BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: Getting Lot's of Gear to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 2002-10-28 to 2003-04-30: Getting Lot's of Gear to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LHenslee on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 9:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone have advice on how to get several tanks and other bulky gear into Bonaire from the States?
How much lead time should I allow if I ship?
I'm sure it would cost a fortune to mail, but probably not as much as paying the extra luggage fee on AA.
Opinions welcome...
Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Are you moving here, Les?

The best way to get big, heavy stuff here is via ship freight. Use AMCAR in Miami, and Rocargo here on Bonaire to clear the shipment for you. See http://www.amcarfreight.com

They charge by volume and will take things which the airlines won't touch for security reasons.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LHenslee on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 10:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No, not moving. I'm starting down the path to get educated in tech diving, and as I'm preparing to get all this freakin' gear I'm thinkin', "How the heck does one get all that to Bonaire?"

If I spend a small fortune on doubles, stage tanks, backup computer, multiple first and second stages, yadda, yadda, yadda, I don't want to use rental gear when I dive. Ha ha.

Thanks for the info, Jake!

You know, I was trying to remember the place where we all went for dinner back in April and I stumbled across it in another post: Gibi's. Mmmmm, tasty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By C. Kritagent on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 6:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Unless you are loaded with time and money, I strongly suggest you consider taking your training, and renting neccessary techical equipment, on Bonaire.

Check out www.rectekscuba.com. Walt will be able to provide any/all training and equipment you desire or require.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 8:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Les,

I do remember Gibi's (still eat there regularly), and I also agree with the above recommendation that you rent stuff here. It's going to cost you a bit of change to get stuff to Bonaire, and a fortune to get it back. I tried to ship two small UPSes back to the US from here via boat freight and was quoted a rate of $250!!! - That's about as much as the UPSes cost new! I can't imagine how much it would cost to ship all your equipment back to the U.S. from here.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 9:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

So it's more expensive to get things TO the island than FROM it? Why is that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc @ CrystalVisions on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 9:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

DUH... that should be the other way around of course...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have no idea why it's so much more expensive to ship things from here by boat. You'd figure with all the empty containers heading back to the U.S. from here on the boat coming to Curacao and Bonaire, there would be an interest in selling off that space at a reasonable price.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LHenslee on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I checked out Walt's site. Looks like a good alternative. I'm going through the process of where I want to go next with my education.

I loved my PADI Nitrox course. The science and math behind it is so fascinating. This is coming from a guy that has always HATED math. :-)

Side note: I got my Nitrox training from Marc over at Buddy Dive. Ya know, aka Moonfish.

As for renting gear, call me a nervous little fraidy cat, but I just hate letting my life depend on rental gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LHenslee on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 1:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, am I a total nerd for having my dive education planned out in a workplan in MS-Project.

Complete with external dependencies, milestones, and deliverables. Ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can understand not using scuba rental gear at an 'average' shop but I believe you will find that the people who have used Walt III's tek gear will tell you he isn't 'average' and that you would be quite safe in using his gear. Hopefully some will comment here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 2:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The tanks are the heavy things among your gear, aren't they?? Surely rental tanks would be trusted. Everyone, almost, uses rentals on island. Bring regulators and things but not the heavy tanks. Talk with Walt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LHenslee on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 2:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great thoughts, Glen.

I have never dove (dived?) on anything but rental tanks. Plus I save the weight and bulk. Plus that will save me the cost of doubles and a manifold ($999 USD).

I should have opened a tech diving thread...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fiona Rattray on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 4:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, Glen, I agree from personal experience that Walt is meticulous in taking care of his rental gear. You'll be in good hands, Les!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration