BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Golf course at Harbour Village?
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2003-05-01 to 2004-06-30: Golf course at Harbour Village?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Phelps (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ExtraBon has had several stories recently about Harbour Village's plans to develop a golf course on the salt flat across the road from the marina. Did I read that right?
Has anyone asked where they'd get the water to keep it green?
Or how they'd plan to keep the goats and burros out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Denton (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 8:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The golf course on Aruba uses recycled H2O from the hotel sewage system.With a sewage system in the works for the Bonaire water front that is probably where the H2O would come from.It is all years away.phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1141) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 11:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The whole golfcourse issue is, as we say, a storm in a glass of water. HV has had these plans for years and they've resently come under new management, but I've been ensured that this golf course is way down on the priority list. Nevertheless, they have been granted a lease on 60% of the Salina (although it doesn't really function as a salina anymore). The remaining 40%, according to the plans, should then be adapted to fullfill the salina function. According to the Reporter, they are looking into an evironmentally friendly way of constructing a course, but the price would be very high.
I think the management of HV is very aware that if they do anything that would damage the reef, they would be run off the island. And they too prosper by it, of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Phelps (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #155) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A tempest in a teapot.
What (or should I say who?) caused this issue to arise now? Was it simply a change in management, and the new managers talking about long-range plans?
(The cynic in me suspects every action to be political these days. I don't wish to start a political argument--you can just nod.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kitty @ CrystalVisions (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #257) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Holly, one word as the answer to your question: Politicians :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Phelps (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #156) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ahhhh ... I'm not a cynic, I'm a realist!
Thanks, Kitty.
See you in December!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bcj. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 1:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is Harbour Village the hotel with the canals across the street from the airport? If not, which one is that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sue (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 1:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

HV is down at the Marina

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kitty @ CrystalVisions (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #258) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bcj. that's the Plaza Resort. Harbour Village is past Kralendijk if you're standing at the airport.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bcj. (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah. Thanks. Last time I was on Bonaire, the Plaza resort was nothing more than some building shells and a playplace for us kids.

I find it humorous that someone would want to build a golf course across from the marina - I remember that spot for the flamingos that would congregate there and the water that would flood over the street into the marina.

Thanks for clarifying the spot for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech (Moderator - Post #1431) on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When it rains, the salina still floods and the flamingos come. And the road past the marina is still so low that it occasionally floods.

What this area does for the reef is catch the rain water running off the hills and slow it down so that the silt settles out before it hits the ocean. If they dredge it or fill it in, the silt will run directly into the ocean and kill the corals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2492) on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 3:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think there are enough golf courses elsewhere in the world...one is not needed/necessary/environmentally friendly for Bonaire. Too much at risk and stake. Just my opinion.....Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Davison (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tourist diversity ....

Wasn't this the idea behind the "Tennis complex" as well? Offer, SCUBA, windsurfing, tennis, golf and other activities ... therefore the more "tourista's" you can attract. I'd vote for some big game hunting myself.... nothing better to blast and barbecue an endangered species after a morning's dives!! Makes a great surface interval.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #104) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob, I am not sure flamingos and donkeys qualify as "big game"... however it is certainly more civilized than wind and kite surfing...hunting as Scuba were originally developed as "manly" sports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1198) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello C, What do you mean "more civilized than wind and kite surfing". It's a curious statement...

:-)

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #105) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Annie... using the wind as a motive source is just so "primitive"... like apnea diving ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt III (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #190) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 3:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think Donkeys qualify as "big game".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #106) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 3:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL...and certainly not an endangered species !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Starkweather (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 12:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There is to much wind for the average tourist to enjoy golf in Bonaire.. The course would be very expensive if they do it where it would be somewhat envirometally friendly. People bitch about a marine tag increase why would they expect people to spend 100+ per round of golf. If you want to golf on vacation go to Hawaii, Florida,South Carolina... Much much nicer enviroment to play golf at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1156) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bob, I vote that we start with the tourists... some of them are certainly big enough... [bfeg]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2510) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, folks can go elsewhere for golfing...Boniare is for water enjoyment and nature appreciation....IMHO. CArole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Dessau (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 9:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Golf on Bonaire. When will Tiger Woods visit?
Will they use donkeys to pull the golf carts?
What club do you use in a salt bunker. Maybe it is put put they have in mind, you know mini golf.
Who will design the course? Is Callaway behind this to increase equipment sales. I can just see the golf bags getting that gentle airport handling that scuba gear lends itself to.
Let there be golf. If nothing else it provides humor on this site for further discussion. From an investment perspective it might not be par and a flamingo is not an eagle. Brilliant is the sun and so is this scheme undoubtedly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1161) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Next stop: Underwater golf!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter (Moderator - Post #4460) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 9:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, I've been contemplating a combo golf/dive exercise - using my beach as a driving range, and then going scuba diving to retrieve the balls I hit...

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #117) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 9:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

From what I hear about your swing, you better include trekking into the combo exercise too (eheheh)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1468) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 9:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

No, he just doesn't have to go out into the deep water close to shore to retrieve balls, even there hitting down wind. :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #451) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just tie some monofiliment line around it, hit it and then reel it in...

Aquaman

ps
if you put a hook through it you may get dinner to boot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #122) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

IF he hits downwind we can pick up stray balls at Ole Blu...better use something other than white balls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1470) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 9:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If Jake hits up the prevailing wind from his beach, his family including animals will have to be inside the house!!!! Not a window will be safe! What I want is pictures of the divots and tees in the ground!!! :–)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration