BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Anemones!
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Anemones!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle McBurnie (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 8:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi there, I'm a marine biology student on the island and I'm doing my Independent Research project on the cleaning behaviors of shrimp on different anemones, the corkscrew anemone and the giant anemone.
I was wondering if any certain sites could be suggested for finding a small abundance of these anemones (the little pederson cleaner shrimp are more often then not hiding among them). I've been having finding any information on this topic.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8697) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Kyle, pretty much every site has them. One of my favorite things to see. I know the stretch of water south from Eden Beach past the harbor entrance in loaded with corkscrew anemone. The rubble areas seem to have more.

Pederson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Tol - www.vipdiving.com (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #425) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kyle,
There are more than a small abundance of giant anemones in the channel at Cai. Many!! Some spots have a number of them bunched together.
Something else you might find interesting, in the shallows at willemstoren lighthouse you'll find many Sun Anemone. They have their own Sun Anemone Shrimp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1600) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 1:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not an expert on reef life around Bonaire. Have only dove about 1/3 of the published sites (if that). But I will say that we encountered more anemones at Red Slave than anywhere else. Not sure if any of them were the type you are looking for though. And Red Slave can have some strong current if the wind is wrong so need to use some caution.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6261) on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cai and the Lighthouse are indeed wonderful dives, but not always the most accessible or the safest, respectively. Bas is the expert, thoug...I'm just a tourist....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl (*) (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2066) on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bas - Sun Anemone? can you post a picture?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration