BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Trade folk tales, fish tales, local legends for beer?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-06-30: Trade folk tales, fish tales, local legends for beer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave diluzio (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 9:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, everyone,

Now that I have your attention . . .

I'm actually somewhat serious. I'm about to make a second visit to the ABC islands and first visit to Bonaire. I like to share my travel experiences, and my inspiration is seated in and fleshed out by off-beat facts and tales. Hence, I'm appealing to the collective wisdom and experience of the board. Please pardon my multiple postings around the site- methinks you might forgive a fellow diver's enthusiasm.

In your visits to divers' paradise, have you found local sources of odd and interesting trivia? I'm looking for uniquely Bonairean life stories, local legends, fish tales, etc. Do you know someone who might want to share an interesting tale of the island's history and transformation, legends, or cultural narratives-perhaps over drinks or dinner?
Do you have suggestions regarding other local resources I should check out? How about the island library? I like to flesh out my work with local color, and I'm looking for information not likely to be immortalized in the standard tourism promotion.

Any information or advice you can offer would be much appreciated. If you're so inclined, please drop me a line here or at pglanvil@yahoo.com.

Thanks, everyone! I'll be surfacing for air in front of the Divi in early to mid March, and my trip report will surface in the wake of my most unwelcome return.

Cheers-
Priscilla

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie Hughes (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4502) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 9:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Captain Don!!!!! he can spin a yarn or two!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linnea Wijkhof-Wimberly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #621) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bas, who is a retired dive-master at Divi. Ask a current Divi dive master if he is available for a dinner.

Wild Side Larry is a hoot, he has not been on the island very long (a couple of years). But he knows everybody and everybody knows him. If you want to know what he looks like, check out the mural on the Cultimara supermarket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (bcj.) (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Somewhat related...does anybody know if Mani (sp?) is still around? He was on the island in the late 80's (don't think he was ever NOT on the island) and would always be around downtown Kralendijk on his bike. Nicest guy - would wave to everyone passing by, you'd see him picking up litter, hanging out on the street corner, riding around smiling. To me, he was a part of the atmosphere/culture in Kralendijk. Just curious if he's still around and if not, what happened to him. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #168) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 9:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

"Mani Frutipani" is still around, I see him almost every week--he decorates his bike according to the nearest holiday, and can dance balancing a beer (Heineken) on his forehead while having palm fronds hanging down from his belt. Is that the Mani you're thinking about? As for his story-telling ability, in English...doubtful.

Chris Morkos, who owns/operates Piscatur-a fishing charter boat, also has lots of great stories, and in perfect English-hire him, ask him to invite his buddy Larry (another great source, and a good story-teller) for a fishing trip, and you'll have a captive audience for 6 hours. With those two you almost don't mind not catching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave diluzio (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Splendid. Thanks, everyone, for your advice! Priscilla :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (bcj.) (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yup, that's the Mani I remember. Thanks Ruth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1666) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Captain Don does a standup at Habitat one night a week, not to be missed. And you can visit his horticultural kunuku to hear more stories as he gives you a tour; also a different side of 'tourist' Bonaire.

Bruce Bowker, the owner of Carib Inn, has been on the island many years and has stories when you can draw him out.

Another diver who was park manager in the olden days before it was formalized and required a degreed leader is a Winklaar whose first name I cannot now remember for the life of me-- I know someone here like Michael will supply it. He can talk about the reef and diving 'as it was'. Last I heard he was still involved in guiding with one of the dive ops.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration