BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Freighter in Lighthouse?
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Freighter in Lighthouse?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By luis figueroa (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 9:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

In Jerry Schnabel and Susl Swygerts' Diving and Snorkeling Guide to Bonaire, they mention the remains of a freighter that went aground there a few hundred yards to the east of the lighthouse. Anyone know of this wreck? I've never dove Southern sites as little voice in my head said no.. But curious if anyone has and has seen the remnants of wreck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4367) on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 10:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not much left..it used to be a great picture when it as partly on the beach. You shot through the window of the abandoned lighthouse keeper's house...great image..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By luis figueroa (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 10:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have you ventured to dive sites like Lightouse, Red Slave? You must get some cool palegics if look out to open ocean. I'm used to diving rough waters of new england and used to currents.. I would only dive those sites with someone that was experienced for first dive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Adams (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Luis,just did a dive at Red Slave yesterday. It was very calm with almost no current or surface wave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By luis figueroa (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 11:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dohh!! I was so tempted to do it.. Now another reason to go back. Wonder how much different from sites further north. (Salt City..)

It must drop off pretty quick?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6565) on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 12:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Luis, you that you are smart to be judicious about the south end, Lighthouse at least. It's a fabulous dive, but the entry is yards and yards or shin deep water interspersed with places where you can step into deeper or shallower water without seeing it coming....it doesn't take much wave action to create ankle twisting(or worse) conditions. We've only done it on the flattest of days, and there was still current.

I have gotten into Red Slave and others when there was almost no current, but more often, it's a consideration...we offered a ride to a guy walking back to his car in full dive gear: he claimed he meant to ride the current one way and walk back, but I don't think so...

That said, GOSH, I love Lighthouse! Yeah, keep going back until you get the perfect flat day when you can stroll in. It doesn't happen all that often...should guarantee you a few visits.

I add my usual disclaimer here...I'm just a tourist; I'm sure a local expert can offer you more advice....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scot Ward (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #272) on Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 10:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Luis, I have only been to Bonaire 4 times (a relative beginner) On our last trip (Oct 2010) there was a wind reversal and we did 2 dives by the light house they where very good dives! no Pelagics in the open however. We also did a few dives on the east side long swim out compared to the west side. I don't really know anything about the ship you asked about.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration