BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Current Bonaire Dive Report
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Current Bonaire Dive Report
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3482) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 8:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thought I'd make a brief posting on this having just spent some 3 weeks here. Unfortunately did not get in the amount of dives I would have liked to. First week was basically "all work" and second week majority of time was spent entertaining non diving guests.

My Oceanic Pro Plus continuously read 78 F degrees. From what I understand March is indeed the coldest month for water temps. 3 mil suits plus hood was mandatory equipment.
Viz averaged between 60-85 feet on lee side to 100 foot plus over at Klein.

I am pleased to report I've seen much more grouper than on previous trips. Thanks to all who have eschewed ordering this endangered species at any restaurants on the island and PLEASE CONTINUE TO DO SO. In fact thankfully I haven't even seen it being offered this trip. Perhaps they're getting the message?

Regarding the lion fish situation, not as bad as I initially anticipated. Diving the southern lee side sites, I saw few of them & generally they were of a small size. The only place where I saw larger ones (yes suitable for eating) was at "Hands Off" @ Klein. They were located at 80 feet.
Note to divemasters..There's a nice meal waiting for you out there! Go get'em!

Regretfully due to other priorities, I never made it over to STINAPA to harvest some of my own but plan to do so next trip.

Made a pre dawn dive in front of Bellevue this morning to say good bye to all my friends. Last day of our trip to be spent at Cai just flaking out! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neptune Nick (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 9:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the report Vince.

Are any of the restaurants offering Lion fish yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #109) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:28 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

While I hope it would be a menu item, it takes too darn many to make a decent meal. A full dive might get you 5-6 edible size fish so the cost for restaurants might be prohibitively expensive. I suppose if you get divers or shops donating the fish, it might work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #512) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Vince - we noticed many more grouper in January, too (in the water...not on restaurant menus :) ). Nice to see.

I guess the *downside* to property ownership on the island is that maintenance sometimes gets in the way of diving. I'll still make that sacrifice!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3282) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince,

TKS for the words on Lf and Grouper. How is the rest of the population doing???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bart Snelder (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #126) on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

@ Glenn do you mean the fish or those who smell like 'em :-) I am doing just fine thank you :-) Hey Vince don't you agree that the past couple of weeks Bonaire has shown itself from its most wonderful side? Great climate, fantastic sea conditions including superviz? Awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3283) on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 4:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Curiouser and curiouser!!! I have comments about the reef fish population from recent visitors to Bonaire but no one on island will comment.

Must be that everything but Lf are gone and the reefs are bare. Too bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3483) on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Glen..Just got a chance to check back on this thread. Rest assured the reef & fish population on Bonaire's reefs are far "from bare". Corals were in good shape with the cooler prevailing temps and there were schools & schools of the usual reef denizens to be seen at all the spots I dove. Admittedly just dove the south sites & Klein, since I never got a chance to dive up north.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3284) on Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 1:20 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

TKS, Vince. Good to hear the sky hasn't fallen yet.
Likely it won't soon.

(Message edited by glenr on March 20, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renee (BonaireTalker - Post #80) on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 6:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, My Oceanic Pro Plus dive computer has been showing the water temps to be 74 or 75 degrees. I have been comparing temps with my husband who dives with a Suunto and his temps are 80 to 81, so I reported those temps on my post above. I always show cooler temps on my Oceanic compared to any other brand of dive computer for some reason. I have been diving with a 5mm full suit and beanie and am perfectly comfortable, except for that extra weigh in the bc pockets that are not that fun!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration