BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: 2011 Jellyfish Jamboree and BBBJ officially new species
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: 2011 Jellyfish Jamboree and BBBJ officially new species
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #423) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 6:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's official, after 10 years of research, the Bonaire Banded Box Jelly, is officially a new species, Tamoya ohboya. The Genus Tamoya had to be reorganized as well. The research was published in the Bible of Zoology, ZooTaxa.
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2011/f/zt02753p068.pdf
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/

BonaireTalk has been and is, a critical element in doing and communicating the sightings, research, and pictures about the BBBJ project.

This summer the 7th Annual Jellyfish Jamboree will take place on Bonaire in June and July. I will lead a team of Smithsonian scientists to expand our jelly and box jelly research off Bonaire. Along with Tamoya ohboya, last summer more new science was uncovered off Bonaire with the lunar reproductive cycle and the species Alatina alata. Unknown to scientists was that this is potentially a worldwide swarming species. On the 9th day after the full moon hundreds of swarming cubozoans emerged during the incoming tide. Zygotes from these jellies were grown in the CIEE lab. Genetic sequencing was done on the species that proved to be an interesting development as well. Collections are done under official permits from STINAPA and DROB.

Snorkelers and divers interested in participation in JJ this summer can use BT or just email me in FL.

Thanks for all the folks that participated in this research. Please continue to do so by documenting jelly and BBBJ sightings. Part of the project is documenting jelly stings (all species) as well.

In June, Dr. Allen Collins, Chief Cnidarian Officer from the Smithsonian will participate in the JJ and give a presentation open to the public. A series of Science Cafes, held in local establishments, will provide an open air forum to discuss current ocean and jelly research.

Bud Gillan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Miller (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 8:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Congratulations for all the work you, Dr. Collins, and the others did over the years.

We were very fortunate to have seen two BBBJ last summer. An incredible marine creature.

Russ and Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin J. Schulz (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 10:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great Report. I especially enjoyed the paragraph on how the Tamoya ohboya's name was chosen.

Source: Page 59 of the report:

“I bet "Oh Boy" is the first thing said when a biologist or layman encounters the Bonaire Banded Box Jellyfish.
It is not often that a new amazing species is discovered, especially one so beautiful. I am confident that Bud Gillan
exclaimed "Oh Boy" when he saw tourist Vicki Carr's video of the Bonaire Banded Box Jellyfish (a never before
seen species of jellyfish). Vicki probably exclaimed "Oh Boy" when Bud called her to tell her the news of her
amazing discovery. I am sure that "Oh Boy" was uttered by the three people who were stung by the Bonaire Banded
Box Jellyfish. In addition, I bet that "Oh Boy" was spoken by the doctors when they saw the wounds inflicted by
the nematocysts of the Bonaire Banded Box Jellyfish. Later, the doctors probably uttered "Oh Boy" when they
were confident that these 3 people would survive their encounter with the Bonaire Banded Box Jellyfish. And
finally, when I saw the website Year of Science: Species naming contest of the Bonaire Banded Box Jellyfish I
loudly exclaimed "Oh Boy"!! Therefore I am suggesting the scientific name Tamoya ohboya be given to this amazing
creature.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.A.... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #17241) on Tuesday, February 1, 2011 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Jellyman!! I was just thinking about you! We are in the early stages of planning our trip, I'll e-mail you when I get it all worked out. Hope your doing well and looking forward to seeing you this summer.

RosAnne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #426) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

2010 6th Annual Jellyfish Jamboree from last year

http://www.oldbonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/30/432653.html

Lots of interesting things happened at last year's Jelly Jam. Hope to continue it this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #427) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 1:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

2011 7th Annual Jellyfish Jamboree Update

Well, a lot is starting to gel (sorry) for this year's Jelly Jam. This year will expand to include a month of research and surveying the Bonaire waters for gelatinous lifeforms. Along with hunting for Tamoya ohboya (new species) sightings, we will include a team of scientists from the Smithsonian Institute (June 17-30) that are jelly experts in the Alatina Outreach. Alatina is the genus of cubozoan we documented last summer is reproductive swarms the shows up 8-10 after the full moon (June 24 is primetime).

JJ lasts for the month of June and will include public outreach events, diving, snorkeling, and working with the scientists. We will have events like Science Cafe's, presentations at CIEE, Bright Nights, and in water opportunities. There is no cost for participation in the expedition. A more detailed Jelly Jam schedule will be published in the next future.

It might be helpful to read last year's BT account as it will give you an idea of the sort of activities that we will be doing. Several people have already emailed me there interest in participation. Several snorkelers and divers are coming to Bonaire specifically on these dates because of their growing interest in the sea, these amazing animals (all Cnidarians) with polyp and medusa stages, their neighbors, and ecological importance.

Keep jelling,

Bud

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration