BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Bonaire Talk Donkey Adoption
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-06-30: Bonaire Talk Donkey Adoption
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8272) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all, I know that the plight of the donkeys has been discussed in great length on several threads. I have thought about trying to raise funds from fellow Bonaire Talkers that want to help and maybe adopt a donkey or two. It appears that there is some land that has been purchased and they are trying to get a "Donkey Safari Park" going.

My proposal:

Raise funds from fellow Bonaire Talkers and then donate the amount to the Donkey Sanctuary and this new project. It would mean donating any amount you feel comfortable with.

Anyone interested? I'll start with the first fifty bucks:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #621) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 8:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde,

It sounds good, but how will it be coordinated? I'd be happy to throw in 50 bucks too - gotta help those equines! But where?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8277) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 9:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I could have everyone send me the money, and I will keep a tally posted on the site. Then when we get a good chunk of money, I can send it down with someone and then that BT Ambassador can go to the Sanctuary and give it to Mariana (sp) on our "behalf." Pictures would be necessary of course of the BT Ambassador, Mariana and the equines! What do you think?

(Message edited by cyndelee on August 22, 2003)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2760) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 6:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like a wonderful idea Cynde! I'll put in some money too. I will email you later!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #622) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds good - maybe we can get together enough to buy some of the land.

Could you email me with your snail-mail address?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 12:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi everyone! What a superb idea! Marina will be so thrilled. Since I assist Marina with the Donkeys Help Foundation, I can brief you on what money would be used for:

1. 220 hectares of land need to be purchased. (25 have already been purchased and need to be fenced so mothers and babies can be protected first).
2. All of the land needs to be fenced.
3. Two wells with mills need to be developed to provide water for the donkeys.
4. Shelters need to be built to shelter the donkeys from sun and rain.
5. Stables need to be extended.
6. Wild donkeys need to be caught, transported, and given medical examinations.

So, you can see there is quite a bit to be done. The most urgent need is to fence in the 25 hectares so babies and mothers will no longer have to be rescued and rehabililtated after injury or abuse (which is very labor intensive!)

I suggest you contact Marina at donkeyshelp@bonairelive.com to see the most efficient way to route the money. Just think if every Bonaire Talker gave $50 that would be quite a bit of money. Thanks so much from the donkeys and Donkeys Help and Marina--pauline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, Count me in. It a way it saddens me that they have to be fenced in. Part of the unique charm of Bon is the freely roaming donkeys, but I know it is for their safety and preservation. Last month we watched a good sized donkey race by us being chased by 2 big dogs. We just hope he got away.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8280) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pauline, thanks for the info. I will email Marina and find the best way to get the money to her. I still think that a BT Ambassador can deliver the cash or check and snap some pictures. If you are interested, please let me know on this thread and I will send you my mailing address via private email. Once I receive each donors money, I will post it here on a running tally sheet:-) Finally I feel like I can do something to help the donkeys:-):-):-)

Gail, Susan, Eileen, I'll email you my address:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #101) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 5:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde - Make checks out to you?

BTW - I am now "experienced"! It only took 3 years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8285) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 9:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Gail, yes, make the checks out to Cynde Lee. I will keep a tally here on the board (so you know I am honest:-)) and then I will just pool the money together and write a check or money order to Marina (or however she wants it!)

Oh, congratulations on the "Experienced:-)"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 10:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank You Animal Lovers for all the help you give our donkeys. I will be very happy , No more accidents with donkeys , No more motherless foals , No more abuse donkeys !
Only happy Donkeys in a semi free " Safari Park ". Because that is what I called this Park , there will be enough space for the donkeys.
If you need information about the USA tax ded. , please contakt Support Bonaire inc., I am sure they can help you furder with this matter.

Donkey Thanks
Marina Melis and 77 Donkeys ( 5999 5 607 607 )
there is a wrong phone number in the reporter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8288) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 10:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marina, I am so excited that we can help out and get you closer to your goal!

Ok gang, let's show those cute little Bonaire Donkey's what us BTalkers are made of!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #624) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Marina and Cynde,

The check is in the mail(box - it is Sunday after all...)

You should get my check around Wednesday I think. Come on BT, lets get Marina some hectares! (Any idea how those translate to acres?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #323) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 9:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde

Great idea, it will be easier for us to give the money directly to Marina as we will be Bonaire in exactly three weeks time.

Yippeeeeee!!!!

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2787) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'll send mine off Monday (need to buy US stamps)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cynde, An update from Marina on the land to be purchased: 26 hectares have been purchased; Marina and Ed (Donkeys Help) have decided 100 hectares should be an immediate goal (i.e. the size of 100 football fields!). They have the option to buy the next 80 hectares at a very good price from the owner in 18 months.

I will donate $500 directly to Marina but you can put me on your list as part of the Bonaire Talker group, which seems like a wonderful group of people with big hearts. Unfortunately I will not be in Bonaire until December 21 when I take possession of my new house located in Belnem!!! Whoopee! 5 minutes walk from Bachelor's Beach!!! fyi, I will be renting it out when I am not there (it has 4 bedrooms, a guest house, and 3 bathrooms)---Much thanks for all your help for the sweet donkeys of Bonaire--pauline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 8:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Donkey Friends , I am not able to be on the Bonaire Talk every day , but I hope you all excuse me for this , the donkeys take a lot time .

I hope that many donkey friends wil join you all , and iff I write words wrong also , sorry.
Many Donkey Thanks
Marina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2526) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marina, no need for apologies whatsoever. What you have been doing for the donkeys on Bonaire is heartwarming and admirable. We were so moved to see the improvements and additions to the sanctuary when Joe and I were there in June of this year. I only wish we could have adopted more than one donkey that day. We did adopt Able that afternoon. Joe and I would love to adopt another one within the next few months time as I know you put the funds to great use. Does some of the adoption money also go to the purchase of additional property or solely for the upkeep of the donkeys (i.e. food, medicines, etc)?

You are to be thanked and congratulated for your hard work and dedication to these wonderful animals of Bonaire. I do hope this board is able to raise lots of monies to assist in your purchasing additional land for their safety and home. Good luck and thank you again! Carole (Baker) Ward and Joe Ward; Morristown, New Jersey USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire diving is awesome but the Donkey's were truly a special treat. We stopped our car to take a picture and one walked right up to us. I got an awesome photo and had it blown up to poster size for my husband's Christmas present last year. It's my favorite picture. It hangs in our entrance way and we get a lot of comments. From one animal lover to another. Count me in. Thanks for doing that Cynde.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8342) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Lorraine, thanks! I have just sent you and email with my address!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cynde, Are there other ways on Bonaire Talk to publicize the campaign to raise money for the Donkey Safari Park besides this particular file? I am too much of a neophyte about this to know. How many Bonaire Talkers are there? And how can they all be informed about this? Is there anything more I can do? thanks, pauline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 5:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Cynde, and readers/Bonaire Talkers, animal lovers .
There are still persons who think that we are making money from or with the donkeys.
I want to clear this for ones and for all , please thinkers , come and work for a couple off weeks or months , so you can see for your self that this is a very very hard job , and that it is very differcult to keep everything on track week by week , Vet bills , food bills , maintenance and all other work that has to be done, during day and night baby donkey care or other injured donkey help !
So the persons who think so , please be invited !

This morning at 07.15 a lady from Flamingo communications called that there was a small baby alone in her street at Sabana ( in town )and it was injured on the head , Ed went there and found the baby donkey from about 4 weeks old , no mother in the whole area , indeed injured , he took it to our Sanctuary , we call the vet , he came and what I already saw that it whas bitten by a dog , so now we have another baby donkey in our baby penn , the 9e one who is motherless and need foalmilk and a long time care for , no problem for me , I do it with love , but it makes me sad that there are still persons who think that we are making money , instead off giving a helping hand with anything !
The baby donkey will named Jimmy , that is what the lady who called us would like , so this is donkey number 78 .
Have a nice weekend for all off you
donkey greetings
Marina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2540) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 7:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

God bless you, Marina. Just ignore the others who have no idea what they are talking about. Bless you and little Jimmy....#78! I will be in touch directly about adopting another donkey. We adopted Able in June of this year, but would love to help out again. The best of luck to you and those who help you at the sanctuary. Carole Baker and Joe Ward (New Jersey).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4478) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pauline,

This is the only place to do this sort of thing on/with BonaireTalk.

Jake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8393) on Monday, September 1, 2003 - 10:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, here is the tally so far:-) Thank you for those that have contributed to the BTalk Donkey Adoption. Please, anyone else interested in donating, send me a private email:-)

Gail Thomas: $50.00
Susan and Geoffrey Feldman: $50.00
Eileen Kimmett: $40.00 (Canadian)
Cynde Lee: $50.00

So we have $150.00 plus the $40.00 Canadian so far...keep the love coming gang!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1215) on Monday, September 1, 2003 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, thanks for coordinating this..another idea is adopting a donkey...also when folks leave the island can they bring their leftover veggies and whatever to the sanctuary?

Oct. pay day I will send along 50.00....it's from Maggie..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8395) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 10:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Annie! Depending on how much money we raise, and what we all decide, I would love to adopt a donkey, and it would be the BT donkey:-) We can post pics of him/her and fellow BTalkers can go visit in person when on the island:-)

Just so everyone knows, you don't have to give a certain amount of money. Anything will do:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8399) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the link to the donkey sanctuary for more information if you are not familiar with it.
http://www.bonairenature.com/donkey/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #307) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 10:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde - count me in - email me your address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #846) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 11:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, You are doing a great job with this! Can you please email me your address. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8400) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mary and Darlene, email on the way! Thanks:-) (Well, Marina and the donkeys thank you!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jake, Do you have any other ideas to publicize the urgent help the donkey sanctuary needs now to take in the mothers and baby donkeys who are being killed almost once a week? I am sure Marina would appreciate any ideas you have for getting the money for fencing. pauline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2898) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 8:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Whew! I am glad my mail came through Cynde! I was worried, you never know with our postal service sometimes. Thank-you again for the wonderful idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8416) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 10:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Eileen, no problem...I think the Canadian mail system is just grand...hey, the plant made it to the Icey Tundra!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3458) on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 6:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde..count us in...email me your address also....zee check is in zee mail! I also think it would be a good idea if (the people who want to) update their donation each year....maybe make a donation date?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2561) on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 8:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl....any carrots going into the envelope, too??? I'll never forget that night at Kon Tiki when Joe and I had our unexpected "guest" eating off our table! I love it. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2562) on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde Lee...put Joe and me in for $50. too. Could you send me your snail mail address, too?? Thanks! Carole

PS....Please send it to me using your Cyndediver@aol.com address, OK? I have my PC set up to "accept" only certain email addresses. I will program you "in" right now. LOL. (it blocks out 100% of the spam, for sure!). Thanks. cb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2563) on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 8:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's a pic of one of our many nightly visitors to our front door at the Divi....I do love to have them visit but this fella REALLY wanted to come inside! I managed to "dissuade" him and he moved on to greener pastures, literally! Maybe we can find him a permanent home with Marina soon? Ayo. Caroledonkey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8464) on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 10:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Meryl, great idea about the renewal date. I will put something together once we get the money for the donkey:-)

Email is on the way gals!

BT Donkey Ambassador (I have to give myself a title, LOL)
Cynde

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By melissa jacobs (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi!!!

In the beginning of this year I came to help Marina. I did a research of the behaviour of wild donkeys and donkeys in captivity. To let you all enjoy, I send the summary. To read the whole research you have to visit Marina and of course the donkeys!!

Melissa

Summary

Just as other animals who looks like horses, asses live original in herds. Within a herd exist clear family connections. The rules on which within a herd the social unities, as families, harems and groups of Jacks had been organized, differ however by kind till kind.

Donkey Sanctuary Bonaire is set up on 26 May 1993 by Foundation Donkey Help. The founder of that is Marina Melis. Foundation Donkey Help is a foundation with as objective: Strive to optimal health care and habitat of the asses truce in the largest sense of the word and well in it particular on Bonaire.

The asses form a sore valued tourist attraction and emphasize the rustic character of the island. Through the fact that asses are fed and photographed by tourists, arises the situation that in increasing extents the asses appear in the town center, direct along and on the roads. On average becomes it one ass per week run over and killed.

There is an ethological examine performed. This investigation has taken place on the “Donkey Sanctuary” in Bonaire. During it examine there are 4 asses 2 hour long per day round the minute observed, during 25 days per couple. In total there are 12.200 behaviors observed. There is payed attention to secretion and digestionbehavior, conflict-, social and order of ranking behavior; round these later on can compare.

There is examined if asses hold in the park, Donkey Sanctuary Bonaire, show other behavior according to donkeys who live free in nature. Hereby is payed attention to conflict, social and secretion and digestion behavior and other agonistical behavior. There are two definitions of a problem to in front come:
1. Show asses hold in captivity other behavior, payed attention to conflict, social and
secretion and digestion behavior, than asses who live free in nature.
2. Show asses hold in captivity through a disturbed natural proportion of group-
members (masculine, feminine and child), other agonistical behavior, than
asses who live free in nature.
These definitions of a problem brings the next hypotheses:
1. In captivity asses show more conflict behavior than asses in the wild.
2. In captivity asses show less social behavior.
3. In captivity asses show other secretion and digestion behavior.
4. In captivity asses show more agonistical behavior than asses in the wild.

Asses hold in captivity show no conflict behavior just as the asses who live free in nature. Asses hold in captivity show not less social behavior. This is with a security of 95% to say. With a security of 95% is to be said that asses hold in captivity show no other secretion and digestion behavior. With a security of 95% can be conclude that asses hold in captivity show more agonistical behavior than asses in the wild. From the investigation is appeared that the asses hold in both situations show no stereotypical behavior. In the park is driftwood used as enrichment . The asses gnaw on it to gather minerals and salt. This helps also against the boredom. Also is in the park so much possible bill hold with the natural biotope of the ass. Asses have also the occasion to get a moment on their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3459) on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 6:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Melissa (welcome!) good summary...but I can't get passed the asses....I would have to change the names to protect the innocents! I see them as Donkeys! so much cuter that way....No?

Carole...will never forget that evening....one of the first thing we purchase on the island is carrots...(and beer of course...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2570) on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 11:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Melissa, thank you so much for your study results...very interesting results. Please keep up the great work you all do at the Sanctuary. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By melissa jacobs (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 5:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there,

Thanks for your positive reaction. About the word asses, otherwise my report was only donkey, donkeys donkeys.
The report I'm sending monday to Marina. It's in Dutch, but I'm working on the English version. It will take a while, because I'm very busy at school.

Melissa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna M. Leiss (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Sunday, September 7, 2003 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Cynde:

Please send me your address so that I can send you a check. Thanks much.

Donna Leiss donnaleiss@cs.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mary Mueller (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #373) on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 10:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde -check is on the way!!! Let me know when you get it!!!

Thanks
mary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8508) on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 10:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fantastic Mary...at this rate we may be able to adopt 2 donkeys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2585) on Monday, September 8, 2003 - 9:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey there, Cynde LooLoo! The check is in the mail. YOu should have it by the end of this week. Thanks for "taking the donkey by the tail" and running with this crusade...it's a great one! I hope more BT'ers are able to paricipate...it really is a good cause. Thanks again, Cyn. Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Vleeming (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #225) on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is a nice thread to see. Is the plan to get all of the donkeys that are wild in the sanctuary? The reason I am asking is that I am a volenteer and foster parent for the Northern Alberta Society for Animal Protection (www.nasap.ca). We rescue dogs, cats, and pretty much any other animal. However, we are always fighting a losing battle in that there are always going to be more animals that need to be rescued than possibly can be. The reason for this, of course, is that not all pets are fixed, so you end up with 'accidental' breedings. Its a cycle that can only end with education, and responsible pet ownership. Now my point to all of this is that no matter how many donkeys are rescued they're still going to continue breeding - an endless cycle.

So how is this being addressed? At NASAP, for instance, we neuter or spay all of the animals we rescue. Are the donkey's going to be neutered or spayed? This sounds awefully cost prohibative to me - it costs ~$100 to spay/neuter a dog - a donkey has to be a lot more as anesthitic is not cheap. Somehow something has to be done to reduce, or at least stabolize the population - and not by having enough animals hit by vehicles, or killed by dogs.

Darryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pauline Kayes (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 3:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Darryl, Part of the plan for the Donkey Safari Park is neutering the males, and you're right it is not cheap as Marina neuters all the males that she now rescues. So donations also go to fund the vet bill for neutering. One of the reasons the donkey problem has increased is that the government on Bonaire ignored and would not fund neutering of the male donkeys (which for obvious reasons is less expensive than neutering females). Once more land is purchased and fenced in, mothers and babies can be brought in to the Safari Park and the population will stabilize with most of them hopefully moving into the Safari Park. If you are interested in helping further, please contact Marina Melis to get a copy of the plan for the Donkey Safari Park. pauline

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Vleeming (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #228) on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,
The only bad thing about having to neuter the males rather than spaying the females is that all you need is one male (one happy male at that :o) ). If I remember correctly, when I visited the donkey researve last year there were both females and males together - so I guess as long as all the males are neutered - no problem. If an un-neutered male should get in there - could have a few problems.

Well, at least things sound promising. We'll stop by and visit in Jan again when we're there.

Darryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8561) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey everybody! We now have enough to help one donkey! We have a little over $300.00!!! Keep the love coming! It would be great to get at least $600.00 so we can help out even more!

Here is a list of those who have donated so far. Remember, there is no minimum, just help out with what you can. If you are interested in the project, please send me a private email!

I think our Bonaire Talk Donkey will be really happy! If we can get the donations together by October, hopefully someone can take the money down with them, and get pictures with Marina and the donkeys! Thanks again for everyones wonderful support in adopting our donkey(s):-):-):-)

text/htmlBTalkDonkeyAdoption.txt
donkey.txt (1.4 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2986) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 6:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow!! Wonderful Cynde!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2595) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 8:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cyn...my "check is in the mail"....how often have we all wanted to say that, but it's true! Another $50. should be in your home mailbox any day now! Great work, everyone!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8575) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Carole...oh, and I believe you, really I do:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8636) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow gang! Carole and Lorraine, I received your checks. Carole, thank you for the nice note, and Lorraine, that card is absolutely adorable! I am scanning the donkey pic and going to post it:-) We have over $400.00 now!

text/htmldonkey.txt
donkey.txt (1.6 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8637) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 3:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have received a few emails from Marina, and she has a thousand thanks, and a thousand donkey hugs for all of you for helping out! Keep the love coming folks:-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2632) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hugs are accepted and welcomed! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8649) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 6:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the picture of the donkey Lorraine sent with her cute card. The card has 3 donkeys on the front and it said "Thank You"...Inside it said:

"Cynde, thank you for helping our four legged friends! From one of your sorry-ass friends...Lorraine"

Lorraine, hope you don't mind me sharing...it was so cute...is there a story about this donkey???
donkey.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2634) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 9:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awwwww....or should I say "hee haw...." Bad one, I know....slap me silly. Good work, Cynde Girl!! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 1:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, I don't mind at all that your shared my card, you made me blush. I had fun making it! Not much of a story on our adorable friend. I was so fascinated by these wild donkeys, I had my husband stop our car so I would take a photo and this fellow just walked right up to the car and stopped with perfect form. Of the 20 rolls of film I took (underwater too), the donkey was my favorite. I had it blown up to poster size and he hangs in my entrance way for visitors to see. I don't THINK he's the one who knocked over my garbage at 3:00am!! I love him, so this cause touched my heart. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3039) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 5:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The donkey is a cutie!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (BonaireTalker - Post #75) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe he can be our "Poster Child" or "Poster Donkey" or "Poster Asse" Now I'm getting carried away, oops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #175) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 1:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about a secure website to accept credit card donations??

It would be a quick and painless method for ANYONE who wanted to make a donation to this worthy endeavor.

Not everyone who might read these messages or see a posting elsewhere (like on scubadiving.com) may feel inclined to send checks in the mail to Cynde, or anyone else for that matter. But they might be ready to whip out the plastic at a secure site.

Just a thunk on a sunny Thursday here in the land of the bears (two legged kind).

Randy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8653) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 1:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Randy, that is a great idea, however, I have no idea how that is done! I know on D2D they had the paypal thing set up for Rob's daughter. Do you have any idea how it works?

OH, and are you saying you don't trust me?:-) Hey, I think if Jake and Linda are brave enough to have me housesit for them and watch their critters and equipment, that is a pretty good recommendation:-) I do understand however, that some folks may be hesitant to want to send money directly to me:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #176) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cynde.

I was able to donate to the Bonaire Youth Facility on line. Perhaps Marina can talk with them on a "joint" venture or at least access to their site?

And jeepers darlin', whisper in my ear and I'll follow you anywhere, AND pay for lunch! lol But if you post this request for $$$ outside the immediate Bonaire "family", it falls into the same category as that lady in Africa that wants me to send her money so I can then claim millions of dollars in her "secret" accounts. Sad to say, but scams gave all but destroyed trust out there, and at least a secure site offers some level of safety.

Hope they raise a ton of money for the critters, and for the teenagers too come to think of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8662) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Randy, trust me, I'm not a doctor:-) Do you have a link for the Bonaire Youth Facility website? I can check it out and then email Marina the information.

I agree, with all the scams that are out there, telemarketing and internet, the trust value has been lost:-) Although, I dont' think I would solicit this outside the BT Community:-)

(Message edited by cyndelee on September 18, 2003)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1477) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 4:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jong Bonaire has a 501c3 setup in the US for its charity. I would bet they can't funnel money to the Donkey Sanctuary without creating an accounting nightmare. http://www.jongbonaire.org is their website. I guess it can't hurt for you to ask. Maybe they would have suggestions on other means that they explored when they got setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #177) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 4:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Linda,
Thanks,

That's the site I was thinking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8667) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Linda, thanks. We can always ask Marina if she has thought of this option. Although, setting up a non profit does cost money too...in the meantime, keep the love coming:-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #178) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 4:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Cynde,

Marina wouldn't need to be a non-prof, she'd just be able to get info on how the secure site deal works. The tiniest outfits in the states conduct business that way on-line, so it is hopefully NOT a major nightmare on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy P (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #179) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Or...

If she starts up a free account with Paypal, (www.paypal.com) we could send her funds that way. Cash transfers and credit cards. They take a small fee from each transaction but it IS safe and secure. Most all the e-bay sales run through them.

Just a thunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello My Donkey Friends , we are a non profit org since 1993 , but to get the 501c3 status you need to have a board in the USA , people told me that and realy I don't know anything about it , isn't it possible to arrange things with Support Bonaire inc. ?? I will ask Jake and Linda ? But anyway donkey friends the BT are realy helping , thank you and a donkey hug
Marina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Starkweather (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

How about donating to the Maria Hopner (sorry for the spelling) The foster care system could use the help. I heard (correct me if I am wrong) that one of the houses had to be closed down due to lack of funds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 2:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Donkey Friends , Today it is sunday with rain rain rain , all the animals on Bonaire are HAPPY !

the message from mr,Tom Starkweather , das't belong in the donkey adoption BT , mr. Starkweather don't like our donkeys I think , mr. Tom , we from the donkey sanctuary are so so happy that Cynde start to help us with many others off the BT , Cynde knows why we fight for the donkeys already 10 years now ! Help Us to Help the Donkeys, there is people who help the animal shelter , the Maria Hopner , the Disable's and many other good courses and people who helps the donkeys !

Have a nice sunday furder !
Donkey hugs
Marina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2645) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're behind you, Marina. We know you need help and we are here for you. This thread has been dedicated to the donkeys and the help they need.

I'm glad the critters are enjoying the rains! The red sky last night at sunset should have been a clue to today's nice rains. I know how you folks need it badly down there. The skies still look ominous over Bonaire. Good fishing weather for the fishermen, tho.

Tom...maybe you can start a separate thread for the Maria Hopner organization?

We can all coexist on this board without any difficulties, without a doubt. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 5:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good sunday to you al my donkey friends , the week is almost over , and we lost 3 donkeys on traffic accidants , monday 2 on Statius van Eps , the road to Sorobon , in the morning and thuesday evening at Kaya International , the airport to town road, I hope this week on none accidants , this is to much .
A baby donkey was found by Christy Dovale on a road to kunuku's , very very small , only bones, but after 3 days of each 3 hours foalmilk in a baby bottle he is going to survive, so now we have 81 donkeys in care and we keep up our work .
The PayPal is not possible for us because it is Caribbean Bonaire Isle , so I hope that I find the time to visit Jake and Linda to see off they can help out
thank you BT a donkey hug
Marina
and for tomorrow a good new week !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8783) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Marina, thanks for the update. I'm sorry about the donkey's lost. That is fantastic news about the baby donkey! I hope someone that goes in October will visit you and take some pictures to post:-) That's too bad about PayPal. It might be easier to donate if folks could do it from their home if they don't visit too often. I need to go check my mailbox, I think there are a couple of checks in there for you:-) I'm still reaching for a $600.00 goal:-):-):-)

Donkey hugs,

Cynde

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #363) on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 4:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marina/Cynde

I am very sorry we did not find the donkey sanctuary until we returned the truck to the airport before flying home. I should have done my homework - doh 500 lines!

How best can we get some money to either of you from the UK - Visa - Amex - Maestro - Trav Chq, etc.?

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8832) on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 4:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Brian! Glad you are still thinking about it! I will email Marina and ask her if there is a way she can get the donation directly from you. If not, you may have to send me a traveler's check...or money order?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 6:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hellp BT donkey friends , every one can send chegues / travelers /personel chegues money orders to
Foundation Donkey Help
P.O.Box 331
Bonaire N.A.
Caribbean

We bring them to the bank to clear no problem !!

Thank you very much in name off the Donkeys
Marina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8835) on Wednesday, October 1, 2003 - 6:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marina, thanks for posting the information. I've never tried to mail anything to Bonaire:-) Your check will be hand carried by a fellow BTalker:-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4622) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On behalf of Support Bonaire, Inc., a U.S. IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity, I'm pleased to announce that we now have a program which allows U.S. tax payers to make donations to Support Bonaire, Inc. projects which in turn aid Bonaire non-profit efforts. Of the three initial efforts listed on our Web site (http://www.SupportBonaire.org), one of those is a Donkey Sanctuary Project, which benefits the Bonaire Donkey Sanctuary. See http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/11308/11309.html for more details.

Jake
President, Support Bonaire, Inc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9372) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, that is FANTASTIC! I know that Marina will be very happy (and the other organizations as well!).

You and Linda are the best!

Cynde

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2847) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 2:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great news, Jake! This is such a wonderful bunch of folks...a little nutty, but great! (self included) Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marina melis (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 8:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This is were I hope off , because I tought we are not going to make it at our own , we need all the SUPPORT off the Bonaire Island lovers , weither is it under water or above , we are very very pleased and God bless you all for helping us with the Donkeys , so hopefully in future , every islander who live on Bonaire is Happy that the Donkeys are in a preserve.
And SPECIAL THANKS TO JAKE AND LINDA !!
Thank you ,
Marina Melis and 89 donkeys
Donkey Help Foundation

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration