BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Just one quick question.
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2005-07-17 to 2005-11-07: Just one quick question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Eichelberger (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got the shore diving guide from Susan Taft (thanks loads) today and it rocks. A must have for any Bonaire trip and worth twice the money. My question is in regards to tip number 10 about not locking your car to prevent broken windows. Is this an ordinary state of affairs in Bonaire? I can see not leaving expensive stuff out in the open, but are cars/truck routinely ransacked while people are diving?

Thanks
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim L. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #425) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 8:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff- yes they are...they will take everything including opened drink bottles...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peggy Guice (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 8:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff: Yes, it happens. It's not a big deal, just don't take anything with you that you can't take underwater. I never use a dive bag, but put my gear together before leaving the hotel.

Get a small "dry box" and keep some money, car key, etc. in it. You can fasten these small boxes inside a BC pocket. My expensive sunglasses also go in a case inside a BC pocket.

I do usually leave a t-shirt and a baseball cap in the truck, and those have never been bothered.

Home for me (Atlanta) is much worse. I'll take the petty stuff in Bonaire any day.

Whirlwind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally and Eva (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #854) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 9:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I drive to the dive site naked. (just kidding).

I never carry wallets, passports, money (except a few guilders)when I dive. When I'm in the water the only thing in the bed of the truck is my shorts and T Shirt and a couple of towels.

All windows down, doors unlocked, truck keys and a few guilders hidden under a rock 50 paces from truck, fake dog poop on dive bag under truck tail gate (in down position).

Eva and I ramble all over the place diving and have never been pilfered (other then the beer I claim was swiped and she asserts I drank)

N0 problems to date (trips=8)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #793) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Two trips here and only had a bottle of sunblock snatched. That was while the truck was parked in town in the parking lot near Subway and we were shopping. Never anything at the dive sites and we did a lot of shore dives. We are guessing it was probably some kids who were just looking to have some fun - school was out. We leave all of the windows open, tailgate down, and use the mesh dive bags that have no pockets and are totally see-through. A few bucks and our keys dive with us. Both of our wetsuits have hidden pockets near the neck in back, plus we always have room in our BC. Oh yeah...don't lock your glove box. If it is locked they will assume you put something of value in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim L. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #427) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

there has been a rash of logbook thefts from open autos lately...why? we think they are looking for hidden cash inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14335) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 3:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff, rule is, if you leave it and will be bummed if it's gone when you get back from your dive, leave it in the hotel, hotel safe, or in your BC pocket...I have my really really UGLY sunglasses (seen by a few on this board), grungy shorts, ripped t, ugly flip flops, and a bottle of frozen water...not been hit...in fact, I've left the ugly sunglasses and flip flops in the open hoping they would be taken...no such luck...

So, as others have posted, don't leave it unless you can live without it and won't be upset if it's gone...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Roswell - The Last Bite Bakery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #135) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 8:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Definitely don't leave anything !! Yesterday, late afternoon, I took my dogs for a walk at kitten beach (south of the shrimp hatch near Jibe City). Had just been to the store so had my wallet hidden in the jeep along with my photo ipod. Please no comments --- I know better. This is a VERY secluded area - not a dive site. A couple of young surfers were there and sure enough when I returned my ipod and the money in my wallet were gone - along with a just purchased bottle of gin. Case of beer was left behind along with a case of diet sprite. They were with one scooter among three guys ... so I'm sure they walked away - maybe to Jibe City or The Place. Anyway...I can kiss those items goodbye unless the police get lucky.

Bummer.
A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Eichelberger (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks guys, I will pass the info onto the other members of the group we will be traveling with. From all the responses I guess that Susan really was serious about leaving your car unlocked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #365) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jeff, the advice is good. We have never had anything stolen but we set up our gear before we leave the condo's. We leave only old flip flops and t-shirts in the truck and a frozen water bottle and never lock our truck. We nearly always go back to the condo between dives so don't need to take a lot extra. if needed we will take a few guilders with us and put them in a zip lock baggie in a BC pocket.
Hope all this advice helps you.
Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14336) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 10:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annette, bummer...you need me to bring you a new photo ipod in October? I hope the police recover the items (probably won't get the gin back...)...again, sorry...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Roswell - The Last Bite Bakery (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #136) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey there Cynde. Thanks so much for the offer... I may take you up on it....I'll let you know.

:-( A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14343) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 7:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok Annette, keep me posted!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration