BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Cellphone on Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archhives - 2005-11-08 to 2006-03-01: Cellphone on Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was told today when trying to buy a Cellular One phone card for my TDMA phone that the company was bought out by another company and the service is in limbo. No more card is available and no more minutes can be added on. I understand that I would be better off getting a GSM phone to use on Bonaire with other local service providers.
My questions are:
1. Which Nokia phone would work with Bonaire GSM system?
2. Which local GSM phone service would be most reliable and cost effective?
Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #289) on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello juni

All GSM-phones with tri-Band-system work on Bonaire (as they do on most of the countries in the world).
I use a Nokia 6230i, and I am very happy with that thing.
Actually I use a dutch service-provider, because I can use my old dutch number, everybody knows. I don't use it often on the island, because calling on Bonaire is expensive with a dutch-located phone. But it is possible.

As far as I know there is just one provider for GSM-connections, and that is Telbo. According to Antillean-standards they do quite good work. I think they have only pre-paid-possibilities, although they promised to get subscription-possibilities too.
Be sure to have Tri-band, the rest is just a thing what you want to spend. You can buy it all over the world, and get a pre-paid-SIM-card with Telbo.

Good luck

harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1168) on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 2:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a GSM tri-band older Nokia, and just get a chippie and pre-paid cards from Telbo here. Chat & Browse also has them if it's more convenient. Works fine!

Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1002) on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 2:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cellular One is dead? Wow! No wonder my phone stopped working.
Fortunately, when that occurred, I took my British GSM phone to Telbo and started using their system. My phone is dual band. It works in Europe and on Bonaire, but not in the US.
Telbo has both pre-paid and post-billed GSM plans.
I live in Belnem, and sometimes the signal weakens. It seems to be when the cruise ships are in port. At those times, if I go outside, that helps.
Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As they said in Texas, thanks y'all for the information. Unfortunately I only have a very old TDMA Nokia phone so I guess it's time for me to look for a new phone :-(

Do y'all know where on the island I can find one cheap? I was quoted anywhere from 75 USD to 500 NAF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Wayne Williams (The Great Escape) (BonaireTalker - Post #85) on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The staff that is converting Cellular One is staying at my hotel, so I got a chance to talk with them. We didn't talk about business ownership, just technology. They are switching from a TDMA system to CDMA. The conversion should be complete early next week. I was flabbergasted to find that they did a technology swapout without warning. Apparently, there is a plan in place to give out CDMA phones, but I have no idea to who, or when.

I use Telbo's GSM system, myself. Like Tish, I find the signal in Belnem to be a bit weak, but other than that it seems to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan - www.bonairecaribbean.com (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2115) on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 8:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

You need the correct band phone to have success. I have an 850 tri band that does NOT work. The correct bands are 900/1800 and I think 1900

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1009) on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 9:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, Ann, I completely forgot about that. Thanks for adding that info. Would hate for anybody to buy the wrong phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #290) on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ann!

Good addition.
Actually, the GSM-system on Bonaire is 1800band. The 900band is common in the most European countries, mostly having also 1800. The 1900band is mainly for the USA. Actually I had never heard of a 850band, and I even didn't know that there were triband phones other then 900/1800/1900.

What the hell now, again another system: CDMA? Aren't there already enough incompatible systems along the world?
GSM seemed to have become some kind of a "world-standard".......

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juni (BonaireTalker - Post #13) on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 11:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would be glad to trade my old Nokia TDMA for a new one CDMA.
Kevin, would you ask them where should I go to get it next week? :-)
I did a search yesterday to learn a little about GSM phones and its bands. I gathered that roughly the 900/1800 is used mostly in Europe and the 800(850)/1900 is more common in the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Ginocchio's @ Golden Reef Inn (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #986) on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 2:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I went yesterday to telbo and traded in my old celluarone for the GSM from Telbo. They kept the phone and changed my phone number by just one number. The whole thing cost me $44.00 and they gave me a 20 guilder credit on the phone. I'm happy, and it's actually cheaper than Cellularone.

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tish (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1016) on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's great, Liz!
Did you receive a tri-band or a dual band phone? Can you use your new phone in the US?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1981) on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We spent a half of day wasting valuable island time trying to get the chip for our phone only to find out that ours wouldn't work on island. I say why bother when Michael at Chat'N'Brouse rents phones at such a reasonable rate and he makes it so easy and quick!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5465) on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with you, Darlene! Michael does make life much easier for everyone with his cell rentals and the prepaid cards to go with it. Can't beat it....literally and figuratively. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #971) on Wednesday, March 1, 2006 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Getting a phone from Michael is definately the way to go.His prices are so reasonable.
It's so much easier to go and rent one and have him explain it all. The calls back to the US are so much cheaper that way than from your hotel phones.
He also has some interesting things for sale and a web connection for a fee.
Plus you may get to meet Michael, who is such a dear.He can usually help you out with any questions you have about things.
Lover's ice cream shop next store is an added bonus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4530) on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,
We will be arriving on Sat. April 8th, and plan to stop by your store on Sun for 2 phone rentals. Getting your NY times this Sunday! One week to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Borek (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

CDMA is used in the US by Verizon Wireless. Cingular (which was Cell One) switched from TDMA to GSM over the last few years in the US. CDMA is more efficent in handling calls than TDMA is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2010) on Saturday, April 1, 2006 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The local Cellular one has now a new name, MIO and has switched over to CDMA format. A GSM company from Curacao will be opening in the next few weeks on Bonaire to compoete with UTS

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration