BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: DAN Insurance for Bonaire residents
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2005-07-14: DAN Insurance for Bonaire residents
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juneL (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 9:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My DAN insurance will expire soon. Now that I am Bonaire resident, Would I still be able to buy the insurance? Would the premium or coverage change?
I checked DAN Web site and all I found is "Check with DAN headquarters"
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6230) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 6:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome June,
You may want to really read the contract.. I have the feeling that unless you are 50 miles away from home, you will not be covered BUT I MAY BE WRONG!!! Also you may want to read your healthcare contract, as you may not be covered for DANGEROUS SPORTS..Unfortunately it is a catch 22 situation..See what they say about Hyberbaric coverage, that is really what it is all about..
There may be other insurances out there that will cover you locally.. try the Padi insurance and see what that says about local vs vacation coverage..I'm sure there will be others that will chime in today at somepoint.
Good Luck!!!

(Message edited by scubahb on June 26, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - BSDME (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #153) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

June,
You have mail,
Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6231) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here I found the 50 mile thing... it only has to do with the travel assist part of the plan..

"DAN provides free air evacuation for any medical emergency if a DAN member or an accompanying dependent is injured while at least 50 miles from home"

So I would assume that if you were in a dive accident or broke your leg walking into the water yesterday in Bonaire, you would have been transferred to the chamber/hospital via an ambulance rather than an air lift..
Again Good luck..

(Message edited by scubahb on June 26, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - BSDME (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Freddie,
In "Alert Diver" Magazine, January/February 2005 they talk about the issue of diving within 50 miles of "home". (which is why I saved it because I wasn't sure how it worked)

Travel Assist (a part of DAN insurance) is what kicks in when you are over 50 miles away and covers all sorts of medical emergencies. DAN insurance covers you for dive accidents/decompression at "home" as well as away.

Please contact www.diversalertnetwork.org for details.
Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6232) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

in the pdf file from DAN found here http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/preferredcert.pdf it states on page 7 of 13 that
"Covered charges means eligible charges that are medically Necessary services,supplies,care,or treatment for such injury. The accident must occur while Coverage is in force and while the Insured Person is on a trip that is more that fifty miles from his or her primary residence and for recreational purposes only. The charge incurred as a result of the accident must be incurred within 365 days of the accident."

That to me sounds like if you had an accident yesterday in Bonaire ,your home country, that DAN would not cover too much.. I think they figure your health care insurance will cover it..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan - BSDME (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #155) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Freddie,
Please look at page 3 of January/February issue of Alert Diver magazine under the topic "A Common Misconception".
Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #238) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 7:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As an option to DAN I use Dive Assure.
Dive Assure This is their International coverage page.

They have less restrictions than DAN. From their web site: "Dive Assure has no hidden conditions, no deductibles and no mileage minimum. We provide the broadest insurance coverage and related travel assistance benefits available anywhere - for a remarkably low price".

I also need their NO depth restriction on the Platinum program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #381) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 8:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Contact Valarie Stimpson at MCB Bank. She has been my insurance agent for nearly 15 yrs (she's an American living here). It's been great for me because she really knows her stuff, and better yet, can reduce pages of Dutch policies into a few sentences in English. I've responded quite a bit over the past years re: insurance--do a search & you'll see lots more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By juneL (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 8:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all very much for the information. I'll look more closely to see which is the best way to have the coverage.
Like your profile pictures.
Scubahb, looking at the "edited message" note, I hope you did not have to do a censor job just because I asked a dumb question :-)
I'm just a newbie in diving after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6233) on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Susan I must have been posting while you were posting as I didn't see your post on the Divers Alert article...I was not questioning your logic by any means..

June the edit was just to add a word so all might better understand alittle easier..

You have options here gal, research them all very carefully!! Again Good Luck.. I knew if I started , others would chime in..Thanks Everyone for your input to this situation..

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration