BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Great attitudes make things work!
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-06-30: Great attitudes make things work!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Swa (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last weekend we were at Atlantis, to do some kitesurfing. Now, before everybody starts making protests: I know, I'm sorry, but we símply have no other way to go. (otherwise we get arrested!)
No, really, what I wanted to say: Sunday, there were a few divers like there are often, considering Atlantis is a nice shore-dive. They came up to us to suggest a way so we could kitesurf and they could dive at the same time, without being in each other's way. They pointed out where they would go in and said that before surfacing, they would send a warning, a'sausage'. It worked like a charm.
We were very happy with this, it shows that great attitudes like that can make things work.
Before this, me and some others could recognize at the surface if a diver was below (because we ourselves are divers or work in the dive-industry), so we could stay out of the way. If there would be other kiters, I would try to warn them, while kiting. Needless to say, the 'sausage' is a much better way!

Now, I know the controversy about us practicing this sport, but believe me, we had many, mány discussions with all kinds of parties to make it more structural. Unfortunately, it didn't really work so far. If you want more info on why exactly we have to be on southcoast, bothering divers, snorkelers, swimmers, offspreys, pelicans, flamingos, flying fish; feel free to email me, I have much info, too much to put here.

A big thanks out to the divers who made this suggestion and everybody that understands!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David F Pascoe (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 12:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is a part of any tech dive training, the deployment of a bag or marker for safety on surfacing. It obviates the need for floats when scootering and is a a major safety factor when decoing off deep offshore wrecks. We have used this extensively live boat diving on many live aboards. I am amazed how little this is used and how few divers are trained in its use. The Brits call it a LDSMB late deployment surface marker bouy. For Bonaire in its simplest form all it comprises a tube w 30' of line attached to the bottom (of the tube ;-))and can then be used all the way from the top of the wall to the beach.

For the uninitiated this does take some practice to avoid sudden rapid breaching ascents!! To see someone in mid water do this from 200' carrying 4 tanks and wearing a dry suit without significant effort or movement in the water brings true meaning to the concepts of dive skills and bouyancy control. To do it over a delicate reef at 30' requires a not disimilar level of excellence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #190) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 12:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I dove Atlantis last December. There were no kite-surfers there when we descended, but we saw the tell-tale swoosh on the surface as we ascended. My buddy stuck a very bright, very long fin in the air. The swoosh took off away from us, and we surfaced. The kite-surfer signalled he's stay away while we got ourselves out of the water. We had the definite feeling that they were being careful of us.
I have to add that, when we started to drive away, we managed to get our car stuck on a coral rock. The kite-surfers came to our rescue.
I hope we can reach some accord so we can co-exist peacefully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #240) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

SWA, we dove and shared Atlantis last week. I recognize no problem sharing Bonaire. Kite surfers have a much right to a portion of the beach as windsurfers or divers. The group sailing out of "Fisherman's Hut" were a pleasure to watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Swa (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 4:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks again!!

Unfortunately, this weekend the wind is going to be lousy. So I think we might pay Sorobon a visit.... to do a dive at the Blue hole.
Watersports paradise Bonaire

Have a good weekend!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration