BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Oil Slick Leap
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Oil Slick Leap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #42) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 2:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When we did Oil Slick Leap in 2007, I remember that I had to stretch to reach the ladder to get out. Maybe we were there at low tide, don't know. BUT I have read somewhere that the ladder was damaged since then and it is harder to get out now. True?
Anyone have a current photo of the ladder, diver getting out, etc?

38 days until we are there again!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were there last month and did 5 dives, and in fact we found our first seahorse here! (which is why we went back!) It was great diving overall, but the shallows were hit hard. If you go slow in the shallows, it is amazing the amount of micro-life you can see and enjoy. We had no problem with the ladder; there was one rung missing, so made for a longer step part way out of the water, but I think they fixed it.
I do have a picture of the ladder, but I'll have to find it-I will post it shortly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #663) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a picture of the ladder from underwater, gleaming silver....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's on photo...
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #487) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 4:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A brand new ladder was installed not long ago. 2008 I think, but time flies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #664) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hope to be visiting that ladder again around Halloween this year...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #43) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

awesome! That does look like a new ladder.
I love that dive and I plan to do it at least once in April.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Schamp (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #665) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 5:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I always leap off from the flat spot to the right of the ladder.
On my returns, I try to find the buoy underwater and then come into the shallows and find the ladder underwater, not breaking the surface until then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6292) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 5:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Showoff:):)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #69) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 6:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, do you mean this flat spot, Tom??
Really, not trying to show off.... 8-)
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robint (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 11:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were at oil slick yesterday. There were a LOT of jellyfish. Everybody we talked to yesterday reported jellyfish stings at all dive sites. Nothing serious. Haven't seen any today yet though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration