BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Local Items: Medical ?'s
Bonaire Talk: Local Items: Archives: Archives 2001- 2004: Archives - 2002-10-18 to 2003-04-30: Medical ?'s
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #966) on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 7:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am planning the move and have a few questions:

1. What insurance options are recommended or available? Harvard Pilgrim "ain't " covered there..LOL

2. Maggie needs braces soon..where and who and how??

Thanks..Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Wednesday, February 5, 2003 - 8:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Annie,
We got this reco from Jake.

International Medical Group

http://www.imglobal.com/

I've not yet checked them out...on my "to do" list, but Jake says they have had good luck with a couple of major medical issues.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #1596) on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 6:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie. Diana has the name of the othodontist in Boston that comes here every month to take care of all her patients on island. E mail her...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #969) on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 7:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, GET OUT..someone does that..HOW WAYYYYY cool and lucky for this MD. WOWSA..wonder if I can fly in once a month for therapy for anyone needing it??

HAAAAAAAAAA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kitty @ CrystalVisions (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #179) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ann,

I used to have braces during my teen years :-( My orthodontist on Curacao (yes, there is one - or two, there) had an American orthodontist visiting every month. He had about three to five Americans who came by every so often to check up on everyone's progress :-)
But I guess the visiting orthodontist from Boston is a good option for Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herma merx (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 9:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Ann,

I'm pretty sure you can get your daughters braces at one of our "local" dentists. Try Mimi van Egmond, located in one of the little shops near Harbour Village (7175965 or 7177223), or Eric Hagens in the Kaya Grandi, La Terraza (up the stairs and than to the left. 7178044). Remember our dentists can and will do more than an ordinary dentist, because they're on a island...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kitty @ CrystalVisions (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #181) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of Medical Care.... I would like to know people's experience with the GP's / 'huisartsen' on the island. I still have to choose one.
I've heard there are 2 Dutch male, 1 Dutch female and 1 Cuban male GP's. Is that right? Now, I am not sure who and how to pick one... Any suggestion is welome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #970) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I had a great experience with a dental emergency: someone here referred me to Dr. Chorino (sp?). He was great. 95,00 to put my cap back on. I will need an MD for Mags and I. Thankfully she and I are very healthy..knock wood..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By herma merx (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 12:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kitty, I know Dr. van der Vaart en Dr Schräder, so that would be the 2 Dutch male. I don't know about a Dutch female, but I'm sure the Cuban male is Dr. Castro from Rincon. Dr. van der Vaart en Dr. Schräder have their practice in the building opposite the hospital. In my opinion they're alle good. However, when we came down to Bonaire (3 1/2 years ago), we couldn't choose a doctor: Dr. van der Vaart was fully occupied, so we had to take Dr. Schräder who was new at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #762) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 1:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann, I'm so jealous. Your moving to Bonaire?Congradulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #973) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ida, it's positive affirmations..I hope to..am taking steps to prepare. Some folks say I will never get a job there...some say I can..I am TOTALLY optimistic.

:-)

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #102) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie, my friend, I am soooooo happy to hear that you and Maggie are getting closer --- especially today when you are getting slammed with a huge snowstorm on the Cape. More snow for you than those of us to the north! Are you heading back in April during school break? We are doing Feb this year as we have the chance for a free house in St John in April. Two weeks from tomorrow we will land in Bonaire!
Keep us all up to date on the move. That way we can all live out our dreams through you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #975) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Susan!!!!!!!!!!! The storm here is BRUTAL! But so lovely as well.

Have a super trip coming up. There is NO way I can justify a trip until April..that will be my next respite. Until then I plan and save and pay bills.

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1982) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 6:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We ended up with about 7-8 inches of the white stuff here in Northern NJ...it was lovely, but was horrific during rush hour this morning. They predicted 2 - 4 inches for us.....Carole

PS I have been hearing little birdies singing lately....Spring can't be far behind!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ruth van Tilburg (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 12:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We go to Dr. Lont up in Nord Salina. I like her a lot-her English is pretty good too. I think she's from Surinam originally.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration