BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Flamingo TV
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2006-03-01 to 2006-07-31: Flamingo TV
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeroen Seegers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you notice that Flamingo TV changes channels on their own initiative? So, now we have at channel 42 a thing called Animal Planet. Who for heaven's sake did ask for this. O and channel 38 is obviously sponsored by the Spanish soccer because it is now the channel for Real Madrid. Hey mister Flamingo, stop fooling around please!

After an absence of some weeks, channel 28 is back.

What I wonder is why Flamingo TV continues treating us as if we must be so glad that they are so kind to offer their services while we should be the clients or as the say in Dutch: De klant is koning.

So far, so good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #132) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Animal Planet is great. That, travel channel, and NFL network are the only tv stations I watch lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #305) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BonaireTalk Jeroen!

You are right, Flamingo is changing channels all the time, and also some good channels were changed for idiot channels like "the food channel". We didn't ask for that.
Actually they have a package of about 15% less available channels then when I started with Flamingo. On top of that the technical quality of some channels is a lot less (rain & snow and digital blocks), and the amusement value of several channels changed also in negative way.
I have sent them a mail some months ago, and I could see that they didn't open their mails for over 30 days (because of the return-receipt I had asked for). (Remember, they are also the providers of Hi-price/low-speed Internet-connection). And I didn't get any answer after some other 2 months. I reduced the payment relatively to their performance two months ago, didnt'get any reaction up to now, and when they will really disconnect me, I will change to the other provider. I heard their quality is a lot better for about the same price.
I suggest everybody reduce the payment to Flamingo according to the difference in available valuable channels compared to when you started with them.
I think they have the problem of channels getting disconnected because they are "stealing" the signals and not paying any money to the channel-providers. Sometimes we get messages like "You are not allowed to see this channel" and I think it is not us, who doesn't have the allowance, but it is Flamingo.

I really hope we can press them by bringing our payments back to a lower level, to come to a better performance. Complaining at their "service-desk" doesn't bring any answer,for not to say improvement.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #135) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder what the availability of satellite TV is on Bonaire. The satellites antenna patterns are centered for coverage in the northern hemisphere but the signals should be available further south. I would think using a lower noise receiver and larger antenna would make the receivable in Bonaire. Then the issue would be getting the signal de-scrambled from the from folks like Direct TV and so forth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have had a complaint about Flamingo TV since last December but did not want to say anything thinking that it was mostly my fault. But now that we have this thread:
I have cable and broadband services since July 2005. Flamingo TV sends no bills so I paid them around the same day I paid WEB which was about 1 or 2 days later than Flamingo TV due date on the 12th of each month.
FlamingoTV personnel never complained or saying anything to me until last December when the cashier clerk calmly announced that she charged me 200 plus Naf extra for disconnection and reconnection fees. I explained to her in vain that I still have the service i.e. no disconnected/reconnected services yet. Nope, she was adamant and said I was late therefore I had to pay the extra charge.
No other choice, I paid. Ten days later I was in my yard and saw a Flamingo TV truck arrived next to my utility box. One guy jumped out getting ready to undo the cable. I yelled at them to stop saying that I already paid. They demanded to see my receipt and called to their office to verify even after they saw my receipt.
I was angry at the rip-off and the inept of their inter-office communication/ procedure but I guess I have to take the goods with the bads living in Bonaire (sigh)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #306) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 5:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Juni,

Nice story,
And actually it is a shame that hey are free to do so. Their quality is really so bad....

BTW, we had a letter about that disconnecting about half-a-year ago. That said that you would not get any warning anymore, when you paid your bills (that you actually don't get) too late. And would be disconnected a few days later.

I don't think it is right to put the goods and the bads on Bonaire on a weighing scale, in this case. Here is a group of people just ripping us, when they could do a much better job.

Please Bonairian CableTV-users, please share the action to reduce payments, when the number of channels stays so low and the quality is so bad as it is now. There is an alternative and it is better. Jake knows more about that alternative.

Just one problem, you have to pay starting fees again, while you won't get your Flamingo-starting fees paid back.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 12:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

After the poor programming, the loss of channels and bad quality, I decided to ditch Flamingo. I went into their office to give them the required notice of one month and to pay them that amount in advance.
However, I refused to pay for the disconnection fee as I felt that it was not my fault that I no longer required the service. If I had been provided with what they had promised, I would not have cancelled.
Typically, I was told that there was no way that they would waiver the disconnection fee, however, if I decided not to give them notice and did not pay my final month, they would disconnect me anyway without cost to me. Guess what, I did just that and saved 150 nafs, classic!
Take my advice, ditch Flamingo. They expect payment on time but don't pay their provider (Dish Network) hence the outages.
UTS offer a basic package via Satellite for the same money, you can add on other packages as required.
ADSL from Telbo is not great but superior to Flamingo.When they run out of customers maybe they will realise how bad their business is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 5:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did you manage to persuade UTS to do something about the equipment connection costs? It worked out to over 2000 guilders to switch the hotel, so I haven't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregg Babcock (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anthony or anyone else,
Do you mind sharing how much Telbo internet is? The links on their website for ISP pricing do not work. Also do you know if UTS has a website? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As a domestic user, the initial connection cost was around 220 guilders for the equipment and installation, that price includes the first months usage which is 110 guilders unlimited.
For a further 30ish guilders you can upgrade from a standard USB connection to ethernet.

The only problems that I have occured is occasional slow running, a problem that they say is being resolved, watch this space.

As far as connecting to TDS satellite TV through UTS, the connection fee was about half of what Flamingo charge. However, I have been having problems with digital "squaring" on certain channels, this is said to be due to work being carried out on the dish at Seru Largoe. I will of course be garnishing my payment accordingly for next month.

I am with Harry. There are too many companies on Bonaire who give bad service because they can. This is due because of lack of competition, they know that we have little or no choice so we have to accept it. If everyone deducts for poor service when they pay their invoices, the should get the message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeroen Seegers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 11:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's another one regarding Flamingo. A couple of months ago I decided to do what I saw as my right and so I deducted a certain percentage from my monthly fee. A percentage I carefully calculated.

However, I was too friendly. I sent Flamingo a message in which I explained to them what and why of my deduction.

Somewhere in the second month I suddenly was cut off. No TV, no Internet and so I went down to their office to speak with friendly Desiree who explained to me that we only have a connexion with Flamingo and we do not have the right to see the channels they show us in Channel 33.

The only thing I could do was paying what I had deducted an be VERY glad that I could leave there without paying again the connexion fee.

Although I am really thinking about satellite TV, I once had it when I was living in St Eustatius. I really missed my BVN!!!! So, until there is a satellite with some Dutch channels, do I have a choice?

The only solution would be a pay-strike of a lot of payees, but, that will be vain hope.

Jeroen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #311) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jeroen,

I did exactly the same as you did.

I have send them in the beginning of Februari a mail to tell that I would deduct the payment of March. Actually they opened the e-mail just in the beginning of March.
We are now at the end of March, and I am still connected.
I am not sure if they can disconnect cable-TV and Internet together, because I pay my Internet-costs for the full 100%. Actually they also have down-times, so I also could deduct a part of it, as I have done about a year ago. I paid every other month my Internet-fee.
And if they disconnect, I will change to other providers, and I know Telbo promised at least they will give me a fast connection with their system.

And, of course, when I am disconnected from the Internet, I will come to you to check my e-mails.....
And when disconnected from cable-TV we will finally have the time to look at all the DVD's and Videos we have never had the time to look at.
I think it is worth to mobilise the BT-people to all do the same, this will prevent them from disconnecting. I think it is not a thought "in vain". They will get the message!

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1994) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I am not mistaken telbo is running a special of free dsl hookup this month. check it our...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeroen Seegers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Harrie,

Don't buy that nonsense about not being allowed to disconnect. They just do it as I experienced. And as the signal is coming from just one cable, the really do disconnect you from any signal.

So, isn't Direct TV an option as I see quite a lot of antennas on the island.

Next week I'll go and see if Telbo has something nice to offer although having on my mind all the people that will be waiting to pay their bill....

Jeroen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #313) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jeroen,

As said in a post before, Telbo should have a nice offer just this month. If you have the possibility to check on monday or tuesday, I can stop paying Flamingo completely before the end of the month, and change to the Telbo-offer.
Otherwise I will have to pay the whole month of April again.

Please if you have time, to check, and let me know when I'm back on Tuesday.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregg Babcock (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 8:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anthony - Thanks for the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antony Bond (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 7:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeroen.
BVN is on the TDS satellite package that I have so you do have an option

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeroen Seegers (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 9:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK Anthony. I'll check it out, thanks.

At the moment, Telbo offers its internet at the normal monthly fee. They state that untill the month of June you don't have to pay entrance fee. So, let's see....

Jeroen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WHUDS (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 7:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

you can't win I've had TDS UTS for 3 weeks of Heck, no watchable TV! Flamingo is the only game in town and they know it.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration