BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Flamingoes Cause Power Outage in Curacao!!!
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2005 - 2006: Archives - 2005-01-01 to 2005-03-01: Flamingoes Cause Power Outage in Curacao!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Daniels (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 8:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amigoe.com
Feb. 22, 2005

Flamingoes caused power failure 

CURACAO – The districts Jandoret, Curasol, and Boca Sami had power failure last Friday and Saturday evening between 22:00 and 23:00.  They are not sure yet what had caused this problem, but Aqualectra surmises that a flamingo is the culprit.  The other districts were not affected. 

Spokesperson Sharo Bikker explained that there is an electric cable that goes along the saltpans on the road to Bullenbaai.  “It is possible that a flamingo flew against the cable at night, but it is also possible that a flamingo had already done this during daytime, which had a delayed effect till nighttime and caused the power failure”, said Bikker.

When they traced the cable during daytime, they found nothing out of the ordinary.  The only thing Aqualectra observed was that there are many more flamingoes in the saltpans, and that these have also moved some.  The cable in question goes partly over a dam that is currently submerged.  There was a power failure in the same districts a week earlier around 22:00.  At that time, the cable fell into the water of the saltpans.  The engineers had to use a boat to solve the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5362) on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 9:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'd be hard pressed to believe that unless their cables are held together by Scotch tape. A full growing Flamingo only weighs about 8 pounds - he'd have to be humming along at Mach Two in order to create that sort of damage :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (bcj.) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #150) on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Might be one of the new stealth flamingos that the Dutch army is prototyping. This would explain why the engineers couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, as well as the speed necessary to affect the cables.

I love news reporting like this. "This might have happened, but we don't really know for sure, so let's print it as news!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harrie Cox (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #211) on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow!

They have Flamingo Turbo GTS in Curacao!

Perhaps a new idea for DCA?

Harrie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1992) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Unless a flamingo shorted out two parallel wires-- a flying flamingo has the length to do that. There is at least one documented case of birds shorting out adjacent transmission lines in the States; read about it years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Baum (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2320) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 9:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

A little competition for Divi Divi Air?? ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tami Lamb (BonaireTalker - Post #48) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm telling you- my husband saw that huge 'flamingo person' flying first class out of Florida- probably a (gasp!) terrorist who dressed up, snuck down to Bonaire and sabotaged the power lines so that everyone would have to go elsewhere and leave the great diving and all to us!! (The stealth flamingos referenced earlier!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (bcj.) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #151) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The Flamingo Man Prophecies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin de Weger (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3856) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm, strange things happening on Curaçao... Maybe they had a testflight with the new stealth Flamingo schedueld in the WEB plant on Bonaire as well??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13152) on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You guys are cracking me up...Jake, your comment reminds me of the line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail..."how much does a swallow weigh"....maybe a flamingo carrying a coconut is the culprit...

Side note, since I've received my flamingo hat from Fredster...Dylon is REALLY interested in seeing the wild flamingos (really)...who cares about the fish or donkey's...take me to the flamingos...LOL!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration