BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Any wind?? Anything???What's doing down there...from Chantal?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2001-03-08 to 2002-10-17: Any wind?? Anything???What's doing down there...from Chantal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 8:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone up with a live weather report?? The weather cam shows another lovely day, I think?
Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you get what the other islands get, your cisterns will be full tonight..the satellite imagery looks freaken scary..ooopss..sorry for the language..I am all excited!

Here on Cape Cod this is common news..I know, you'd think I lived in a vacume. But I get this way during the hurricane season. LOL..

Small Craft Advisory for BON today..so tie up those boats...I am off to windsurf. We have 30+ winds expected so I will leave u all alone for the day..ciao for now..Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boudewijn Scholts on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 9:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings from Bonaire. In order to inform you on the weather status, please find below the update no. 3 of our Meteorological Service. I live on this beautifull island for over 6 years now, and this is not unusual. We should keep an eye on it but nothing realy to worry about!

To read fresh updates:
http://www.meteo.an/meteo2/weerkamer/advisory.htm

METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE NETHERLANDS ANTILLES & ARUBA
Telephone (+5999) 839-3360 839-3361 Telefax (+5999) 868-3999 869-2699 E-mail: cur-met@meteo.an
CYCLONE MESSAGE NO 3
INFORMATION ADVISORY NO 3
August 17, 2001 9:00 A.M.
.......CHANTAL now a very strong tropical wave......

STORM IDENTIFICATION: VERY STRONG TROPICAL WAVE (FORMERLY TROPICAL STORM CHANTAL)

INTENSITY CATEGORY: STRONG TROPICAL WAVE.

CENTER LOCATION: NONE

LOCATION TIME: NOT APPLICABLE.

PRESENT MOVEMENT: WEST AT 40 KM/HR...... or 25 MPH

MAX WINDS NEAR CENTER: NOT APPLICABLE.

DISCUSSION: Reconnaissance aircraft were unable to find a closed circulation, therefore Tropical Storm Chantal was downgraded to a strong tropical wave. This system continues to move rapidly westward and looks impressive on the latest satellite imagery with a solid cloud mass. With the present forward motion, the system is expected to pass over Bonaire, Curaçao and Aruba during this afternoon and evening. Cloudiness is expected to increase further over Bonaire, Curaçao and Aruba as the morning progresses and some scattered thundershowers are likely to develop. During the passage of the tropical wave shower and thundershower activity are expected.

EFFECT LOCAL CONDITIONS:
Surface winds are expected to become northeasterly or variable later this morning and should gradually become southerly or southwesterly during the afternoon and evening with moderate speed (15-20 kts) and higher gusts in showers or thundershowers.

As the winds become southerly, sea conditions on the southern and western coasts of the islands could deteriorate later today and therefore owners of small boats are advised to moor their vessels securely. THEREFORE A SMALL CRAFT WARNING IS IN EFFECT AS FROM NOON (12 P.M.) TODAY. Operators and owners of coastal facilities are advised to take the necessary precautions this morning.

Locally heavy rainfall may occur, accompanied by strong wind gusts.

The Meteorological Service of the Netherlands Antilles & Aruba will monitor the developments of this system closely and issue the necessary advisories when appropriate.

WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT: SMALL CRAFT WARNING IN EFFECT FOR THE ABC-ISLANDS

NEXT ADVISORY: Friday, 12:00 P.M.

END

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is something else:

1010 AM EDT FRI AUG 17 2001

AN AIR FORCE PLANE FOUND A SMALL CIRCULATION CENTER ASSOCIATED WITH
THE REMNANTS OF CHANTAL. ADVISORIES ON CHANTAL WILL RESUME AT 11 AM
AST.

AVILA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 3:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you look at the satelite image from 1.45 pm it looks like the wave is already over Bonaire and Curaçao. On Bonaire: Zero wind - means high humidity - hot - lots of clouds. I live in Belnem, south of the airport and up to now not a drop of rain here. There were some darker clouds above the hills direction Rincon, perhaps they had some rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Brigitte.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Friday, August 17, 2001 - 6:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte, thank you.. it's now in my favourites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 6:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's now Saturday morning. The satellite image from 5.15am shows Chantal past our islands - there are still some clouds around - but up till now no wind - no rain
Have a nice week end all
Brigitte
http://www.CocoPalmGarden.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 7:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

What! All the excitement fizzled out? Bummer. A little rain in August would really help the island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 8:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know..Ernst over at Jibe City said nothing NADA..wow, hard to believe having "researched" all am yesterday.

Hope our BON bound friends traveling through Mo Bay get out ok today and Sun. Wonder if Air JA will cancel flights?

See you in BON on the 25th barring any more weather items..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

AJ did cancel Bonaire flights yesterday. Shouldn't be a problem today.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Wahlig on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 2:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, that was fun trying to get home. I never want to be stuck in Mo Bay again. Finally arrive in OHare at 5:10am Monday, instead of 9:30pm Saturday...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, August 21, 2001 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What happened..details, man...You were in Mo Day all that time?? Oh my...

Annie who leaves (she hopes) 4 days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Wahlig on Wednesday, August 22, 2001 - 8:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Trip TO Bonaire, mechanical problems on plane that should have been in OHare. Air Jamaica chartered another plane to pick us up 3 hours later than normal departure. Get to Mo Bay after Bonaire plane is gone. They put us up in the Wyndham all-inclusive. Good place, but I can't dive... Next day, Sunday, we get the normal connection to Bonaire.

Return trip: Chantal closes Mo Bay so no Saturday return. Sunday, regular departure from Bonaire (double the people). Arrive to Mo Bay to find they are still planning what to do with an airport full of people from the prev day. We were told that our flight is 6 hours delayed from the 6:15pm departure. They cart us off (after an hour of processing the other travelers) to Holiday Inn (craptacular). For the 42 Chicago bound, they allocate 5 courtesy rooms. You get a 3 min calling card to use on the public phone behind the speakers of the band. I forced them to let us use the room phone! The Holiday Inn had no place to retreat to but the rooms for A/C, and it was hot and humid after the storm... Then we learn that our flight is another hour delayed. Finally arrive OHare at 5:10am Monday.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration