yes they worked today..not only Saturday but a holiday!!!...escaped to the beach though so it was not too bad but returned home and they were banging away until after 5 p.m.!!!! Yes, Juni the dirt is equally irritating...not bothering to power wash the walls and ceilings until the construction is close to finished...just wait til they start in October with the asphalt...last time they put down asphalt we had a black ring around the pool that took a lot of effort to remove....AH, the downside of paradise...have another ice cold Bright, watch the sunset and FAHGETT ABOUT IT!!!Will be at Dia di Rincon tomorrow (Sunday)..Animal Shelter booth 12 to 5 p.m....come and visit...preferably with cold beer....will definitely post with all the festivities that occur. Jellyfish are not my favorites...I don't care if Paul Humann says they don't bite..diving only, no snorkeling until they're gone!!! Susan, beer over ice...that's like drinking Dom Perignon on the rocks.....PUH..LEEZ!!! How about this stream of consciousness post....are you bored yet....hopefully much more exciting news tomorrow after Dia di Rincon festivities...may have to wait until Monday to post however...it depends on how many people bring me beer tomorrow!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17909) on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rona...I've bought sour milk at Cultimara too...date said it should have been good...but was cottage cheese as I poured:-(

Jane...I think the "drilling victims support group" is in order...along with some "ice cold brights"...hmmm...someone mention brights?

After a day of jelly fish and construction, please ID the hand...he/she lives on island and likes an "ice cold bright" :-)

ice cold bright

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Professor Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2505) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 7:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is it Ann's hand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17912) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nope...but you have guessed correctly in that it is a "she" hand:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Professor Tribs (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2512) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Drats...I guessed based on the view. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (GDLW) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4016) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan Porter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #542) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's Ann.

Who else plays with the wind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17915) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 7:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nope, not Susan P...nor is it Ann:-) keep guessing:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Babs (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10602) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 7:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, I'll venture a guess or two....
Linda Richter is my first guess...followed by Ruth...and then perhaps Ellen????? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #544) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good Morning Boys and Girls,

Today we will be talking about the NEWS.
Some how we turned this topic from NEWS ABOUT BONAIRE into another chit-chat room.

I know it's important to know who is holding the beer, but that can't be the only thing going on, on Bonaire?

How about the construction update?
Ruth, how about a pic of the orange room?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17923) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 1:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jerry, I think the bright pic is island news. Someone who lives on island was drinking a bright at Lac Bay...lol...and Babs get's the gold star...It is Ruth's hand (even though she prefers Polar):-)

Now, for the real, late breaking news that you wanted Jerry...construction pics of the ditch they are digging in front of Ruth's house (I'm posting them for her because she is up to her eyeballs in orange paint).

Ruth, I no wonder you got a migraine...when is this supposed to be done? and if the second pic is of your "driveway" you are supposed to take your car over that little piece of wood?
ditch drain
ditch drain my driveway
ditch looking North
Ditch looking South

(Message edited by cyndelee on May 1, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2218) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 1:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well at least the road will not flood anymore in the rains...will they ultimately fix Kaya Antonio Neuman..geeze..those poor people..it's a flippin swimming pool on that road...

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5563) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow! That's one heck of an impressive trench they are digging! I can just imagine the dusty dirt and grit, let alone the noise...geesh...I hope they finish all of it soon. CArole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #545) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Now that is what I call good news.
Thanks Cyndelee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #546) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

NEWS FLASH.
BT has a new DEITY, Eileen BT Mommy x 2 just hit 10,008. CONGRADS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #525) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for posting for me, Grasshopper. I thought the freckled hand would've given me away sooner. The orange is matching the freckles, making washing up more challenging than usual.

The 2nd ditch pix shows a big square cement-block tank (I'm assuming this will be a drain) that's been built right in front of our driveway-a certain distance from the next drain, that could not be altered one meter north (where there is nothing). This has truly been difficult for us, as our garage is our KFC warehouse (for non-food items). The wooden foot bridges are just for people. It's a private company that's been hired for this job, and I think they're moving pretty fast for here. We were told 90 days...and they start by 7:30am mon-fri. Being 'city folk,' we're used to noise in general, and construction hours being 7am-3pm-ish, for no matter what. They were helpful about filling in a spot in front of our rolling gate, because that's where our big walk-in freezer/cooler for KFC is. They understood it'd be difficult to walk 50lb frozen cases of chicken one at a time over the little wooden bridges, so at least our truck can still drive in. I gave the entire work crew 3 piece combo's & amstels for that.
;-)

More news: Today KFC is 12. But we'll celebrate this anniversary in Dutch style, which is to celebrate it in November, at the 12-1/2 year mark; a "copper" anniversary. Yes, you can actually buy greeting cards here that celebrate 12.5 years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #550) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Happy Anniversary Ruth!
12 tears and you are still open, must be doing something right?
Thanks for the NEWS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #527) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks-I have 12 employees, 3 of which are from day 1, and one from September of 1994. Every once in awhile I think I'm doing something right, but far from always!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17924) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, Happy Anniversary to KFC! Now that you point out where the drain will be..makes me "cringe" to think of the river that will be flowing in front of your house when the rains hit hard:-(

Nice to hear that a little chicken and beer can still get the job done:-) heh heh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17925) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow Ruth, 3 since the beginning...that's great:-) What will you do to celebrate at 12.5 years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4334) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth,

So nice of you to wait with the celebrations until our next visit.

I’m hoping the ground diggers will soon be gone, I haven’t seen much improvement in the last 2 weeks. Hang in there girl and try to improve your average yearly dive-rate… Maybe in November a dive together??

Martin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Babs (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10607) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 1:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Congrats on the anniversary Ruth! Good to see you posting! Best of luck with the ditch diggers! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #531) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 9:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all--we consider ourselves quite lucky with our staff. Not sure what we'll do to celebrate in Nov. Probably a some bands & low price specials (depends on what we can get permits for, etc).

The drain's location directly in front of our driveway is concerning us. I should make them make sandbags for me now, with what they've dug up. A few more combo's & Amstels.......
;-)

ps-Martin-dive in November? That's winter! Brrr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4335) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, I know, isn't it great? Good vis. and lots of good stuff... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #836) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 3:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ruth, congrats on the twelve years. We come form a KFC free zone in our rural area of the UK. I know folks will laugh but one of our first meals on Bonaire is KFC while we sit and write our postcards in the mall. It's a treat for us:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #537) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Julia--a lot of people do the same, or come in with mask marks still on their faces after a night dive, still in their dive skins. Many just wouldn't admit it.
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #301) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There's nothing like all you can eat KFC chicken, fries & biscuit with ice cold beer(s) after a night dive! ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #565) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 4:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, how about a roving KFC van stopping at dive sites?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #539) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good idea--I'm sure the dive sites with the yellow stone markers are much easier to find than homes were when we attempted "home delivery" service for 3 years back in the 90's. My all-time favorite direction was: "You remember xxx who worked for you a year ago? Well, we're a few houses past her grandmother's..." Yes, I'm serious. I was doing the deliveries myself back then--I did find the house, but that was the last straw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #540) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 8:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ps-thanks Jersey boy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #175) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 8:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Congrats Ruth, I remember going back to Bonaire when you first opened and the hottest news was a KFC had opened! A funny story, I am very careful what my children eat and they very rarely eat fast food. We don't have a KFC close by so when we came to Bonaire last month, they saw KFC and wanted it, so I let them have it for lunch but I told them it's a special secret recipe only available in Bonaire so even if we could find one near by it wouldn't be as good or the same because they use a different recipe here! So, they think Bonaire KFC is the only one on the world that serves food that tastes so good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17954) on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 9:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gee, we had KFC for lunch:-) I believe a great deal of of Ruth's business is from the locals...it's a good, and affordable dinner for them. Plus, I give Ruth a lot of credit as she cares for her employees as well:-) It's also the Hoppner boys favorite meal:-) Now I'm hungry, what's for dinner???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17970) on Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Received more construction updates from Ruth. Nice what they are doing to your fence and gate Ruth! Are they going to fix it when they are done???
Ditch digging...oops, sorry about your fence. You just painted that a few months ago eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #571) on Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

STOP THE PRESS!

Ruth's wall has a chip.

We feel your pain Ruth.

A fund to restore poor Ruth's wall has been set up. Please send all donations to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #543) on Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

1. Thanks for the kind comments girls.
2. Fix my fence? Hmmmm, that remains to be seen. Oh, did you mean by the people who damaged it? I just painted it last august. drats.
3. Jerry, you asked for news. This is news. It's Bonaire. And, you're gonna have to get in line re: restoration--you know how many people have volunteered to come down & paint my house (certainly everyone who's seen my guest apt-it's on the west/sea-side)? I think Tom C. is first on the list! Of course, once my Trek-loving husband learns about you-you won't have to paint. He got one of the Lance Armstrong USPS Treks last year. He'll have a list for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #572) on Friday, May 5, 2006 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ruth, how did you find out me being involved with Trek Bicycle Co?
Inform hubby that Andrea (spelling) @ Capriccio's has one of Lance's hats worn in the last tour.
The crown of a God.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #545) on Friday, May 5, 2006 - 8:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Uh, your profile lists your occupation? You'd have to sell Trek to still be in business. An actual Lance hat on the island--see, you had news all along & didn't share! I'd have to weigh the benefit of telling Jan what Andrea has (and enduring their inevitable conversation, questioning, & talking about it), against just how much I want the radiccio & goat cheese salad, pumpkin ravioli & the chocolate cake w/their homemade gelato. Ok, talked myself into it already--thanks for that heads-up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #583) on Saturday, May 6, 2006 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I love to sit at the bar, have a glass or two of wine and let Andrea whip up something in the kitchen, not on the menu, he loves that. But not when they have a full house. He also loves to talk about bikes, wine and food. My top three topics.
When I gave him the hat, I thought he was going to cry. He is a very sensitive guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #588) on Sunday, May 7, 2006 - 12:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, so nothing is going on on Bonaire?
Seems our reporters are slacking off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #551) on Sunday, May 7, 2006 - 1:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nah, we're chasing windmills on other threads, and then we're going snorkeling.
;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #593) on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 11:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

News Flash!

"I just copied this from another post:
Jerry: Thank you for being so worried about my a**. I can tell you, everything is OK with that, working perfect, my metabolism is as good as it can be. Thanks again....."

Thats, good news Harrie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rosanne (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #196) on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 11:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

See, we were worried Harrie wasn't a "regular" guy, but he has proven he is! (heehee)Thanks for the news flash Jerry, I was worried!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #595) on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know how Harrie does it!
h

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Gauron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #596) on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

h

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration