BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Beginner
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Beginner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Checchio (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 9:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I purchased a home in Bonaire about two and half years ago so I frequent the island quite often and now I have been bitten by the Dive Bug, I received my certification in November, I just think it is so amazing, Diving to me was an unbelievable experience it is breathtaking, I always snorkeled and I finally received my certification and I am returning to Bonaire to Dive on March 27th. I did dive a couple of shore dives in Bonaire in November. So my question is should I hire someone to take me diving or should I go on the boat dives? I was a little weary of boat diving after reading one of these posts. But since I am a beginner maybe it would be better to hire someone and get some one on one for some experience. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DIVER DEBBI (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #684) on Friday, March 4, 2011 - 11:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rose...welcome to the world of diving...how exciting you will be able to spend so much time in one of the best and easiest dive destinations in the world...I would try both boat and shore diving...I bet Bas would be a great shore dive guide ..I know when I was a beginning diver, the boat dives with guide helped me alot with boyancy and navagation...just to watch how other people dive and learn from example ...dive safe ! I will be on the island untill March 23..sorry to miss you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Kelly (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I second Bas at VIP Diving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 6:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think you should take an advanced course it will get you in the water with a Instructor and improve your skills while having an outstanding guide

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #198) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 12:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dennis that is ok as long as you have 20 LOGGED DIVES. That I believe that is the PADI minimum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Checchio (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I contacted Bas and he's working on a schedule for me. I think for me since I'm a beginner, safety and being with someone that is experienced is so important to me. I can learn from them and I will also feel safe. I would like to take navigation and yes eventually go for my advanced once, I feel comfortable and have more confidence. Thanks Again:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #863) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 3:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

PADI does not have a minimum number of dives to take AOW. "Advanced" Open Water does not mean you have to be "advanced" to take the class, nor that you will be "advanced" once you finish with the class. It just means advanced beyond Open Water. It is a good thing to do early in one's diving career, rather than later, because it introduces some useful skills and provides some insights about things to do other than just swim around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #511) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 6:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Rose, you will really enjoy diving with VIP Diving. Bas and the rest of the crew are top notch. Enjoy your time diving with them all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #512) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 6:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nestor -- 20 no longer a requirement. In fact, you can start advanced immediately following OW (same day, in fact). What Mel states above is spot on. I strongly recommend the Peak Perf Buoyancy dive to all my AOW students, as buoyancy seems to be the biggest challenge for most new divers (and it makes doing the Nav dive soooooo much easier).

Rose -- Carole & Debbi gave you great advice. Although my wife and I are both instructors with a fair bit fo experience, we are also diving with both Bas Noij and Bas Tol when we make our next visit. They are "the guys" and we are always learning and getting new experiences.

Congratulations on your OW certification and welcome to the world of scuba diving !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #199) on Sunday, March 6, 2011 - 9:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

KOB, I agree with a peak performance buoyancy course for new students. Mastering buoyancy takes more than 4 dives and I have seen students who are very comfortable in the water and still using their arms instead of staying streamlined. I made sure that I was totally comfortable with my buoyancy control before I moved on to advanced certification. Congratulations also Rose. May your dive experiences continue to get better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom M. (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 12:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To weigh in on the advanced course, as already stated it sure doesn't make you advanced. We took it pretty well right away with the idea of getting more experience with a guide and a mentor (as opposed to any idea that we would end up advanced), which it looks like you are after.

I would definitely recommend going this route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burt F. Witlin (BonaireTalker - Post #33) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I definitely support a navigation course. It is an essential skill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mel Briscoe (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #864) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 12:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like to think of good buoyancy as giving you a comfort zone in the vertical dimension, and good navigation as giving you one in the horizontal dimension. Together, you are comfortable....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #513) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice perspective, Mel. I usually tell my entry level students that it takes about 20 dives, more for some, less for others, to really start to get the hang of good buoyancy control (use breathing vs BCD). Proper weighting is sooooooo important.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Esko (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, April 1, 2011 - 4:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

@ Rose
For sure a good decision to consult an experienced diver, as you learn a lot by just observing and listening.
Then you will try your on style pretty fast.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration