BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Regulator
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Regulator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #19) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi friends! I think i didn´t see a post like that, so, which is your regulator? Mine is an Aqualung Cousteau 1st stage with a Micra ADJ second.
Yes, i know its old...
Looking to buy a Scubapro MK17 or MK25 with S600 or X650 second.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #392) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You're going to overpay. Apeks regs are a much better value IMHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Which Apeks model are you talking about? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Hoogenboom (www.bonphotobonaire.com) (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

KOB, can I ask you what you base your opinion on? I agree that Apeks makes a great product, but I wouldn't go that far to say that it's better than Scubapro.
I've been using MK25's and G250's - S600's for many years on professional level, for shallow reef dives to dives beyond 400ft.
My regulators are in the water almost everyday of the year and I never had a single bad experience with any of them.
On top of this, in case you do run into a problem with a reg, you'll have a hard time finding replacement parts for a Apeks around here, as well as many other places in the world.
Now, although some people might carry service kits with them when they travel, (like I do and KOB might do this too) most people do not, so you're depending on the availability of a brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3393) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 4:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Guilherme..Just bought two ScubaPro MK25/S600's. It's supposed to be an excellent reg, extremely highly rated and Bruce @ Carib Inn I believe is a dealer so any repairs should be OK.
We'll be down in March & I can't wait to try them out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #393) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 5:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Leo -- I didn't say the Apeks was better than ScubaPro. In fact, I think that they are comparable in performance. I said that you will pay more (overpay) for the same performance.

Hi Guilherme -- I have used/am using Apeks ATX200 and XTX200 for recreational scuba and the Tec 3 set for my doubles, with XTX40DS for stage bottles. Have taken my Apeks regs under the ice with no freeze up problems. My buddy dives ScubaPro Mk17 & Mk25 with the same performance.

Everyone has their own opinions about regs, those are mine. Hope this helps.

Disclaimer -- we sell both ScubaPro and Apeks in our dive store (as well as Atomic and several other brands).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Hoogenboom (www.bonphotobonaire.com) (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 5:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

KOB; my bad.
And I got to give you this;
if I'd be diving under ice, or dive in very cold water, I'd go with the Mk17 or go with a sealed Apeks.
Wouldn't take the Mk25. For temp down to about 10C/50F I'd stay with my Mk25's though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #394) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Leo -- no harm, no foul. It seems like many divers really have strong feelings about regs and I respect everyone's opinion. Wouldn't mind diving with you sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis M O'Brien (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

KOB, Don't forget my regs when/if you come this summer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By carter farrell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #157) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Two cents from a non-expert. I have a mk25/x650.
It is only my second reg so I don't consider myself an expert, but here is my opinion. Compared to Aqualungs Titan LX it is easier breathing, especially at depth or in certain positions. The x650 is however heavy. I purchased it at Bruce's and strongly recommend his store for his expertise and prices. I bring it back every year so he can check it out and so far it has not needed any attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Campbell (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I'll be the odd man out but I now use a Sherwood SR1 and In my opinion it as good if not better than any regulator on the market under $1200. I have used and still own several models of regulators that I consider to be rock solid but The SR1 is now my favorite. It is environmentally sealed and is the easiest breathing reg I ever used. Scubapro is a fine product and I have'nt had any experience with Apeks but would suggest that you at least give a glance at some information on the SR1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo Hoogenboom (www.bonphotobonaire.com) (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Only familiar with Sherwood regs on the low end,
because of it's use in rental and classes. Not my favorite regs to use, but certainly one of the favorites to maintain and service.
They are well build and very reliable. Don't have personal experience with their higher end models, but did hear more good things about the SR1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bas Noij -- www.vipdiving.com -- (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #636) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been using my MK17/S600 combi for many years, thousands of dives. Still very happy with them. I prefer the MK17 diapragm reg to the MK25 piston for the simple fact that it is sealed, there are less parts that can break, it's easier to service and last but not least...it does what it need to do for me which is give me air at a nice low breathing resistance in all conditions that I dive in. I have to admit though that I have never used the MK25 so I personally can't compare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Guilherme Losch (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 9:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Guys, for you that have more experience with equipment than me, is it worthy replace my Aqualung Cousteau 1st stage with a Micra ADJ second in perfect condition for a new one like the MK17 or MK25 with S600?
Because if i´m wasting money, i´ll not do that!

Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #402) on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 9:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you're primarily doing rec dives above 30m, save your money. The Cousteau-Micra will work just fine. And that 2nd stage is really compact and lightweight. I use those for training students in the pool.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration