BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Bring my car??
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2001-03-08 to 2002-10-17: Bring my car??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,
Can anyone tell me some prices of new cars, like a pick up, because I wanna know if it's better to bring my car, or buying it at Bonaire.
Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You can buy a car here new for around 16 thousand dollars. Used stuff is all over the lot with some cluners going for as little as 500. Most expats who do bring cars end up sorry since fnding parts and service for non
"caribbean manufacture" cars gets quite expensive, not to mention the shipping (as part of acontainer it is not too bad) and duty if you are not taking your one time exemption.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 - 4:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is a Napa store here, by the way, which may make obtaining parts a little more reasonable, but even that can take a few weeks. Otherwise I'd probably have my old Subaru Outback here on Bonaire :-)

Michael - question for you (and others who have used that term here on BonaireTalk) - what do you believe "expat" means? As a tax-paying U.S. citizen living on Bonaire, I don't consider myself expatriated from the U.S. (i.e. I've not withdrawn my allegiance to the U.S. nor have I been banished or exiled - according to my dictionary). Maybe I'm just misreading the definition, but it's been something that's been bugging Linda and myself...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 8:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, throw away your pocket dictionry or buy a new edition of the American Heritage Dictinary of the American Language. While what you say is true, English is a langauge of usage and EXPAT has simply come to mean "one who has taken up a reisidence in a foreign country" No more,no less. I recall having had this disucussion in the past with other folks who live here who are from other counties as well as many americans living in Curacao who consider themselves expats, but American to the core. Also Expat has become a label with some romanticism attatched to it. Hope that settles any question. As for car parts, even American bought foreign cars seem use different parts than those locally available. Buy the car here, you will be much happier...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I'll just rebel against "common usage" as you put it (which covers one possible definition per the American Heritage dictionary - see http://www.bartleby.com/61/31/E0283100.html), and protest being called or classified an expat if and whenever that comes up (because I see it as being the more extreme definition, per the American Heritage dictionary).

An "exres" (ex-resident) maybe, but not an "expatriate" or "expatriot". I love my dushi Bonaire, but I'm also still an American who is not in exile and who has not given up his allegiance to his native land. (Maybe when they delete that part of the definition from the dictionary I'll change my view.)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the reactions. So it's better to buy my car over there...Ok then, I did ask it, because a friend of my told me that it was better to buy a car at home and take it with my household in the container, he said that that was cheaper, than buying a new car at Bonaire.
By the way, are you guys all ready a long time on Bonaire??
Sis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

4 years for Linda and myself, many times that for Michael.

In terms of the car thing - in order to get it in with no duties or taxes, you have to have owned it for at least 6 months prior to shipment of the car, and then only as part of your one-time allowance to get goods into the island as part of your getting legal resident status.

Otherwise, cars have a 45% duty, and pick-up trucks have a 10.5% duty, plus 5% sales tax.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 3:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another major consideration is the simple difference in vehicles.. Vehicles in places such as the US have a lot more hugh maintenance "stuff" in them for things like pollution, heating and the like. Size in the US is also bigger. All in all I went with a local Toyota.. Important thing here to remember N.A. Toyota is not same as U.S. Toyota. Luckily I have a friend who is an expert in such things and match the two up.. Bottom Line.. simpler is better...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Jake,
I think I can make a good decision now!! Oh sorry another question...What kind of dealers are there: I know Mitsubishi and Daewoo...
Sis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 3:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Toyota, Suzuki, and Kia in addition to Mitsubishi and Daewoo. There used to be Ford, but no longer, I think.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For information, are there differences in automotive
motors, besides emission controls, for the gasoline on
Bonaire? I have been told that outboard motors are
diffierent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From what I have seen, the difference are not due to the gasoline...(which is essentially the same) but just from different (older) and simpler designs for the trucks and cars.. The outboards I have experience with are same as normal production models..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 8:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

to answer your question...15 years on Bonaire and lookiing forward to the next 25 or so. BTW, I also have a Toyota PU and an Ameiican Pontiac Transport. I still prefer the Toyota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 2:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow 15 years....Wish I did it 15 years ago,
too!! ;-)
I hope I'm not asking to much, but does
anybody know what a Mitsubishi L200
costs???
Sis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Baisc pu is 26500 and runs up to 48000 guilders. A us dollar is worth 1.78 guilders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 2:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So a basic pu is 26500 Naf?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, May 17, 2001 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wasn't going to respond before because I wasn't sure if it was okay to post info like this, but you happened to ask for exactly the truck I have for sale--it's a Mitsubishi L200-diesel, 1997, A/C, in good condition, for fls. 9,000. Michael's prices above are accurate for new(er) trucks, and Jake's info is correct about importing them (keep in mind, the import duties are on top of the shipping costs too). I've also heard of restrictions when shipping vehicles in containers too--such as, the vehicle empty/alone is a certain price/part of the container--but if you fill it with your personal items, the cost is higher--be sure to check all details before deciding your course of action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Nesselrodt on Friday, May 18, 2001 - 8:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glen, there are differences in automobile/truck engines. Here, most are still using carburetors. The fuel injectors, in prevalent use in USA and Europe, foul and fail frequently on our low grade fuels. Also most U.S. engines have oxygen sensors or equivalent devices which also fail for the same reason. On Bonaire, the best, as far as automobiles/trucks, is to keep it simple.

As you were told, outboard engines are also different. There are particular models made for areas such as ours where the fuel is very poor in quality compared to the American or European standards. In brief, our fuel has a lot of sulphur and alcohol. The presence of these contamanents makes outboards produced for the American/European Markets corrode and run poorly in a very short time.

Lastly,

To my Expat friend Michael and my Exres friend Jake, I prefer to be called a Resident Alien (God, I love it when they call me an alien!) :-)

Tim W. Nesselrodt
Owner/Property
Ocean View Villas
http://www.oceanviewvillas.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 9:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS, Tim. I thought that John the Outbord Man from
Boston had told me something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Nesselrodt on Saturday, May 19, 2001 - 10:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's John the Outboard Man from Vermont.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, but my computer crashed a couple of days ago, so couldn't respond earlier. :-(
Well, Anonymous nr.2, I hope you still have your carr when I arrive, because I might be interested, but I think I will be arriving in August...and probably you all ready sold it then. But thanks anyway
Sis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I could call Amcar, but since I'm here right now, does anyone know ROUGHLY what it costs to ship (excluding duty...just shipping) a car from Miami to Bonaire? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Same as a container, I think - I recall being quoted about $3,000 - $4,000. You can e-mail AMCAR at aruba-bonaire@amcarfreight.com if you don't want to call them. Most of our contact with AMCAR (we have consolidated shipments via AMCAR once every 6-8 weeks for personal stuff and occasional client orders of equiment) is via e-mail - quite responsive.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 7:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,,Lets say in the future we would like to move to Bonaire (have you heard this one before?) but we want to bring our animals...we have 4 parrots and 5 cats....calling all airlines they have a one animal in the plane at a time rule...(we cannot put parrots in cargo)...do you know of any other shipping ?private charters....or the like? plus is it better to ship stuff...(stereo's..furniture and such or just buy again?)....this is an on going debate with Steve and I and he says there has to be an easier way than the airlines are telling us...but ....I am very skeptical......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, June 21, 2001 - 9:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nope, Meryl, never heard that about someone else wanting to move to Bonaire :-) (all the time, actually!)

The only way I can think of handling the pet transition would be cargo, but with parrots you'd need all sorts of papers to make sure there are no CITES treaty violations inferred. You may have to do it in steps, i.e. get to Miami with the pets, and then take a direct flight from there to Bonaire (happens on Saturdays at present).

As far as buying vs. shipping, had we known more about Bonaire, I think we would have shipped more of our things instead of having sold them at a yard sale or stored them. Pretty much anything electric/electronic you have in the U.S. you can get to work here, given enough transformers and UPSes. The only thing we didn't and won't bring to Bonaire are antiques and original artwork (oil paintings, water colors, etc.) because of the temperature and humidity issues, but we know people who have both here and do fine.

Keep in mind that if you buy new here, it will be more expensive by quite a bit than buying new in the U.S. Keeping the old and shipping it is likely to be less expensive overall.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny van laar on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 6:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

an expat on Bonaire used te be called; makamba.

I missed that word.
I give it to you for free.

Jenny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 9:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is a sort of an insult reserved for the Dutch. I am sure sure that there is an alterante term for other nationalities. An interesting note: Makama in Swahili means friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 2:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have any BT watchers ACTUALLY shipped their vehicle MIA-BON? If so, what freight company was used? ALso, what was your experience having the vehicle serviced once on the island?

Jake, How much different is your local Tacoma from a US version? I'm contemplating bringing either a 94 2 x 4 std bed, or a 97 4x4 ......

Still looks cheaper to ship, than buy local for me at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have local versions of Tacomas on Bonaire? Got me...

For shipping, talk to AMCAR - 305-599-8866 - talk to Mercy.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 2:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good question Dara. As I had mentioned, if I ever moved back to the islands, I would want to take my 01 Solar Yellow XTerra. However, what a nightmare if I was in need of auto body work. Does BON have a Nissan dealership?

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, Aren't you driving a Toyota Tacoma, or the small 4X4......you did mention earlier in the thread you ended up buying a local Toyota....the burgundy truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What we drive is a Toyota HiLux Double Cab. Can't say what, if anything, it's called anywhere else outside the Southern Caribbean. New they run about US$18,000, I think - and that's with manual choke, power steering, seat belts (yes, they are an option), AM/FM/Cassette, manual transmission, and not much else.

Annie - there is a Nissan dealership here, but I don't know if they can fix anything new fangled :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Also, can u imagine a Solar Yellow Xterra on BON? Yikes, I could never blend in..LOL..But I love it soo....Are there any Xterras on island ? Hmm..just thinking..

Hey, does anyone else do what I do, escape and retreat from the world of reality, day to day work and wonder, ahhhh, could I pull a "Dara"? Move back to the Caribbean my heart says.
LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Annie, just give yourself permission to do what you want........

Jake, I actually was mixed up earlier - it was Jason that said he bought a local Toyota.....but the Hilux is the Tacoma equiv......and I did KNOW your truck was a TOY! Long days, short nights = tired head :- }

Jason, Jason, paging Jason! Any opinion to offer regarding the comparison between the Hilux and Tacoma, Caribe vs US, and upkeep/repair issues???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 7:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Check with the island people and in a much earlier thread here about the differences between island 'gas' and US 'gas', therefor engine differences and damage to US-design engines run on Bonaire. Especially fuel-injected engines. Quite high alcohol content on B, as I remember, as well as a poor grade of the petroleum portion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 7:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, earlier in this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 9:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I took a Suzuki Samarai down in 1993. I did so because that's what the rental companies were renting, thus parts and service were available. I also brought down the service manual since I had the fuel injection version (XL). Never had to have it serviced, but there are enough service people who know about cars that I 'personally' wouldn't worry. Never had a problem with unleaded Bonaire, it worked fine. Rust is another matter - double Z-bart it.......everything.

I sent it down inside a container with household items. Whatever the cost of containers are now would be the cost. I used an outfit in Jersey City - DO NOT use a national moving company to ship anything - they are overpriced and don't know the first thing about container shipping. Go to the experts. Nationals wanted me to tier, the experts packed the container utilizing every bit of space available. The last thing on the container was the nice chair for the customs agent to sit in while the container was unloaded. I also packed the inside of the vehicle.

There's a Pink Mercedes on island and other 'different' colors (yellow's etc) and makes....I wouldn't worry about looks down there :).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 11:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhh, GASSAHOL, just like we have in Minnesota! Cough, cough......

T'anks for all the advice! Also got some direction on freight from my export group......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 9:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The best advice...don't bring any cars not purchased here..it will cost you money (lots) in the long run. The only excepition are few such as barry mentioned. You can buy American cars that were made for the tropics in Curacao if that is what you really want. I have a Toyota as well as a Pontiac Transport...Pontiac is too expensive to fix here. Toyota is a dream!
Also, if you do bring a car which is not part of your onetime household move, you will pay 45% duty (they know what cars are worth here, so the $500 clunker will be valued at about 4 times that) Also, you have to sign and agreement not to sell the car for 3 years. I know of someone who sold a pickup after 18 months only to have the governmnt impound it! I repeat: It will end up costing you lots more to bring in a US car...big mistake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, u r scaring me..kidding..

:)

So am I getting this right, if one moves to BON you are allowed a ONE TIME household move (container) and it includes a car. What if you are only using the 3 month passport entry? Is that type or "resident" allowed this status? I guess if I move back to the islands, Solar Yellow Xterra ain't coming..Can u imagine trying to fix that after a fender bender...YIKES

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 12:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, Michael, if you had a 94 Toyota, Std bed, manual 5 speed, non-electronic, low milage work-horse......would you cough up the bucks and bring it along and drive it till it died or rusted thru???? I'm thinking $3-4K to get it there plus future repairs is still less expensive than buying something on the island....after all, it's only got to be run-about transport.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dara,

Ask about alcohol percentage in gasahol on island. As I remember it, Bonaire has a significantly higher percentage than US gasahol but I have not been up to date with things there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann..no such thing as a "three month resident" It is a tourist visa only. Anything beyond that, you will have to apply for residency. No, you will not be entitled to any non duty moves either! Leave the car at home. Dara, are you moving here as a resident? I still would not bring a US car here...but then again,you may luck out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 3:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, hypothetically, if one moves there, u have to leave island every 3 months til u get your residency and only then can u ship your goods down. And how does one gain residency?? Hmm..

In a country that will remain nameless, if u know someone in customs, no worries, otherwise there is a HUGE duty on ANY shipment.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Right now I will call myself a "touresident"
:-
}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 9:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, I would like to think that anyone moving or visiting here would like to play by the rules, pay their fair share of duty etc. so that the people of the island would have a chance to emerge from bad economic times. Customs has been widely criticized for being tough on folks here who falsify documents to reduce charges. I do support them and gladly pay the correct duty. What goes around comes around. BTW, when you arrive, go to immigration to apply for reisendcy. Most likely, you have to be off the island while you are being considered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is good, Michael! A rule should be for ALL. Where I used to live things were so corrupt and it all depended on who you knew. I am pleased to hear Bonaire has it's act together!!

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, September 26, 2001 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A slight change of tack here to furniture when moving to Bonaire. My daughter lost her wooden furniture (solid wood and particle board) to termites in a few years on Bonaire: shelves, speaker cabinets, etc. Food for thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 8:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

or food for termites! You can bring wooden stuff but you need to treat it with a chemical they sell here. I dont know what it does to the finish so leave the Queen Anne and Chippendale stuff at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter on Thursday, September 27, 2001 - 1:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm gonna start a new thread on home furnishings....to bring or not to bring?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration