BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Getting to Bonaire: DIRECT to Bonaire
Bonaire Talk: Getting to Bonaire: Archives: Archives 1999-2005: Archives - 1999-06-02 to 2001-12-31: DIRECT to Bonaire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Pezzack on Friday, January 12, 2001 - 10:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone in the northeast or who can drive or fly into Toronto should look into Canada 3000 flights direct to Bonaire once a week on Mondays. Sure makes it easy to get there and is relatively cheap, and in Canadian dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mitch sisak on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 12:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Canada 3000 has direct flights to Bonaire with a stop in Curacao and it became very very popular. So, for your information, you have to reserve a lot of time in advance. We were very lucky to have seats for the end of January considering we called at the end of November! Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Saturday, January 13, 2001 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The gentlemen are correct. But perhaps more interest would increase the number of flights. Currently Can 3000 ads are promoting trips to St. Maarten and Curacao for sun and diving. St.Maarten I suppose for the Fr. Language as much as anything. And lots of Quebecois
go there or own businesses there. Bonaire is not widely known here. As to reservations, I believe Josie Understands. Don't know current prices, but for example $800. of Can. goods or services(like a round-trip ticket) costs Am$400. You get 1.50 CAD for every $1 U.S. We do a little better with the NAf or Guilder. Hope this helps.Believe downflight is straight to Bonaire. Return stops at Curacao. Check!Things change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Pezzack on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 6:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

$400 US is about $600 Cdn. We flew down Jan 1 and the flight was not full, a number of people we talked to had called only a week or two ahead of time, so call if you want to take a chance.I only posted because of the number of people we met who had a lot of connections to get to Bonaire who would have been better to drive or fly to Toronto. I forget cost but will repost if I find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 11:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello R.P. No criticism was intended or implied, so I hope none was inferred. Having received similar info to your previous posting,I thought that's what I was expressing. And that the dollar eqivalency is variable,too. While generally the exchange rate I have been quoted would be as you state, the currency converter the day of my previous posting was quoting l.50 Can. for every $1U.S. and $1CAD was that day equal to 1.18 NAGuilders.I think we all appreciate everyone's efforts to keep us up to date.N'est pas? Check.Things change!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mitch sisak on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 1:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

For more information: http://www.canada3000.com/
thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Sunday, January 21, 2001 - 6:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We're scheduled down on Canada3000 on February 5, and it cost us about $480 US RT each. Great fare, particularly compared to anything else we could get from Upstate NY, and a MUCH easier trip.

The website does list the Bonaire flights on the Flight Schedule section, but there's no Bonaire destination on the Reservations section. You have to call Dream Vacations, who do the booking. (1-877-735-5633 or 416-503-1300 in the 416-905 areas)

We booked in October, and there were four seats left on the 2/5 flight. I just tried to see if I could change my reservations to later, but there was nothing available except 2/26 for just a week. Yesterday, they could have booked me for 2/12 but just for a week also, but that was gone today. We currently have a two-week booking, and wouldn't think of a shorter trip!

It's interesting, they tell me they don't take two-week bookings to Curacao, only to Bonaire. The flights are on Monday, through early April, and stop in Bonaire, then Curacao on the way down, and Bonaire, then Curacao on the way home. Go figure that -- you can do two weeks to Bonaire, but only one to Curacao and it's the same plane! Go figure that! They do packages, but we just do air only (then stay at our very favorite place of all, Bonaire Town Homes, at a price no package could ever match!)

Last minute reservations may certainly be possible, but it's been my experience with them that they fill right up early (even on their European flights during the summer). That said, I'd ALWAYS try them first!! I just wish they'd take a longer than two-week reservation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Mullen on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 11:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Last minute reservations are possible, I saw an add in the Toronto Sun yesterday (Wed.) for the Divi Flamingo in Bonaire for Feb. 5 for one week for $879. We booked back in November for two weeks and paid close to that amount for air only. Just to clarify the flight to Bonaire is direct and stops in Curacao on the return leg. Have fun Josie, we might pass each other at the Flamingo airport on the 19th!

PS. I'm working on the 5th, I'll do whatever I can to make sure your flight leaves on time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 12:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK Kerri - this one's for you! This COULD be cleverly disguised as a business trip - you are a writer facing writer's block and need to travel to Bonaire for inspiration, right?? frog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Keri/Greg - I have friends that live in the frozen North. Are you saying Canada3000 flies to and lands on Bonaire instead of terminating on Curacao and having to transfer to ALM? This is the first I have heard of it and they would be greatly interested. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 9:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greg, we'll be glad to know you're looking out after us on Monday! Can't Wait.
Kelly, Canada3000 leaves Toronto every Monday (December through first week in April, I think)at about 12:30 pm. Flies DIRECTLY to Bonaire (non-stop), drops off arriving passengers then picks up departing passengers; then flies to Curacao and drops off arriving passengers then picks up departing passengers; then flies directly from Curacao to Toronto (non-stop), arriving about 12:30 am.
With the one plane, they take about 12 hours to get us all there, bring us all back (different weeks, of course).

Cost is great. We always just get air only. But, it looks as if there might be some great last-minute choices also. We found them mainly already full for the February period, but of course, everyone else is too.

I'm pretty certain this is the schedule. It's what my tickets show. However, I couldn't find this on the website, had to call the 800 number listed on thewebsite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Pezzack on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 11:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Your synopsis is correct except we got delayed coming back landed in Toronto at 2am. For people outside Toronto airport hotels have great overnight deals, and if you drive often some offer free parking while you are away, or there is lots of economy lots around. Our flight was not full and a few people I talked to got great last minute deals but you cannot count on them. It certainly is the way to go if you are near or can get to Toronto by air. I'd even fly into Toronto and then go direct, it has to be better than some of the connections some people told us about they went through. No I do not work for Canada 3000, and actually hate the cramped quarters of charter airlines normally, but it is the only way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerri Freeman on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 11:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since I'm behind, a collective note: Hazel,I'm enrolling in yourclass next semester. Love the froggie,too. Kelly Does this mean you don't read our deathless talkboards every day? Ross and Josie wouldn't lie to you. I'm a different tale,er..story.Greg,that's even cheaper than what I saw on Sat.But, since I can't go(gnash,gnash) a word in your pink,shell-like ear.Josie for you,too. One pellet of blue-ice leaves that plane before that plane leaves the flightpath nearest my back yard, and I'll find out where you live.......:-)Yeah, Yeah, have a good trip...and like that (gnash gnash)^^^^^teeth once gnashed! Oh yeh, welcome Greg(whine,moan etc. etc. etc. )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 9:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie - tanks. Was not aware of Canada3000.

Ross - Was also not aware it was a charter airline. Talked with my friends last nite, they will stay on "regular" airlines.

Kerri - Do I read the "talkboards", nope. I scan each thread for new and/or interesting content. Canada 3000 appeared to be a very convienient way for some very dear friends in northern Maine to join me in Bonaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 7:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Although Canada3000 is a "charter" it's very high quality, reliable and is heavily used. It's not a one-off type of thing. They have a regular schedule all over Canada, to warmer climes in the winter and to Europe during the summer. We've probably used them 10 times in the last six years, and have always been pleased. No less room than "regular" economy seating, often better food. On time it seems , unless it's an airport problem ,because they do't have to wait for a plane to come from somewhere else as much. For us in Rochester NY, it's often SO much more convenient than getting to another gateway city first to get anywhere.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Hirsh on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 8:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Again my tanks... I will pass your vote of confidence along, anything to defrost those poor souls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Pezzack on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 10:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I did not mean to imply Canada 3000 was less safe or fly by night, it is a reasonably large airline used extensively by canadians especially flying to southern destinations. Food is no better or worse than other airlines, movies often as bad as other airlines (at least they have 2 on the way down to Bonaire), and staff as happy as they can be doing a 12 hour day dealing with whiny passengers and kids. In my experience charters tend to have the maximum number of seats allowed for that airplane while some other carriers give slightly more room, but charters are made to move large numbers cheaply, and I will never pay for business class. I would definately fly Canada 3000 again if I return to Bonaire, it is better than laying over in Miami or Dallas or wherever.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration