BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Chamber of Commerce
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2004-07-01 to 2004-12-31: Chamber of Commerce
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (BonaireTalker - Post #50) on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 11:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I picked this up on the Rodale's board. Is it for real? http://dive.scubadiving.com/talk/read-search.php?f=1&i=999050&t=999050

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #2033) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 8:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can't find any news article to explain where the person starting the thread got the information. He never offered his source for info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #5259) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 9:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ron,

I've never seen it stated openly, but it's been known for years (even before I moved to Bonaire) that the only way someone new who wasn't an Antillean could open a dive shop would be to buy an existing business permit for one. This is nothing new (other than perhaps someone stating this in some sort of public media, but Linda says she can't find a source).

It should be noted that while in the U.S. anyone can get a corporation at the drop of a hat to do most anything legal, in Bonaire, as well as in most places in Europe, you actually need a permit to open a business. Part of the permitting process involves proving to the permitting authorities that you are capable of running the business in question, and your business typically has a very specific charter under which it operates.

In the Antilles, a further consideration to granting a business permit includes whether or not the permitting authorities think there are already enough businesses in the same field operating on the island, and whether a new foreigner-establish business would compete too much with a similar business already running and owned by an Antillean.

It's a very alien and protectionist system, at least from an American perspective. My Dutch friends don't find it that unusual.

The permitting authorities are DEZA - the Bonaire Department of Economic and Labor Affairs; the Chamber of Commerce (which is not like a U.S. Chamber - the Bonaire Kamer van Koophandel is a registration entity, and all active business must register with them and pay them a small annual fee, in exchange for which they have complete registration records for all businesses including information on what the legal charter (and limits to operation) is for each business); and the Bestuurscollege (the day-to-day administration which runs the island - consists of the Lt. Governor, the Island Secretary, and 3 Commissioners). Any of the three bodies can shoot down or indefinitely delay a permit, although as I understand it, the Bestuurscollege can override objects of the other two entities and still grant the permit. The current ruling party on the island, the UPB, is pro-business, and business licenses are more likely to be approved than they were with the previous party in power, at least from what I've heard.

Unless you're lucky or have somehow gotten someone to accelerate the process, the permit approval process runs about 4-6 months. As an example, Linda and I just got a second business permit ourselves so we could have a company which could get a credit card processing machine for the purchase of our art at the gallery we operate (the gallery itself is a non-profit entity and cannot accept any payment), and we applied for it in May, and it was approved in late September. You need a valid business license in order to open a bank account for a business here, get a phone line, and be able to accept credit cards, among other things.

Our first business license for our Web hosting and design business took 11 months and for that we had to also submit our C.V.'s, a business plan, and a letter explaining our background. Half-way through (6 months after application) the application got rejected because our business objectives were improperly translated from English to Dutch, and make it seem like we were going to be a computer sales & service business, and there were too many of those on the island at the time apparently (not that we wanted to do that sort of work at all!) - once we got that straightened out, it was a matter of another 5 months to get our business permit.

Sorry about being so long-winded, but this is, as I said, a very different approach to starting businesses than in the U.S. (I was explaining to local and Dutch friends about being able to call a place like The Company Corporation (www.incorporate.com) in the U.S., and having a company incorporated in less than a day (even less than an hour in some cases - they were in complete shock.)

In any event, DEZA has a Web site - for getting a business license, see http://www.bonaireeconomy.org/business_license.html

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #219) on Thursday, November 11, 2004 - 7:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The comments from the Chamber of Commerce (done by Aubrey Sealy) were published in several local news papers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1903) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte,

Can you tell us here (those of us who don't have access to the 'several local papers') what was said???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #220) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 8:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It was publishe on the 9th of November. I did not pay much attention to it 1) I think it is political motivated 2)I am not in the dive business and don't know enough about it 3) control of number of buisinesses of the same kind are as Jake explained normal on Bonaire
The president of the chamber of commerce refers to a 12 year old report (which in many ways is outdated) to say that there is not enough control on dive businesses. Dive tourism is the main pillar of the economy on Bonaire. To much money never comes to Bonaire as the hotels sell pre-paid packages uproad. There a too many new dive operations and too many tourists go night diving in town without a local guide and there are too many foreigners working in the dive shops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1904) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS, Bridgette.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1905) on Friday, November 12, 2004 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, TKS, Brigitte!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration