BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Dredging Sand in Lac Bay
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2000-01-06 to 2001-03-07: Dredging Sand in Lac Bay
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Wednesday, June 9, 1999 - 4:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was really upset to read in Bonaire E-News about both the past and proposed dredging of sand from Lac for construction purposes. This just seems like biting the hand that feeds you, from the point of view of preserving the diving industry on the island. So much of the marine life that attracts divers to Bonaire's reefs start their existence among the grasses of the shallow flats in Lac. I know that you recommended sending letters to the Bestuurscollege, urging against such ecological shortsightedness, but what else can be done...if anything.
Please tell me that there are people on Bonaire---a lot of them, I hope---who know what a devastating thing this would be. If people do not realize that, maybe they should be sent on a snorkling trip across the sands or along the edge of the mangroves behind Sorobon. The waters are full of juvenile barracuda, juvenile parrotfish, conch, and all sorts of critters. It is such a marvelous place to visit when you want to see how it all begins.
As one of the articles in the E-News said, we should not try to modify what nature does with sand and water. We usually screw it up when we try to do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 7:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The sand was not for building. It was used to ceate artifical beaches, which doubles the problem.

Bonaire says it is Unpoiled,Unhurried and I guess they should say Un-natural.

It is being fought though and I think it will stop. If not there will be a fight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Saturday, June 12, 1999 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let a lesson be learned from messing with "Mother Nature"....leave the Bay alone. It is not worth destroying the natural beauty and chain of life in the Bay to attempt to create artifical bathing/diving beaches and/or building development for the tourists......the same tourists who will cease to visit Bonaire IF the Bay and its environment is destroyed by Man.

I don't think you want Bonaire to (over)develop in the same manner Aruba did....way too quickly and way too much. I still love Aruba, but it is not the "quiet little island" we used to love so much and retreat to in order to get away from crowds and the hustle and bustle and madness of the city and "high tourism" areas.

Please fight hard to keep Bonaire as "innocent" as it is today. Don't destroy the beauty and naturalness of it. Carole Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niki Harris on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 9:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Seeking an update on this situation. Any news?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration