BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Free Sterlization Clinic for Pets going on now
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2004-07-01 to 2004-12-31: Free Sterlization Clinic for Pets going on now
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1547) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

GOOD WORK to Jurri and all at the Animal Shelter. This week and next is the free Pet Sterlization Clinic. If you know a neighbor or see a dog often around and it needs to be sterilized it's FREE. There are flyers ALL over the island or call the Shelter.

So many great programs on island..this is yet another one manned by MOSTLY volunteers. Thanks to the vets on island who came. I hope they find time to enjoy our little island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Pflanzer (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #125) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 5:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie

Do they do humans too? I have a few in mind....

:-) Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1548) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you read how I wrote my post (in haste) it sounds like I am suggesting the neighbors can be sterilized..haaa ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex & Susan Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #40) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone - we have to second Ann's post about how wonderful this program is (Alex and I are volunteering). It's going really well! With the exception of Jurrie (the manager) and one employee of the shelter, both of whom are working overtime these two weeks:-), it is being carried out entirely by volunteers. This includes the veterinarians, who come from Holland, Canada and the US. Hotel rooms & car rentals have been donated. The project is geared towards sterilizing street dogs who have no owners and dogs whose owners cannot afford it. We just want to emphasize that surgeries must be scheduled in advance, so people need to please call the shelter first if they have a dog in need of sterilization (717-4989).

The shelter can always use your donations; you can donate through Support Bonaire. Susan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #399) on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I remember correctly this is where the remainder of the Puerto Rico Bonaire Talk Fund was put to good use. (If I had known that I could send my neighbors, I'd have given more!! ;) ) A worthwhile endeavor, to be sure.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Eker (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 1:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

hunted around in my archives and found it, just GOTTA post it:

neuter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Eker (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 2:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Need I mention I'm one of the "weird friends and relatives"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bea and Marvin Jones (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And, for further information about the shelter, please see: http://www.bonaireanimalshelter.org/. We have a little further information about the sterilization project and some history and the Pet of the Week page.

I'm a volunteer too!!

Bea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dara Walter (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #631) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, Are you having your neighbors and their pets neutered :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1549) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Haa..Dara, you know I better not comment on it..I just hope the box of dead puppies that has been out front for 3 weeks is gone by the time I get back in Nov. EGADS...Yes, I called Selibon, yes I went to Selibon twice and yes, I went to the Dept. of Hygiene. And YES Jurri knows and has no jurisdiction. Thanks for listening to me vent..

:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jan Klos (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #264) on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 6:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What a great program. Having been involved in the town that I live, with getting the feral cat population under control.. ( trap, newter,spay& release)I can say that it really does work. I certainly know where I will spend my free time once we are on Bonaire for a few months at a time.
A great worthy cause

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Burnham (BonaireTalker - Post #29) on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 3:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let me add to Jurri's praise; One of the volunteer vets has done this kind of work all around the world. She told me that this spaying clinic on Bonaire is the best run she's ever seen.

Jurri also runs one of the best animal shelters anywhere. Its clean, spacious, and well managed in a humane and caring fashion.

As my bit, I'm making a video souvenir for the vets to take home with them. Here is a photo album with some snaps of the vets and volunteers involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex & Susan Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

And big thanks to Roger the Drink Man for keeping us all hydrated!!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration