BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Open water cert. recommendations
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Open water cert. recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amanda Bjorklund (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 12:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am taking the online PADI open water course and will take the diving portion on Bonaire. Does anyone have a recommendation of a dive operator I should use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 12:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My recommendation is WannaDive. I have watched them with students, and am quite impressed (I'm a divemaster myself). That said, they are the only dive op I have any experience with, and I'm sure there are others who are good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Checchio (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 12:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just received my open water in November at Dive Friends they were recommended to me and I was really happy with their operation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Kelly (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 2:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try VIP Diving. They are fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #862) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amanda, you probably should have asked whom to avoid! Hang in here for all the answers, and it will ultimately just read like a list of all the dive shops and instructors. Suggestion: pick a logistically convenient place, and then "interview" the instructor. If that person's style/attitude/chemistry doesn't work for you, find someone else. they are all "good," but you need to find someone who works well for you, not for someone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amanda Bjorklund (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 2:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Mel for the thoughtful advice. I've checked out several websites and some want to schedule instructions in advance. I may have to make a tentative arrangement and then follow up when I arrive on March 12th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom M. (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 3:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Talk to Annie and Travis at BDA. They certified us when the worked up here in Vancouver - and they rock!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Gallagher (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 8:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are going to Bonaire for the first time on the 12th also. Perhaps we are even on the same Delta flight.

I have no experience with any of the shops there, but I agree with Mel. You need to evaluate each of them and see who is best for you. Although there are many who are excellent instructors, we all learn differently. As a result we do poorly with an excellent instructor that someone else does very well. That is why they still make vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

When we wanted to get our certification in the Virgin Islands, we found that all the shops received great praise and terrible complaints. WE had to make a selection based on what we were told, and thankfully we chose well.

Good luck and we'll see you in the boarding lounge in Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeanine (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #10170) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 8:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My suggestion would be Carib Inn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4883) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 4:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would look to use the facilities were you are staying or someone close to you, just for convenience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amanda Bjorklund (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 8:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I can't wait to learn and enjoy the underwater beauty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 8:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's the BEST feeling on earth!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6676) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 9:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I got to watch first hand a new diver doing his pool work last week in Bonaire at Belmar. The instructor was Chrissy, and she was AWESOME. I also highly recommend anyone at the VIP Diving shop. You can't go wrong with anyone there! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #218) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 6:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

have heard great things about crissy,carib inn is great--think very highly of gary, bart at wannadive is also great, vip divers and bas are top notch, Al at black durgon is another great choice but he's ssi. i am sure there are plenty more---to me its more about where you want to stay--dive instructors so many good choices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1034) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 11:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gary from Carib went home to Colorado. Linda is doing the certs now and she is awesome. You would do well with her patient approach and thoroughness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amanda Bjorklund (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 11:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all for your comments and for taking the time to respond. I know this is going to be a fun sport with lots of great people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #219) on Wednesday, March 9, 2011 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Marge
yes Linda is awesome too, very knowledgeable. gary will be back? Am guessing he goes back to CO every spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neptune Nick (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Amanda-
Toucan Divers at The Plaza Resort has a great time of instructors.

Carolyn and George come to mind. Alex is the shop manager.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration