BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Diving Red Slave?
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008-2009: Archives - 01-01-2009 to 03-31-2009: Diving Red Slave?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 3/29-4/4. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #249) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 12:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know most people do this dive, but so far I have not....there is something intimidating to me about the location (mostly the possibility, however remote, of being swept out past the end point of the island). It seems so exposed at that site.

That being said, we'd like to dive it on our upcoming trip. So, I am looking for advice from others as to their experiences diving Red Slave and any tips for making it a successful dive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1098) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dove it the first time with my brother-in-law in the afternoon - ripping current!! Started diving it in the morning and the current each time hasn't been nearly as bad. My wife dives it with me now as long as I dive it in the morning. My advice is dive it in the morning and be prepared to abort if the current is something you're not comfortable with once your on the dive. Shouldn't be a problem though in that I only expirienced the strong current that one time. Viz can be an issue in the shallows intially and the shallows drop of deep quicker here than other sites. Once your deep enough on the flats prior to arrival on the wall, the viz gets significantly better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd Haskell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #355) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Like Marcus says , this site takes a little planning . We had to abort due to very strong current . I am trying again next week .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicnac (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto on the current. We successfully dived it, but would have ended up being swept way past the trucks if one of our group hadn't run out of air very quickly; fortunately we decided to ascend as a group rather than leave him and his buddy to return early and we all ended up in the right spot - we just couldn't believe we'd been returned there so quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward Mizell (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #128) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 2:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We dove Red Slave in September when there was practically no current. I know this is a favorite site for a lot of people, but I really don't know why from what we saw. We went north after entry, so maybe going south would have been better. It seems like we went to forty to sixty feet and swam over a series of narrow coral islands that run perpendicular to the shore. We did get to watch a shoal of squid from very close up, which was cool, but the coral and fish life in general were not as impressive to us as most of the other dive sites on Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1299) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 3:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We dove Red Slave years ago with a group through our local dive shop. Half of us got in and headed north along the shore, the other half (led by a much less experienced DM) went south. When we came back to the exit point there was no sign of the rest of the group. They had, in fact, gotten caught in a current that pulled them a fair ways south before they were able to get out. They ended up hiking about 1/2 mile back to where they were parked to pick up the trucks and go back to get their gear. At least one person in that group vowed she wasn't getting back in the water...ever.

I don't recall much of a current and my wife was with us. It was a morning dive - probably around 9:00 am and was fantastic. We had the rare opportunity to experience a wild dolphin in about 40' of water nosing around through the sandy bottom at the edge of the reef. It stayed with us for about 10 minutes before it took off.

As long as you're smart, check your surroundings and know where you need to be to get back out, you'll be fine. I agree whole-heartedly with doing the dive early morning before things really get crazy down there.

On a side note, a small contingent of our group went back to the south end a couple days later and successfully dove at the lighthouse. It was one of those rare days when the south end was almost dead calm. I'm still kicking myself for not going down there with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8845) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We dove it the other day, wind had died down, calm there, it was early morning. Hardly any current, were able to go one way and return where we entered. Saw two eagle rays in the shallows and some nice size groupers and usual fishies there. Viz was really good for this time of year. I usually don't do this dive during the winter months, but couldn't resist with the sea as calm as it was. I did made hubby promise if current changed or picked up big time, we would head back in. :-) I love diving Lighthouse too, really nice dive, different topography, but only in the summer/fall months when seas are like a sheet of glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #711) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 4:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Have not had a problem yet at Red Slave but down at the south sites currents can be a real issue. We got caught at White Slave once and seriously feared we were going to float to Venezuela. The further south you go the more currents become safety issues. More central sites can have currents but you will generally parallel the coast and be rather close so safety is not as serious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5985) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 5:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Successfully dove it my first trip to Bonaire; but had a mishap coming out and have a nice scar on my knee as a lasting memento. I need to work on my dismount, apparently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TRACI THOMPSON (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 6:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It had a pretty strong current the first time I did it in August. But once I was down deep enough it did not seem like such a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Stanfield (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 9:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For Red Slave may I suggest walking the shore toward the light house and beyond to decide if you are comfortable exiting along that shore line. Currents going north are not a problem. You could ride the current back to the Hilma Hooker and still be able to exit most anywhere but if the current is going toward the light house your exits become limited after a while. My wife and I dive the site and always drift dive regardless of the direction of the current but we do preplan how far we want to drift.

The terrain toward the light house is definitely the nicer dive and we usually see more sea life too.

The only problem we ever have with this dive plan is I am the one that always has to walk back to get the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By constance (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #134) on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 11:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael, as I tell my husband, just as he sets out to walk for the truck, this is why women get married. Just to have someone go get the truck after drift diving. ;-) Oh, and to get a dead mouse or a bat, or...anything icky...out of the house.
We will be there next week. Drift diving the south end and my dear husband will be walking for the truck. If you see him please give him a ride. We aren't getting any younger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Stanfield (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #167) on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Constance,

I usually give anyone a ride along the south side especially if they have dive clothes on.

Also funny you should mention a bat. Just happens to be my wife's favorite animal except when it does its nightly security check of our house in the evening while we are on Bonaire. After chasing it out of the bed room a couple of times we have learned to keep all the doors except the front and back door closed. That way it comes in, tours the house and leaves. The good news is we never have any mice.

Enjoy your Bonaire drift diving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenni Stanfield (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 4:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Constance,
What Michael didn't tell is that he also carries my tank and BC into the water for me! You will love the drift between the lighthouse and Red Slave. The sea fans are gorgeous and the fish life is more abundant there. I just don't like big waves getting in or out at my old age! Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail T.** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3787) on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 5:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Mrs. Michael S.! We have some fav's in common. BDI. Al. Rona. Emily! I remember Rona telling me that Emily once chided Michael for wearing the same shirt two days in a row - as a 3 year old should be so cognizant! But Rona said Michael went up and changed his shirt. Good thing it wasn't my hubby. His fav shirt was "Same shirt, different day" We keep trying to find another each year, but they tell us they sell out as soon as they come in. I missed seeing our little Em last year.......

Sorry! Off topic! Never dove Red Slave.... Always stayed with Black Durgon Reef! :-)

(Message edited by ski9413 on February 19, 2009)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Krispi ... feeling the love... (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5060) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 4:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We dove red slave in October. The wind reversal was still strong. The current was heavy. We went north into the current then decided to play in the sand flat and watch the passer-bys. It was still a nice dive, saw some very large rays, a barracuda, Snapper...the drift does sound less stressful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By constance (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #135) on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Jenni, What a great idea!! Love it. Can't wait to share that with my dear/poor husband.
I have been knocked down on my back with my tank stuck in the rocks before and had absolutely no chance of getting back up. I had to lay there until he noticed that I wasn't just fooling around or snorkeling in some new fashion and was probably drowning. Embarrassing to have to be dragged up by the scruff of your tank. ;-) The furthest south we usually go in is around Soft Coral Garden and still feel like we can drift south if the current is running that way. Can't wait get in that beautiful water next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Clark (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz, Red Slave is about our favorite southern site. My wife & I dive it every trip at least once. It's a morning dive and better an early morning dive as Bonaire's wind often pick up during the day. We always check the wind first for a safe entry. Also, expect the wind to be a little stronger when you come up for your exit. The only time we aborted Red Slave was because of wind on the entry. Once in the water at depth, follow your training, start into the current and when you turn, you will always ride the current back. Sometimes the current is stronger than others, but nothing we felt was unsafe. Remember to stay low and close to the reef in current and try to avoid any surface swimming. We always try to come out where we entered cause we've already picked that as an easy path through the rocks. Red Slave also has a nice shallow sandy area to come up in. Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #505) on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz:

Do you dive locally? If so, where?

I think there are three hazards at this site (compared to many others on Bonaire). None much worse than many pacific northwest coast dives.

Entry/exit: Typically, you need to go up and down a little pile (a few feet at most) of coral scree on the beach. This tends to slide a bit underfoot. Going into the water, wave action tends to make the entries a bit more difficult AND makes it hard to see where your feet are going. Typical Bonaire issues in the shallows (i.e., small holes, etc.)

Mitigation: Scout out the entry before gearing up. Use surf entry techniques (i.e., be sideways to the waves, always watch for waves, keep your reg in your mouth and your mask on your face, etc.). As with most sites, I work my way to deeper water to fin up. The earlier in the day, the less the waves and currents. You and any buddy need to be OK with an abort to the dive. Scout out alternative exits in case you end up there.

Currents: I have seen no currents, strong to the north, strong to the south, and pretty much anything in between. Once, right at the corner of the island, I even had one straight at shore (we aborted after using 750 pounds of air and still be being in less that 12 feet of water. Once we stopped swimming, we are on shore in less than two minutes)

Mitigation: Again, earlier in the day is better. At these sites, I swim into the current (especially if the current is running to the south). Look for different currents at different depths -- these can be a huge benefit. (Look down slope at the soft corals). Duck behind items that give you some cover from the currents.

Navigation: Most Bonaire dive sites are a true cakewalk in terms of navigation. Here it is worth noting that depending how far you are from the entrance (especially if you go south), the compass headings to shore are pretty different.

Mitigation: Use a compass. When you scout alternative exits, pretend you are exiting there. What was the compass heading back to shore? What did it look like if you needed to pop your head up to scout around? Take into account the effect of currents on navigations (both swimming speed and slew). If you end up needing to walk to the car, leave the gear with one person and the other walks to the car. Make sure they have the keys.

Other: Great site, especially going south and around. Prefer lighthouse but that is a tougher entry/exit. I would minimize surface swimming (just as I do in any current...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 3/29-4/4. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #258) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 3:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Appreciate your comments. Looks like at least one very early morning for us, coming up. :-)

David - we just started diving in the Sound, so my experience so far is limited to Edmonds and Alki. Nothing too demanding as of yet. We're working on expanding our cold water diving resumes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jolly (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #777) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz - a sample of currents down south. but I have seen these at Yellow Sub as well so it can vary widely.

description

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz .... back to Bon 3/29-4/4. (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #259) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 6:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dan, thanks for the pic......I am going to be using my leg muscles, huh? Tell me I'm at least going to see something unusual (dare I say....pelagic) for all that current!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #240) on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, if that is going North that could be a lot of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ashley Perry (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 2:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just dove Red Slave last week (2/24) and took the advice I had seen on here and dove it first thing in the morning. Probably 8:30 or so when we went in. Little to no current and the entry wasn't bad at all. It ended up being one of the best dives of the trip. We saw three spotted eagle rays, one of the largest green morays I have ever seen, and a small turtle besides all the usual stuff you see on the Bonaire dive sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 - 6:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I dove this site in September of 08, and did NOT do it first thing in the morning. We felt surface current as we swam out from shore, and that should have been warning enough. The current was ripping, and we ended up ducking into the little "valleys" that run perpendicular to shore to get out of the "wind", then would kick up and over the ridges and duck down in the next valley. We still ended up with a 36 minute dive, but not what I want on Bonaire! All in all a nice dive, but I don't like working that hard for a good dive, especially on Bonaire!

We had friends who dove it a couple of days earlier with no current at all and absolutely raved about the site, so I'm guessing that "variable conditions" applies to this site as well.

I'd love to do this site, and will follow the directions here and try and do it REALLY early as the first dive of the day. Also, if the current was visibly ripping I woudn't hesitate to abort here and go up a bit further up the road where the currents aren't kicking as badly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ashley Perry (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Wednesday, March 4, 2009 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tom, we had to do just what you mentioned and abort a dive there two years ago. We were doing it in the afternoon and after about 5 minutes of a really stiff current, we called it quits. Too many other great sites to have to fight your way thru a dive.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration