BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Fishing
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Fishing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gabriela arias (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 9:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi friends!!!!
I hope to visit Bonaire next April, the question is: a friend of mine wants to fish with harpoon by himself ??????. we're going to dive. Is he allow to fish by himself ? May he cath the lionfish and eat them?. He saw a video about it.
HE asked me to ask you it.
Gabriela

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1274) on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 9:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

ummmm, seriously? NO

so, authorized qualified persons using a small spearfishing rig now leads to visiting vacation divers with harpoons? lol

sorry, couldn't resist...oye

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gabriela arias (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 9:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi !!!
it was only a question!!!!
don't worry.
He red about fishing in Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #138) on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 11:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I thought there were offshore or deeper water charters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gabriela arias (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 7:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thanks Tom!!!
I 'll tell him this.He's asks if he may fish the lionfish by his own. He read that people catch this fish and eat because of the danger for the reef that this fish causes.He don't want to fish another fishes only the lionfish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #868) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

He may not spear lionfish without special training and certification, and even then he may not do it alone. He should forget lionfish fishing, or any kind of spear fishing. And he should not bring a spear to the island, it will be taken from him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gabriela arias (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:58 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

thank you very much !!!!!
you are right!!!
I'll tell him.
thanks for the information

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #670) on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If lionfish spearing was not illegal, I'd like to try this AcuSpear gizmo on them:
http://www.acuspear.com/videos
It's only $50, way cheaper than the ELF.
You'd still need other equipment to deal with the speared fish.
On a typical dive in CUR last week, I'd see half a dozen of them and I would've liked to have gotten most of them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration