BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: American Eagle?
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: American Eagle?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just read in the Feb. 3, 2000 edition of the St. Maarten Daily Herald (the only large English language newspaper in the Netherlands Antilles) that last Friday (the 2nd) the Council of Ministers of the Netherlands Antilles "approved American Eagle fliths between Bonaire and Aruba" and "Bonaire wants to be a dual destination, offering tourists vacationing in Aruba a chance to go to Bonaire for a small amount. Negotiations with Air ALM to fly this route were unsuccessful."

The article was actually about KLM dropping Air ALM as its ground handler in Curacao.

In any case, interesting news, although at this stage that's all it is - news. If it actually does get to American Eagle flying between Aruba and Bonaire on a regular basis, it will make connections to Bonaire via Aruba much more viable (and also eliminate the need for folks like me who detest flying ALM to have to use them at all any more).

More as this news (hopefully) develops.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Flavin on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 5:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well,
American Eagle is no bargin. I flown the agony eagle and it can be just a difficult task, to put it midly. Hopefully they will have a new out look on passengers and flight schedules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan & Joan Zale on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 6:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, That seem like a very old article you are refering to, Feb 3, 2000???? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 7:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops. At least I'm getting the year right when I write my checks :-)

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 1:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like it might help out a lot of folks who need to get to Bonaire, but I hope it does not "encourage" folks who love the "Aruba" type experience to start visiting Bonaire. It is was that sort of "atmosphere" and multitude of crowds after over twelve years of our visiting Aruba that peaked our interests in visiting Bonaire. Two different worlds...hope it remains that way, too. Call me selfish. Call me closed-minded......it's OK...we just love Bonaire the way she is now...don't want to see her change TOO much....Aruba most likely looked like Bonaire fifty years ago...now look at her.(Aruba) Shame and a pity. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott saltsgaver on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 9:44 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,
What is the staus of the Bonaireian airline that was reported on late last year in the Cosatal Reporter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 10:30 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Scott, glad to see you finally stopped "lurking". (grin) Club Mud Forever !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 1:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As far as I know, there are still active plans going on to create an inter-island (Bonaire, Aruba, Curacao) air line based in Bonaire.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 3:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

More news on the American Eagle front:

---------------
Row Over American Eagle's Bonaire to Aruba Flights
The Daily Herald, St. Maarten (http://www.thedailyherald.com) - Feb. 6, 2001, Page 6

WILLEMSTAD—A decision by the Council of Ministers to allow American Eagle to transport passengers between Bonaire and Aruba has led to friction within the ruling federal coalition. The FOL party has sent a letter to Prime Minister Miguel Pourier expressing its surprise, while the Antillean national airline Air ALM has also indicated its unhappiness. But Bonaire’s UPB party, which also supports the Central Government, says it will step out of the coalition if the decision is reversed.

FOL Senator Eus Anthony said the party had recently met with the Air ALM management and was informed that it had sent a letter on the issue to the Council of Ministers explaining the negative consequences of having American Eagle enter the local inter-island market. Air ALM suggested some form of cooperation between the two companies instead, where one would buy seats on the other. But airline president Mario
Evertsz was confronted with the news that permission had been granted last week. He said he could not imagine how the Cabinet would take such an illogical decision with disastrous effects for the already struggling Air ALM.

Ironically, Minister of Transport and Communication Maurice Adriaens of the FOL and his party now want
a coalition meeting to discuss the issue. Anthony could not say if there may be consequences for the minister, who is currently abroad.

But UPB leader Ramoncito Booi supports the decision, as it supports the dual-destination tourism the island is trying to develop with Aruba. "We certainly don't want to harm ALM, but in 30 years it has never shown a real interest to do this," he said, adding that his party will withdraw its support and State Secretary in charge of ALM Torre if the decision does not stand.
-----

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Springer on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 11:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just checked my SABRE computer and American Airlines/Eagle will offer service to Bonaire!

Looks like AA is going to operate a ATR turboprop that seats about 64 passengers.

Looks like flights will start June 2, 2001.

AA flight 5622 operates San Juan(SJU) to Bonaire(BON) departing 610pm and arriving 820pm Tuesday, Thrusdays, and Saturdays.

AA flight 5623 operates BON to SJU departing at 625apm and arriving 845am on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

The operator for the American Eagle flights is Executive.

And most importantly to me these flights make connections in San Juan from/to Dallas/Ft Worth!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration