BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: On Island Now, March 21, 2011
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: On Island Now, March 21, 2011
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee (BonaireTalker - Post #79) on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 6:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is our first dive report. 3rd day here and the water temps are averaging 80 degrees F. A bit cooler than usual for Bonaire. But the seas have been flat and calm, no surge, no waves so far. We have dove the South, at The Lake and North at Ole Blue and Karpata. Spent one day doing our PADI Boat Diver Specialty Class with Dive-Friends. Dove the two boat dives over at Klein Bonaire. Excellent reef at dive site called "Monte's Divi". Very nice hard and soft coral with a nice variety of the usual fish for the area. "The Forest" dive site was unimpressive and dull compared to "Monte's Divi".
No waves at all washing over the cement at Karpata in the afternoon. No rain so far, mid 80's land temps,breezy, and no bugs whatsoever!!! But we are staying in a house away from the water so there may be bugs along the water at dusk and dawn. Vizability has been excellent, much better than our last dive trip here in Dec. 09.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna-aire (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 7:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm so jealous! Wish I was there!!! Have a great trip! Looking forward to more reports:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee (BonaireTalker - Post #81) on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 5:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Update: Today we dove the Hilma Hooker. The viz was nice and the usual extra large tarpon were there. The reef next to the wreck is full of fish and in pretty good shape. It's such an easy spot to see a wreck so close to shore. Then, we headed to one of our favorite sites down south, Margate Bay. Barely any waves and the parking area where you sometimes have to drive across water to get near the shore was completely dry. Low tides I guess lately. Easy entry and the fish at this site were amazing. Just millions of babies everywhere you looked, big schools of blue tang, a huge over, 6 foot long green moray eel was out free swimming and came right within 5 feet of us. Amazing site to see such a big creature swimming. Then we saw a nice red colored crab that was unusual. The soft coral at this site at about 30 to 40 feet is amazing. It's worth a 2nd dive for sure. Water temps today 79 at Hilma and 81 at Margate on my husband's Suunto computer. No rain yet and mid 80's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1626) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hilma is always a great dive. Will remain one of my fondest diving experiences forever!

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3490) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 1:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renee..You may want to try diving the Hooker from Angel City. I did that last week and it was an awesome dive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee (BonaireTalker - Post #84) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 4:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, isn't the entry at Angel City the one with smooth 12" boulders to contend with? I have it written in my log book that I didn't like the entry there. But that was 2 years ago so the shore may be different by now.

Today we dove Karpata and the shore was amazingly calm still. We swam with another free swimming green moray eel, another whopper about 8 ft long. I thought all the big moray eels died off a year or so go? If so, these must have survived since they were so huge they couldn't possibly have grown that much since the die-off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3493) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 7:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Renee.. Could have been. I do remember the entry was "a bit" problematic. I dove the site twice last week. Once was a swim to The Hooker & the other I went south and onto the 2nd reef offshore. A nice site which I prefer to The Hooker..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna-aire (BonaireTalker - Post #73) on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 7:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mosel (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've always found Angel City easier entry than the Hooker and a much better dive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 10:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

only 1 more week and we are THERE!!! Can't wait.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration