BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Advice for someone curious on moving to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2001-03-08 to 2002-10-17: Advice for someone curious on moving to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Drake on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My fiance and I love Bonaire deeply, and have been seriously considering moving there and setting up a business.
I'm sure at least some people on this board have gone through this stage at one point, and if so, do you have any advice, info or recommendations?
Info like the requirements for citizenship, setting up shop there, finding a house, cost of living would be most apreciated!
It's still just past the whistful thinking stage, but maybe with some local knowhow I could make this a reality!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Step ONE Buy and read Heman Wouk's "Don't Stop the Carnival. Let us know if you like the book and can still smile when you are done...then it's on to step two...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 10:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We actually read Wouk's book after we moved here, but it didn't particularly change our view (although we can definitely draw some incredible parallels between the book and the reality of life on Bonaire) of wanting to continue living on Bonaire.

From a business perspective, do an exploratory trip to Bonaire to determine whether your business is one that's needed here, and isn't in competition with a locally run business either (as that makes it less likely you'll get approval - which takes 6-12 months for an N.V. - a local corporation). Anything related to helping improve tourism on Bonaire while keeping ecology in mind will likely get some positive attention, I would think, especially now that the Director of Marketing for the Tourism Corporation Bonaire, Burney El Hage, is slated to go back to his old job of running the government's department of economic affairs (DEZA is what it's called). DEZA is the place where business permits start their life (or at the notary's office, where they send the application to DEZA).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Drake on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 12:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm still looking for the book, Michael, it's out of print in Canada but I'm now trying to find it in the library system. Looks like there's two votes to read it, tho.

Thanks for the great advice, Jake. We've been to Bonaire enough times to know that the business is not there yet, and we personally feel it's needed (Heck, you can't spend ALL your time in the water). But we'll be back again for 2 weeks in the summer, so I'll make sure to scout out the area with a more professional eye.

I had gotten the impression that 'ecotourism' was the most encouraged business for forginers moving to the island. It's good to know someone interested in that might be reviewing the business application.

Personally, I don't think the book will change our minds either, as we're not exactly looking to move into some sunny beachside bungalo. The dream is to move to the rough coast, some where around the 'Bolivia' plantation (hence the username chosen!), at least, if that is possable.

Thanks for the info, and I'll DEFINATLY have to read that book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Baker on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got my copy from Amazon.com. You can link to it from this website. I think I paid about $10 USD

Barry Baker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Drake on Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 12:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't live in the US, and the exchange rate is poor, so I'm reluctant to buy the book if I can find it in a library. But it all else fails, I suppose... <:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 10:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did not reccomend that you read the book to disuade you from moving here. Most repeat visitors understand what the island is about or they would not be repeat visitors. The book paints a fairly general picture of what island life is for non vacationers. True, Bonaire has change a lot in the past fifteen years I have been here, but some things will always remain the same and for that I am grateful. Bonaire is its people and culture, something you can never experience by reading a book but I suggested Wouk's tome to put it into perspectivie. Living here and being on vacation are two different things and it is a good idea to be prepared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Drake on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 6:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh! Okay. I understand Bonaire has gotten a lot more traffic reciently, so I just guessed that you and other locals might not apreciate an influx of snowbirds comming down.
Still looking for the book...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not at all...as a matter of fact, there is a small exodus of expats and natives leaving for greaner pastures, as it were. All are welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 6:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Melissa. Can't promise I can come through, but at some point I had 'The' book. Will paw through a couple of crates and check the usual suspects that give my books legs....least I can do for a homey. I'll e-mail if I'm lucky. Did you try the used bookshops on Bayview and downtown?Kerri

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Drake on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 12:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael:
Good to hear!
BTW: What have you written?

Kerri:
Hah! A fellow Canuck, and local too :D
No, I hadn't yet. I haven't even been able to get to the library (University is an evil place), so I should probably get off MY butt and do a search before I make you get of yours, eh? Thanks a lot for the offer, tho. Everyone's so freindly on here.If I'm desperate, I'll let you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Melissa. I have edited a lot of stuff and write for a business magazine (droll stuff) that is published in Europe. I am workng on the definitive novel that will probably never be published....but what better place to be than in Bonaie when the rejection slips come in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed the book very much and love to share it with someone wanting to move to Bonaire, I read it when I was laid up here one winter, I gave mine to a friend.Parrelles, fun and sad too, and I know "permits" are the thing to get, so any advice from the locals would help greatly. Did you see the free publication "Residing on Bonaire", it's at the hotel lobbies and the TCB offices, I believe. Glad to hear you guys don't mind "snowbirds"!!That's in our plans!!
Cann't wait for the book Michael, wondered what kept your sanity over the years:))!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 10:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

so...who said I was sane? Actually, the island is a sort of asylum for stressed out, workaholic types who need a break. Remind me to show you the best spot on the island to meditate when you are here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 12:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, what's other people's best spot to meditate? Mine is on the hammock at Bonaire Town Homes. I can now tune out the island dogs and just hear the birds, and focus on the hummingbirds heading into the flowers! No traffic sounds, no stereo or radios -- just the natural world, and the sound of the hammock swinging! Ah, Heaven!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JERRY CAPPS on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 1:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, How do I stop each message to Bonaire Talk from appearing on my Outlook Email page? I realize I probably typed in yes, some place, when I should not.jcapps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Richter - NetTech on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 2:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Click on the User Profile button in the bottom menu. There are check boxes for receiving (or not) email versions of the messages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Melissa check your local library for the book - I am currently reading Trip to the Beach and have Don't Stop the Carnival on hold for me - both from the local library. I am really enjoying Trip to the Beach probably because I am familiar with Anguilla, St. Maarten and some of the characters involved - namely the Hodge's. We are godparents (honorary?) to one of the many children in the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 4:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

To Melissa. I have in front of me a copy of Don't Stop the Carnival that I would be willing to send to you. I saw it at a used book store and didn't dare say anyting until I had it in hand. No charge for the book just a promise to pass it on to another person.(preferably from this group) If you don't need it, I will send it to the next person that wants it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Currie on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I sat up last night and finished reading Trip to the Beach and anxiously await being notified by the library that Don't Stop the Carnival is in. I enjoyed Trip so much - it brought back fond memories of St.Maarten/Anguilla and not so fond thoughts of Luis which trashed our townhouse. If you haven't read it yet I would recommend it for pure enjoyment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Drake on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gail:

Oh no! Not another book I have to read! :)

Corney:

Thank you so much, but it does look like my library has it on loan, so I'm on the waiting list.

Lorraine: I've been looking up permits like crazy. It's amazing how many you need (just to stay extra time, even!)

Michael: Good luck with the novel! As a chronic artist, I do know what you mean about the island being a good place for the grand mal artistic expressions ;>. And heaven knows if I end up there, you can give me the grand relaxation tour, whenever you get around to it :>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 12:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You will be more than welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melissa Drake on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 5:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Final note, for now:
Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I'll be lurking around this board further to get a feel on how things are going on the island, but please, no more book advice, thank you :)! I'm fine regarding the book (both of them) and am in no real hurry to aquire them, but I am getting a lot of mail in that regard.
(PS: My fiance has teased that I only want to move to Bonaire to avoid the horrors of flying in and out. Another excellent reason! Woo hoo!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Meadows on Friday, April 6, 2001 - 6:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

107th reason to live on Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bilstein on Sunday, December 9, 2001 - 4:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does the govt put out something that explains all of the permits and photos and other documentation that you need to live on Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Sweeney on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 10:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know what the govt does, but you could try http://www.sunbelt.an/bon_licenses.htm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Porter on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 6:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you use Jake's search engine you can find most of the info right here on Bonaire Talk. Sunbelt is a good source but not as up to date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 12:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think Susan is referring to http://www.searchbonaire.com

Jake

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration