BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: What to wear diving?
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: What to wear diving?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Saturno (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all. I'm new to BT and will be making my first trip to Bonaire in mid May.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but I'm also new to searching this site and can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I own a 2 mil shorty and a 5 mil full neoprene suit. I'm told the 2 mil shorty is warm enough but won't give me enough protection. On the other hand, I'm told the 5 mil full suit will give me the protection, but it will be too heavy.

I expect to make 2 boat dives in the morning, 2 shore dives in the afternoon and 1 night dive daily for 6 days.

I will buy my own suit.

My question is: should I buy a skin and wear my shorty over it or should I buy a 3/2 full neoprene suit....or something else?

Thanks in advance and I can't wait to dive in Bonaire!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #667) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 11:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm just back from Curacao, next door to Bonaire, and wore a 3mm full suit all last week in 81 deg ocean, 3 dives a day.
Plus I tried wearing a beanie at times to be warmer but got annoyed when air would get into it from my reg exhaust.
It should be a tad warmer in 8 weeks, so a 3mm full suit would be just perfect for my own metabolism, if I were there.

On my upcoming Halloween BON trip, water should be significantly warmer and I'll just wear my dive skin, same as previous years.

PS: you may find that you don't "need" so many boat dives, perhaps cut back to boats only on even numbered days...

(Message edited by tschamp on March 16, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1617) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 11:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Louis,

Of course much of this falls under personal preference based on your own tolerance for water temps. I have moderate cold tolerance but I'm pretty skinny so I won't say I like cold water. My wife hates being cold. So I can give you a bit of a range. Our trip to Bonaire was in December and the water temps were in the 80-82 degree range.

First thing is that I would definitely recommend a full skin, regardless of what type of thermal protection you wear. We never encountered any stingy things but plenty of people do and there are some locations that have fire coral and other items that can damage your skin.

I wore a 3mm shorty on every dive over a skin and I was very comfortable on all dives. Most dives were 60 - 80 fsw, but a few went as deep as 100 fsw. We typically dove 3 times a day with a few night dives.

My wife wore a full 3mm wetsuit and she was very comfortable. My two sons who have like no body fat wore just skins and had no problems with the temperatures.

So if you are somewhat cold tolerant, I'm thinking a 2mm shorty over a skin is going to be just fine. With up to 5 dives a day including a night dive though, I don't think you could go wrong with a 5mm suit. You might get a little warm getting in and out but I doubt if you'll overheat in the water (unless you're a speed diver.)

My final editorial comment. Unless there is something specific you are wanting to see, like Klein Bonaire, I just don't see the up side to boat dives on Bonaire. Almost everything is accessible by shore and the convenience just makes it very difficult to find any pros associated with the hassles of boat dives. (I guess if you don't have a buddy in the morning, that might be a reason but lots of people find buddies by posting here on BT.)

All just my opinions. Hope that helps.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15689) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

all depends on your body Louis... after that many dives a day by the end of the week you WILL be cold.... But if you are hot blooded like alot of the men here on the board a skin and shorty should do it and probably a beanie towards the end of the week..... personally I would take the 5 and unzip it a bit in the back or front to let the water in to cool you but then zip it up especially on night dives after it is just so much a personal thing.. I know people that only dive in t shirts and trunks.. as long as you stay off the reef you won't get stung by fire coral... maybe start the week like that or with just a skin on and then put the 5 mil on the latter part of the week to keep your core warm.... I dive with a skin and a 3 mil.. but I only do max 3 dives a day and only very occasionally a night dive and that dive would be part of the three. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #528) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Louis -- welcome to BT. The answer to your question will vary greatly depending on who's answering and their personal preference. It really depends on your personal tolerance for water temperature.

When we are in Bonaire, usually in the fall, I wear a bathing suit & rashguard while diving, but my wife wears a 5mm full suit ... and we're both happy.

Unless you get cold easily, I would think that the shorty would be fine. As for protection, again I dive in a bathing suit, so take from that what you will.

If you get a 3mm or 3/2mm full suit, you will probably be just perfect.

Have a great trip and enjoy this special place !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1618) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 11:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Agree with Freddie on all but the fire coral. Now I never got into it but there are some spots during the entry and exit that, if the surf is up, you could get knocked down and accidentally get scraped across the fire coral.

Completely agree with here on fire coral while diving. If you're having a problem with it while diving, you should go back to school. ;)

It's not abundant but it is there and I wore a skin on all dives cuz I just don't want to deal with it.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Louis Saturno (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 12:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all for the quick replies.

I'm pretty cold tolerant. I live and dive regularly along the (US)Jersey Coast. I admit, mostly with my drysuit, but late in the season, when the waters 'warm' to the mid 60's F, I'll wear my 5 mil with heavy gloves and a hood and I'm just fine.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the 3/2 mm full suit and maybe I'll bring along the shorty for the afternoon dives. I'm also trying to minimize my packing, so leaving the 5mm home save a lot of room.

btw...I'm going with a group and the boat dives are included in the package.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1619) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 12:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ya, almost any dive package you get has boat dives included. That's standard. What we're trying to say is that even if you "waste" the money you spent on the package that might be put towards the boat dives by shore diving instead, you will get so much more enjoyment out of shore diving, it will be worth it.

There is just nothing better than the freedom shore diving offers. You set your own rules, you set your own pace, you go where you want to go, etc.

Try both. My bet is that by day 2 or 3 the boat dives will be a distant memory. Or not, whatever brings you the most happiness on Bonaire is the right way to do it!

Wish I were going with you!

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Workman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #266) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 1:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Louis, We'll be there im May again this year. Water is usually in the 80-82 degree range, but have seen it as low as 78. Not that it's cold, but multiple dives do seem to wear down your cold resistance.

We'll be in the timeshares at Divi, usually by the pool for happy hour :) That's where I first met Tribs :) Stop by!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Little Bus...Dianna Rides the Little Bus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #543) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Louis, hubbie & I got married there last May/June, we live & dive up here on Vancouver Island, although it was hot & humid while we were there I did really appreciate having my 3/2mm with me every once in a while.. Morning I'd usually just wear a rashie & board shorts - but by dive 2 or definitely by 3, and our night dives I was needing the suit.. The boats can be breezy too,, the wind is always "ablowin!"
As far as protection (and how stupid I was) I had never felt fire coral as we try super hard not to touch the reef - however - if while goofing off you decide to swim thru the buoyancy squares off buddy dive (not the ones outfront BOA - they clean those) keep in mine they are covered in fire coral - i do a modified frog kick and caught both calves - HOLY CRAP THAT STUFF BURNS!! My bad - at least it wasnt the reef..

Personally I'd leave the 5 at home & ifyou find you really chilly you could pick up a vest down there - but I doubt you'd need it.. We found prices to be pretty comparable..

We're heading back mid April - Cant wait! Have a great trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Little Bus...Dianna Rides the Little Bus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #544) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 1:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Judy my bro just bought a timeshare at Divi! I hear they are nice (plus taco tuesdays at the rest.) But I think they're on the same schedule as us - heading back May 1..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Workman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #267) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dianna, We love the new improvements there and we'll be coming in May 7th. Taco Tuesdays are really good; lots of good food for a very reasonable price. I hear the spaghetti night is good too, but we can't seem to migrate away from Donna & Giorgio's for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RObert Carter (BonaireTalker - Post #59) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Louis,
I have only dived in Bonaire in December and I feel that my full 3mm is warm if not almost to warm for me. I did one dive with just a tshirt and shorts and it was a tad chilly down deeper than 60 feet for me.
Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BEM (BonaireTalker - Post #81) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've been diving for the last 2 1/2 weeks and the temps have been around 78 - 80 degrees.

But be aware that there are more jellyfish than normal. A long-time Bonarian diver told us that the winds are coming from the "wrong" direction and this has resulted in the jellies on the west cost.

I've been stung quite a few times and once the tentacles wrapped around my face and that was not fun. Had to take a fin off and push them away.. Since the water has been been churned up lately, it's difficult to see them near the shoreline.

I'm using a 3/2 full wetsuit and tropic hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Little Bus...Dianna Rides the Little Bus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #546) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great Judy (sorry y'all - i'mm trying not to hijack the thread) I'm sure Dean & Jane will love it there - we will have to try Donna & Giorgios! After 3 months without carbs LOOKOUT!! ITS PASTA NIGHT!

jellies - ick & ouch

I agree with Robert,,, but i think your 3mm is a shortie? I think you will overheat with the 5. If you have an insulated rashie (the fuzzie on the inside kinds - I'd just wear that on your deep & night ones with your 2- I dont wear a hood - sometimes a doo rag to keep my "coif" purdy!!haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #204) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Louis, my wife and I were in Bonaire in November and we both wore skins. Just for sun protection, accidental scrapes, and weight. We even dove occasionally in t-shirts and shorts. For 12 days we did 5 dives a day and had no problems with getting cold. I strongly recomend full coverage just because we did have a couple days of surge and we did get beat up a little getting out of the water. A shorty would have left us scraped up pretty bad. My 2cents

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10192) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 8:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Tribs here (aka the woman deathly allergic to jellies :) ).

I dive in May on Bonaire and use a 3mm. Here is my logic....

1st, I'm a dive-aholic, so I dive 4-5 times per day. I need the full suit, 3mm for warmth.

2nd, the 3mm holds up to jellies, whereas skins only hold up to the small stuff.

3rd, if you do any shore diving, you want to be covered. Nothing like a hole or a rogue wave to knock you down. You get to laugh about it if you don't get hurt. You don't tend to laugh if you do get hurt. My rule, if you fall, you have to laugh at yourself. :)

Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iTimmmy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7624) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shirt skin and swim suit or full skin - can't ever remember being cold. My trips have been in Jan. and Sept. and Sept.

Welcome to BT Louis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #867) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 9:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I don't see the point of a shorty unless you are trying to obtain a really strange suntan...

Full-body protection, that is the key....for rocks, fire coral, jellies. Whether it is from a skin, a half-mm, or a 3 or a 5mm, so long as it is full body.

I always have people on my trips that will ONLY do boat dives....they find them less tiring, and/or they have big cameras and find it safer for the camera, because there is no risk of falling on entry or exit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Little Bus...Dianna Rides the Little Bus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #547) on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 10:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

thats so funny - my brother is under water so much that on the last 2 days he's always trying to get ANY colour...We arent as hard core as he is - 3 tops, plus theres stuff we want to see this time we didnt try last...

Louis - they are right that the protection can be important - the island is mostly limestone - on some of the exits (by the lighthouse I remember specifically) it can be wavey & there are "holes" - if you wipe out on it you will get sliced up -I turfed an ankle but saved my skin..(literally).. you probably know there is little "beach" so most of the sites are covered in shell & coral etc..A firm soled boot ... sorry... off topic..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4893) on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 3:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We always use a 3mm full wet suit, March was colder and with a beanie hat just enough. People were in shorties but only spent 30 mins underwater. By May the water will be warmer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy - 'Rayman' (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4043) on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 7:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just happened across this one on E-bay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160559216667#description

Click on the link above or Go on ebay.co.uk and search for item number 160559216667, read the entire description. Don't give up.... keep reading.Don't forget to read the questions at the bottom too..4 pages...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Becker (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rayman: I just about split a gut reading the ebay listing. Extremely funny... I even signed up at the new website: http://www.bearsdontwearwetsuits.com/

Just passing time... my plane boards in 6 hours and unfortunately I am so organized that I am bored...

Bonaire bound today,
Bryan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration