BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Marijuana Laws
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archhives - 2005-11-08 to 2006-03-01: Marijuana Laws
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zach H (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey I was just seeing if anyone knows if marijuana is legal in Bonaire since its a part of the netherlands and if it is easy to get if it is legal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7146) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 6:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Zach this is a heck of a first post for a family oriented forum don't be surprised if it gets dumped in the trash.. and since I am a moderator I am considering it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grasshopper (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17189) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 7:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Zach, it is not legal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #239) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 7:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

There are no drugs in Bonaire!

jiminiŽ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #240) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 7:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just trying to redeem myself for my last posts on Bonaire Crime!!
:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1049) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 7:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Jimini, all is forgiven! Your statement is not quite factually accurate, but drugs which are illegal in the US are also illegal on Bonaire.
As for you, Zach, Bonaire is not part of the Netherlands.
It is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Netherlands Antilles.
The Netherlands is just Holland.
And the Bonaire negotiators are insisting that some laws from the Netherlands NOT apply to Bonaire when we become a Kingdom Island. I suspect that's one they have in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By constance (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, as far as no drugs on Bonaire...there is beer, wine, liquor, coffee, tea, chocolate, cigarettes...I am sure there are more. Personally chocolate is my drug of choice. :-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1050) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 8:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Me too, Constance!
Freddie, don't dump this thread. Others must wonder the same thing. Let this thread give them a permanent answer. Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7148) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Tish, I will leave the thread but if he had just searched for it he would have found the same answer but then again maybe he had his brains in the smoke..... Been there done that...Gave it up to save brain cells ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1051) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Freddie, searches would reduce the number of BT threads, but this topic is bound to interest others, and we need to make sure folks don't come here looking for drugs.
You're a sweetie! Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timmmmy (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1131) on Thursday, March 2, 2006 - 11:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Zach - Dude not the view of Bonaire I'd want to have....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2133) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 6:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

He he he...Bonaire is the only place where Wes and I vacation that someone does not try to sell us something. It is a welcome relief!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #291) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 7:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think I have to add something.

Marihuana (at least I know how to write it), is illegal on Bonaire, just as it is in the Netherlands. In the Netherlands it is what we call "tolerated under certain terms". On Bonaire the rules are not so strict on everything, but I don't think a person would be in trouble when catched with a little bit of marihuana for own use. Just as in the Netherlands.
It is relatively easy to get it here, and they offer it to you very often (also harder stuff) in the region around Karel's / Kaya Grandi. BTW it is a lot cheaper here then in the Netherlands.

I know there are a lot of people on this board who want to give the idea that Bonaire is heaven on earth, and I also think it is near to that, but also on Bonaire there is drugs (it is a big problem here), as is crime, just as in most other parts of the world.
I think it is better to give honest answers in stead of telling lies or falsehoods, just to give a better picture of Bonaire.

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2141) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 7:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Harrie...if you are going to start to accuse people of telling lies and falsehoods, you should not make blanket statements. I for one did not lie. No one has tried to sell marijuana nor any other type of drug to myself or my partner while we were on Bonaire. That in and of itself is amazing for us because everywhere else that we have vacationed, and I do mean everywhere, someone has propositioned us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #292) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 7:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeanine,
I didn't mean to accuse anybody, I just have big problems with the fact that nearly everybody on this board tries to give a better picture of Bonaire then it is. Just by not telling things, or leaving negative things out of the discussion.
I don't think it is wise to go personal in a board like this.
You must have been very lucky that nobody bothered you, when I walk in that region, I always get drugs offered (and I don't mean chocolate). I am not a customer, but perhaps my looks are a little bit "alternative"?

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back to Jeanine, or is it Tribs? (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2142) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 8:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Harrie, I can respect your position. I guess we have been lucky. We always joke about looking like the "type" because every vacation no matter where, someone offers us something - except on Bonaire. It became a ritual of sorts for us to be solicited as we left the dive boat, no matter the destination - Keys, St. Thomas, Caymans, etc. We both laughed when the DM on our boat in Bonaire didn't offer us something when we left him for the day.

We especially dread coming back through Miami customs from the Caribbean because they always say something to the effect of: "you two look like you might have brought some fun back with you, let's check your luggage." Drives me nuts! We even dressed up one time - Wes shaved, I wore a conservative dress, he had on Dockers, etc... they searched us. Coming home from the Dominican Republic, they even x-rayed my carved statues to be sure I wasn't smuggling something in the bellies. LOL!

I guess I will consider us lucky while on Bonaire. Hopefully our luck will hold during the next trip. Sorry that you are solicited so much.

Cheers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1049) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Harrie, for your honesty, and common sense presentation of your island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #350) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 9:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are there lots of illegal drugs available on Bonaire? Yes. Does Bonaire have a considerable problem with the flow of drugs through Bonaire and the use of them on island? Yes. Do the authorities spend time trying to stop this? Yes. Would you be a complete fool in taking the chance of getting busted in a foreign country where you are subject to their rules and penalties? Absolutely. Rent the movie Midnight Express if you need to be reminded of what can happen to you if you decide to mess with these substances in another country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cindy W. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #434) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 10:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Appreciate the candor and honesty Harrie. I would say that it is much preferable to call it as it is. We've not been approached with drugs however, we have experienced crime first hand on a few occasions. I like to know what I should expect when I travel so that I can be appropriately cautious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #351) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Freddie,
Your contributions as moderator are so appreciated here on BT, and your helpfulness on this forum in general has been amazing over the years. You are highly respected, but I must offer a few points of disagreement and comments on your post. Just some input from a loyal BTer.

--Please don't consider dumping posts like this in the trash. It is a valid topic that could provide very useful info for visitors to Bonaire (and that IS our mission here, right?)
--Providing the facts on an issue like this IS important; might even save someone from a potential horrendous experience with the Bonaire authorities.
--I also feel compelled to comment on your "family-oriented forum" statement. First, I'm not sure how true that is, but more importantly, I have to note that I've NEVER seen any objections to all the alcohol related posts here. The number of references to Brights, Amstels, rum, single malt scotches, being met with a beer at the airport, and just general "we got really trashed" references are innumerable. As they said on Seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that." Just think that if you're considering removing questions about pot for "family-oriented reasons" that there's lots of other references you'd have to remove if you wanted to be consistent. IMHO it's better to have these discussions than to censor them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7151) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 10:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott thank you for your comments.. My real beef with this Troll is that it was his first post..Not a very good first impression if you ask me and I am entitled to my opinion just like you and everyone else is.. and perhaps if he had more in his profile.... I did NOT trash the thread so that is a moot point.. and as far as I know alcohol is NOT illegal in Bonaire or in most parts of the world whereas Marijuana is illegal in Bonaire and other places in the world{NOT EVERYWHERE but in some places.}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Phillips (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #352) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 11:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Freddie--
No one can know whether Zach is a troll or not, but it seemed like a legitimate question to me. My thoughts behind mentioning alcohol has nothing to do with the legality of it, but more to do with the "family-oriented" comment. I personally find it odd that so many people think that exposing kids to alcohol use and abuse as if it were benign is somehow okay, whereas a frank discussion of marijuana is not. Both substances can be used OR abused, and I personally know of far more people for whom alcohol has a been a destructive factor in their lives than people who have had their lives adversely affected by pot. I personally use neither, but feel that it is hypocritical to send a message that alcohol is okay when extolling the dangers of pot. Sort of reminds me of a scoutmaster I had as a kid who preached how bad drugs are, yet he smoked three packs of Chesterfields a day and drank two pots of coffee each day. This guy was, IMHO, a serious addict, and the message he was trying to deliver was full of enough hypocrisy that it essentially fell on deaf ears. The legality issue is certainly fodder for another discussion (over club sodas in Bonaire sometime, perhaps?!), but, hey, all this guy did was ask whether it was legal or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Tweed (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 12:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't want to get into a fight here, but I don't think Zach is necessarily a troll. He asked a simple question, inquiring as to what the laws on Bonaire are. He is probably misguided as to the laws of the Netherlands, but Amsterdam does have a worldwide reputation as a place to use marijuana ( both spellings are accepted, depending on where you are Harrie.) Zach is aware that pot is illegal in the US, enough so that he does not post a profile with his real name and directions to his house. He might never have tried pot, but may be interested to do so in a place where it's legal. Heck, William F. Buckley smoked it outside the three mile limit. Harrie rightly gives Zach the information he desires, Zach can now make up his own mind.
I think Scott's point is a valid one, sometimes there is a certain glorification of alcohol on the boards that many of us have indulged in, and many more people have been hurt and killed by alcohol abuse than pot. Most localities have laws against appearing intoxicated in public, and few places allow public drinking outside of sporting events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM KENNEDY (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #241) on Friday, March 3, 2006 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You don't need to trip on drugs if you dive... The dive is the TRIP!

jiminiŽ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill and Donna Goodwin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My 2 cents - as you drive north through downtown on that colorful main street and reach the end, Lost Penguin on your right, look to the left and almost anytime from noon into the night there will be one or more guys loafing on that corner. I always thought that sure looks like a place to "score" but being 62 and looking more like the Man than like a buyer, no one ever approached me. My 24 year old son, on the other hand - he said that in the space of one walk in the early evening, a guy on that corner and two others over on Karel's side asked him things like, "Anything you need, man?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Your Babsness (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10436) on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 5:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well put Tweed! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Quirky For Now (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 6:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think this subject should be talked about for people that want to know. If you don't want to know then just don't pay any attention to it.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration