BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: ID help please
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: ID help please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jennifer Munn (BonaireTalker - Post #49) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 11:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

On a night dive last week in Bonaire I saw 2 things I have never seen before and I would appreciate some help with identification.

Here is the 1st--it looked soft and flexible, for lack of better descriptive words
th_e8b918c4

The 2nd thing is this little ball on top of this sea urchin---what is that?

th_3202cc8f

Thanks for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Tol - www.vipdiving.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #424) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The first looks like Cup Corallimorph. Not sure of the function of the ball on the urcheon other than it's part of the urcheon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burt F. Witlin (BonaireTalker - Post #31) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can't tell what you are referring to from the urchin picture. The orange ball (lower left) is not part of the urchin - possibly a sponge. In any case, something the urchin ran into, not part of it. I can barely imagine a tiny ball at the center of the urchin with the spines radiating out from it. If that's what you are referring to, it's the body of the urchin. Contains the mouth and functional parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jennifer Munn (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bas, I think you are right on the corallimorph--thanks!!

As for the urchin--I am not talking about the orange thing---but rather the small whitish ball on top of the urchin---there are no spines coming from it. I am sure it is part of the urchin---but what part? I have just never seen this before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Tol - www.vipdiving.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #426) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 1:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

reproductive parts? when they spawn, 'smoke' comes from that ball. The mouth is underneath the urcheon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #1103) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 2:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sorry about that Jen I got called out.. here are the photos a bit larger and lighter..

cup

urchin ball

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1247) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_urchin
1/2 way down the page under ecology title,there's a picture on the right.....the "ball" is, the anus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry C Ligon (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #176) on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 7:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Brenda is correct. Urchins are up-side-down, with the teeth and mouth underneath and the ball of waste, or reproductive material protrudes from the "top".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. Patch (BonaireTalker - Post #70) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 7:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Another interesting thing about the night-time pic of the sea urchin is the fact that at night, the spines turn tan and brown, but in the daylight are so dark as to appear black. Apparently, sea urchins have to be added to the list of color-change marine creatures. Any ideas as to why the color change is advantageous to them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1249) on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 10:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Long Spine Urchins change spine color as they mature, Mid-way to maturity is the tan and brown phase, with the eventual dominant color being black. But, they are not "color changing" marine critters.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration