BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: What is this?
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: What is this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #60) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Found this interesting cluster last month, and am not sure what it is.
Any help is appreciated!
a
b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15569) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Help is hopefully on it's way Shiela, I just mentioned this to Ellen Muller on FB :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1587) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can you give an idea of size? Hard to judge with the references in the picture. My guess is that the whole area is about 12" by 6"? Making the little balls about 1/4"?

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6644) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Some sort of anemone? It's beautiful whatever it is!

Ellen???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1589) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have this lurking dread that we're going to find out it's a clutch of lionfish eggs. LOL.

e.

P.S. It's not. I looked at some images and this looks nothing like them.

(Message edited by herk_man on February 11, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #61) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's another closer look. I just zoomed my picture and cropped part of it. I can now see some sort of clear, anemone finger things with the white balls attached. Eric, I can't really remember the size, but I don't think it was bigger than your 12"x6" or so.
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1239) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

could be a knobby anemone perhaps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #62) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brenda- thanks, that just may be it! Strange, I've never seen that before and at first glance (and second & third) it looked like a patch of eggs. Here is another zoom of the individual knobs-wow, what detail we sometimes miss!
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1229) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 4:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Might be a sun anemone.
The detail is lacking in my reef creature book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1590) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 4:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think Brenda is right. Went and did some poking around on the web after she mentioned it and this looks very much like what is out there for that species.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iTimmmy (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7591) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 4:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like a corkscrew anemone to me.
yah it could be a knobby ...

(Message edited by modtim on February 11, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15570) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 5:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ellen Muller Concurs.. a knobby anemone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #63) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 7:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Much thanks, everyone! I'm still going through my 1800+ pictures, and this one had me stumped...but it is beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3278) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Say 'knobby anemome' quickly 10 times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #64) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 7:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can't hardly say it once, much less 10 times...and quickly??? LOL, it is quite the tongue twister.
Try "Toy Boat" a few times quickly...makes me feel quite stupid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1240) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 10:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cool!
I did consider the Sun Anemone, but, it is in the the blanket family, and clearly this was not a blanket type.
And, the corkscrew anemone , is very dainty and frilly, with clear corkscrews (swirly things) projecting.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration