BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Police roadblocks
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-07-31: Police roadblocks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Winkler (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 7:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been coming to Bonaire for years and the police presence has been minimal. Whats with these upcoming roadblocks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1996) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 8:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

They are checking for registration, insurance and that your car is in working order...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David F Pascoe (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 2:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael

My guess is that they will also be looking for drivers licenses. So what happens when you go diving and take no billfold???

Now I know my license is at least water resistant having laundered it a few times.... but a couple of weeks worth of salt water immersion???

Be interesting when they turf a few tourists out of their vehicles on the wrong side of town wearing nothing but shorts and booties. Then tell them to leave the vehicle and a few grand of dive gear while they hoof it across town to retrieve the vital document.

Not an argumentative post just ruminative... because I really beleive we need more active policing but some well defined policies might prevent misunderstanding. Are the rental cos telling clients to ALWAYS carry their docs??

david

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III - Rec Tek Scuba (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #273) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A simple solution to that problem is to tell them your car was robbed and they took at that stuff.

I just carry copies of my documents in my Truck. Registration, Drivers Lic., Insurance papers and Cedula.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #472) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I place a photo copy of my drivers license in the glove compartment of the truck I rent....I also black out my US address and SS# to cut down on the possibility of id theft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David F Pascoe (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok Walt suggestion number 1.... BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Both of your ideas about the copies make purrrrrfect sense.

Glad I asked. Thank you.

david

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17636) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I also make copies and keep everything else in the room safe. Yana, it bothered me that my ss# and info were on it so I always take it in my dry pack when diving. I'm just going to black them out from now on! Good idea, thanks:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For those US folks whose Social Security Numbers are still on their driver's licenses as your driver's license number, suggest checking with your state and seeing if you can get a reissued license with an alternative ID number. Several years ago Virginia started allowing alternative numbers (all beginning with the letter "T", and having the same number of characters as SSNs). Recently, they started issuing "T"-numbers on all renewal licenses, so shortly no licenses will have SSNs. Believe other states may have a similar policy. Might need to pay a small fee to get an updated license, but it would seem to be well worth it to avoid identity theft, considering your driver's license number and your birthdate are on the rental agreement, along with a credit card number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1999) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Warning to Bonaire Resodents. You must have orignials, esp. liscense..Police will not accept photo copies...you will get a nafl 50 ticket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #630) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last summer we were asked to stop at one of the routine roadblocks. We did not have our licenses as we were on our way from a dive. When we explained this to the police officer he sent us on our way and told us to have a nice day and enjoy the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #873) on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just give the cops a beer and go about your merry way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John"Smack"Anderson (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1174) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 8:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wally, you're always handing out beer!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2001) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 8:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Please note! My above post was directed to Bonaire Residents. As you can see from the other above post, the police are not interested in harassing visitors...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, thanks for the warning. We, the residents don't bring the required papers with us when we go diving either, can't put them in BC's pockets, can't leave them in the vehicle. I guess no diving until they are done checking out if everybody paid for the new license plate :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17641) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Juni, I have a waterproof pouch that is actually waterproof. I have the link somewhere, I'll try to find it for you. You could put your license in it, it would not get wet:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jenny (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was on Bonaire last week and came upon a road block on our way to go diving from our place at Lagoen Hill. The police could obviously see we were tourists in a rental truck (with dive gear in back) and simply waved us through.

it's a good thing, because we didn't have our wallets and driver's liscences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 7:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Way to go Walt... "tell them your car was robbed".

Too darned funny. I hope it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #275) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 7:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Juni,
As a resident you must carry your original drivers license.

After an interaction with the police last year I followed up with the prosecutors office. I had plead my case that I dive all over the island and didn't want to carry my original documents because of theft possibilities. I was left with the hope the law was being changed and copies would be accepted. Hasn't happened yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #276) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Addendum to my post above.

I used to drive a truck that attracted attention and thus was stopped a fair amount. Now that my truck looks like every rental on island it probably won't happen again.

According to the law you are supposed to carry the original. One of my challenges now is remembering where I hid it....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #21) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks folks,
Guess I'd start carrying my proof of insurance and the license plate receipt. My husband who drives most of the time carries his driver license. Hope a Ziploc bag won't leak when we dive :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17654) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, I have a "solution" to the envelope...YGM:-)

Juni, forgot to look for the link yesterday, will do so again today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #277) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Juni,
Your license plate receipt and insurance info won't be bothered in your glove box. No worries!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #156) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ziploc bags DO leak underwater, especially at the depths most divers go. Used to put my glasses and license in a Ziploc bag inside my "waterproof to diving depths" Witz Sportscase, and always had to drain both the case and the bag. Now I just put both my and my wife's glasses and my license into a small OtterBox tucked inside my skin, which to-date, has kept everything dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dr. Director (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #157) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, what are you using on your new truck to (a) hide the rust; and (b) hold everything together? Thought those were the reasons for your multi-color paint-job, besides using the leftover paint no one else wanted anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #278) on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wait until you and Resa see the "new" truck. Hope to have something done to it by the time you arrive.

It will never have quite the character of the flower truck.

See you soon, Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #877) on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Juni...hitch a ride with tourist...AND we have beer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17665) on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wally, I detect a "theme" here..lol ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #883) on Saturday, April 1, 2006 - 1:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

wogga
PS What is the heritage of Tuffy...I think I recognize her

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17680) on Saturday, April 1, 2006 - 2:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

off topic

Wally, sad that the word "wogga" drew me to this thread...lol.. She is Nordic Tug number "11", 26' 1981. Michael probably knows the history. We've had our boat up for sale for a while have been looking for another boat...vacliating between fast...and tug (slllooowww)...someone else has a 95 that just arrived in our harbor so we chatted with him yesterday and took a look around at "Scooter." Cute little boats:-) Where would you know Tuffy from? He is in Anacosta (something like that) Washington San Juan Islands right now. PM me if you know about Tuffy:-)

(Message edited by cyndelee on April 1, 2006)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17708) on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 1:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

JUNI...if you are still reading this, This is the dry pack I use when diving to carry any ID, money, etc. It does keep it all dry. I'd be happy to order one for you and bring it down next time I come to Bonaire. Just PM me if you are interested (or anyone else on island for that matter). I also have the cell phone one. It works great when I'm out on my CG patrols and have to call the Coast Guard base every 30 minutes to report our ops and position:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Grasshopper,
Thanks for the offer. I have a little Pelican case big enough for papers and a cellphone. I think it would fit in hubby's BC pocket.
That's a good looking boat you have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17709) on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 4:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Juni:-) It's not ours yet, but soon if all goes as planned:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #281) on Tuesday, April 4, 2006 - 9:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

yes, but we are all hopeful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17715) on Tuesday, April 4, 2006 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan, yes, we are. However there will be no "hobbits" allowed ;-)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration