BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Diving Bonaire: Jellies and stuff
Bonaire Talk: Diving Bonaire: Archives: Archives 2008-2009: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-07-31: Jellies and stuff
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian in sunny Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3657) on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just a heads up today there are lots of spot winged comb jellies, clouds of tunicate strings and we saw a syphensphore? at Barcedera and later at La Machaca the later can sting and I had a few welts on my cheek after the dive.

sypensphore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6221) on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yeap, been there, done that, got stung myself. Those little suckers will wake you up. The pain is also gone pretty quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6222) on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I also meant stung today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian in sunny Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3660) on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 10:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to hear that Cecil, I had no stinging but saw the welts when I was shaving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3304) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Brian - that's simple - stop shaving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6224) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

There was bunches of jellies at Karpata this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Bonaire Bound in May (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5581) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AAARRRRGGGGG!!!! Thanks for the update. I'm going to go buy a few more epi-pens for my trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian in sunny Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3663) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tribs

Good news strong current late morning and now just a few tunicates and we didn't see any other jellies, well at La Machaca/Cliff anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian in sunny Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3664) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Mara

You packed yet???

I don't shave my earlobes (usually) and theres a welt there as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3316) on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Brian - nope, not packed yet. Actually trying to make out my packing list. I do have gear separated and put into dive bags but not packed. Actually have to use mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit tonight as I am watching my referral student do his last confined water dive before we head to Bonaire.

Oh - so you don't shave your earlobes - oh - OK - well then, never mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #291) on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 3:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brian and BT folk,
Thanks for posting this interesting jelly pic from Bonaire. I sent it to other jellyfolk at the Smithsonian and then on to Brown U. I thought the dialogue would be interesting for BT folk too. Bonaire is not just a wonderful place...it is an outrageously wonderful place!
Bud

From: Casey Dunn <casey_dunn@brown.edu> [Add to Address Book]
To: Allen Collins <collinsa@si.edu>, bud13@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Jellies from Bonaire
Date: Mar 20, 2008 7:40 AM
Yup, it is a physonect- Forskalia edwardsi. The whorling of the
nectophores is indicative of Forskalia, and the id to species is based
on the overall density and gestalt of elements in the siphosome.

Best,
-C

On Mar 20, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Collins, Allen wrote:
> Hi Bud:
> I don't know the species, but it is definitely a big siphonophore. I
> think I make out a pneumatophore, so it appears to be some kind of
> physonect. But I could be way off.
> I am cc'ing Casey Dunn, who may be able to identify it further from
> the picture.
> --Allen
>
>
> Dr. Allen G. Collins - phone: (202) 633-0645, fax: (202) 633-8848
> Invertebrate Zoologist with Curatorial Responsibilities for
> Medusozoa and Hexactinellida
> National Systematics Laboratory of NOAA Fisheries Service
> National Museum of Natural History, MRC-153
> Smithsonian Institution, P.O. Box 37012, Washington, DC 20013-7012
> USA
>
> For FedEx (or other couriers), please use:
> Smithsonian Institution, MRC 0163, Natural History Building, West
> Loading Dock
> 10th and Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC 20560
>
> The contents of this message are mine personally and do not
> necessarily reflect any position of the Government or the National
> Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: bud13@earthlink.net [mailto:bud13@earthlink.net]
> Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:53 AM
> To: Collins, Allen
> Subject: Jellies from Bonaire
>
> Hey Allen,
> I've seen a lot of jellies, siphonophores, tunicates on Bonaire but
> this is a first for me. What do you think these are? Bonaire is
> loaded with paired-bell siphonophores right now as well.
> Happy jelling,
> Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian in sunny Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3692) on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 5:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bud

We saw two more today one at Kallies Reef about 18" across and another at Machaca, both were being eaten, the first by a small Hawksbill and the second by white spotted file fish. No pics as I was on wide angle and could not focus on a small semi translucent object.

Beware folks these are toxic and sting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Boat Chick************** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4715) on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:35 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad to know they are being eaten...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #293) on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Brian for the jelly report. Were you stung by the physonect? Many siphonophores do sting including MoWar.

Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian in sunny Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3700) on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 5:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bud

I did find two whelts on my face but did not see or feel anything when it happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #296) on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 12:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

BT,
Brian's excellent siphonophore work reminds me we have started a new round of research about jelly ID and also their stings. This study will include different species and different levels of toxicity. We are also collecting basic field reports of sighted jelly species.

Please drop me an email or report it on BT any jellies sighted. If you are interested in partipating this spring/summer in the sting study drop me an email.

Thanks,
Bud Gillan

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration